New here, 50 years old

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Smartgirl10
Contributor
Contributor

New here, 50 years old

Post by Smartgirl10 »

Hello, I wanted to introduce myself.
I started to get very scattered and forgetful in the past few months. I was adopted so I got my DNA done for health info, finding out I am E4-E3.
I was prescribed Ativan years ago and have taken it on and off. After researching that drug I cut it out completely. I'm disappointed that doctors don't warn you about the dementia risk with anti-anxiety meds.
Ive always been smart and even joined a group of higher IQs. My biggest fear has always been "losing my mind/intelligence". I began researching nuerogenesis and am implementing that heavily into my days now.
I used to be a runner, and observed a big decline in functioning when I stopped. I've taken that back up again and have had a very slight improvement.
I'm also changing diet.
I'm hoping with this preventative mindset and actions I can avoid this disease, and maybe even get smarter!
We will see!
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New here, 50 years old

Post by JudyH »

Welcome, I am also a newbie just starting down this e3/e4 road so I have little to offer except this is an excellent resource with many gifted contributors.

Your use of the word scattered connected with me. I do not know if any of this applies to you but I found a significant negative change in my focus and attentiveness to details recently when I went through menopause. It took me a couple of months to recognize that my symptoms were much more an increase in my previously mild/moderate untreated ADHD symptoms instead of my memory. I googled menopause and ADHD and there is definitely a connection with the drop in estrogen. I don't intend to treat my ADHD but just my awareness has helped me improve the situation by forcing myself to be more mindful about engaging in what I am trying to accomplish and double checking work I am doing and just laughing at myself when i catch myself with my mind elsewhere or 10 steps ahead of where it belongs. I was rushing out last week because it had snowed overnight and was just turning to freezing rain. Too heavy for me to shovel so I wanted to get it off the driveway before it became too heavy for my snowblower to throw it. I put on my snowpants, my snow boots, my hat and my big mittens and was grabbing the door knob to exit the house and enter my garage when I realized I had not put on my winter coat! Who puts on their mittens and doesn't notice they don't have their coat on? I laughed, put on my coat and cleared the driveway in the freezing rain!
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Smartgirl10 wrote:Hello, I wanted to introduce myself.
I started to get very scattered and forgetful in the past few months. I was adopted so I got my DNA done for health info, finding out I am E4-E3.
I was prescribed Ativan years ago and have taken it on and off. After researching that drug I cut it out completely. I'm disappointed that doctors don't warn you about the dementia risk with anti-anxiety meds.
Ive always been smart and even joined a group of higher IQs. My biggest fear has always been "losing my mind/intelligence". I began researching nuerogenesis and am implementing that heavily into my days now.
I used to be a runner, and observed a big decline in functioning when I stopped. I've taken that back up again and have had a very slight improvement.
I'm also changing diet.
I'm hoping with this preventative mindset and actions I can avoid this disease, and maybe even get smarter!
We will see!
Welcome, Smartgirl! thank you for joining us and introducing yourself.
A bit of reassurance as you jump into the wide world of ApoE4's: at 50, it is unlikely that any changes you notice in your cognition would be related to your ApoE4 allele. Cognitive problems associated with ApoE4 status tend to begin later in life.
Nonetheless, I understand completely that it can be a shock to find out you have a genetic risk factor for Alzheimer's disease and especially when you are experiencing being scattered and forgetful. As you'll learn as you explore the site, within this community the ApoE4 allele is not regarded as a determining factor, but rather a risk factor. We can take powerful steps in minimizing that risk and improving our odds of maintaining all our cognitive functions intact as we age.
If you haven't found it yet, the Primer is a great place to get an overview of both the risks and the interventions. You'll see that exercise is one of the best interventions, so your reintroducing running is a real asset especially since you mention that you noticed a big decline in your functioning when you stopped.
I'm wondering if perhaps your running also used to reduce your stress and you didn't have an effective stress management method when you quit. Just throwing that out because it does apply to my personal experience. I've noticed that when I do not make time for the things that diminish my stress, my cognition really suffers. Scattered and forgetful, as you say of yourself.

You mention that you are changing your diet. What kind of dietary changes are you making, and what other neurogenesis steps are you taking?

Your hopes are well-founded: With your preventative mindset and actions, you are stacking the odds in favor of your longterm health.
You may well have to change your user name to "Evensmartergirl10"!

A few other tools you might find useful: We have a Wiki that you can use to take a deeper dive into specific areas of interest and also has a section I highly recommend on how to get the most out of this site. For researching previous posts on a topic, you can use the Search function which you access through the magnifying glass to the left of your user name.

Remember to go easy on yourself, making changes gradually. You have time. You have already begun to make significant changes and to reap the benefits.
Again, extending you a warm welcome and looking forward to your continued participation in our community.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
dcox
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dcox »

I'm also changing diet.
We will see!
Welcome Smartgirl10!!
I love your mindset and the hope you have shared in your post! What we believe we can do is such an amazing "stimulus" or motivator to accomplish great things in our lives!! I think you will find as you explore ApoE4.info people who share your mindset and hope for the future. Not matter what brought us to this place we all have a common passion to kick AD, dementia and all cognitive decline to the proverbial "curb". It takes compassion, with ourselves and others, grit to get over, through, under, and around obstacles, perseverance to "stick with it", gratitude for every step forward no matter how many seem to go the other direction, and hope to see a better tomorrow!!

Your proactive nature is such a blessing and your wonderful love of learning what it takes to keep your mind and your body thriving no matter what your genes may say will serve you well on this journey. It looks as though with your research into neurogenesis you are implementing great things already that will help your genes express themselves in positive, health promoting ways (love epigentics)!

Others have given you great advice on using the site to your benefit. We look forward to hearing about your journey, what works for you and even what you've tried that wasn't a success, as these stories may help someone else on their journey.

I love your enthusiasm and positivity.

Find your joy and hope in each new day and each new discovery along your path,
Deb
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Enrolled in Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches
Choose Hope
Smartgirl10
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Smartgirl10 »

JudyH wrote:Welcome, I am also a newbie just starting down this e3/e4 road so I have little to offer except this is an excellent resource with many gifted contributors.

Your use of the word scattered connected with me. I do not know if any of this applies to you but I found a significant negative change in my focus and attentiveness to details recently when I went through menopause. It took me a couple of months to recognize that my symptoms were much more an increase in my previously mild/moderate untreated ADHD symptoms instead of my memory. I googled menopause and ADHD and there is definitely a connection with the drop in estrogen. I don't intend to treat my ADHD but just my awareness has helped me improve the situation by forcing myself to be more mindful about engaging in what I am trying to accomplish and double checking work I am doing and just laughing at myself when i catch myself with my mind elsewhere or 10 steps ahead of where it belongs. I was rushing out last week because it had snowed overnight and was just turning to freezing rain. Too heavy for me to shovel so I wanted to get it off the driveway before it became too heavy for my snowblower to throw it. I put on my snowpants, my snow boots, my hat and my big mittens and was grabbing the door knob to exit the house and enter my garage when I realized I had not put on my winter coat! Who puts on their mittens and doesn't notice they don't have their coat on? I laughed, put on my coat and cleared the driveway in the freezing rain!

Thank you!, Yes, absolutely Ive noticed a difference since the last year of menopause. I've been getting pellets and they seem to help slightly.
Smartgirl10
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Smartgirl10 »

dcox wrote:
I'm also changing diet.
We will see!
Welcome Smartgirl10!!
I love your mindset and the hope you have shared in your post! What we believe we can do is such an amazing "stimulus" or motivator to accomplish great things in our lives!! I think you will find as you explore ApoE4.info people who share your mindset and hope for the future. Not matter what brought us to this place we all have a common passion to kick AD, dementia and all cognitive decline to the proverbial "curb". It takes compassion, with ourselves and others, grit to get over, through, under, and around obstacles, perseverance to "stick with it", gratitude for every step forward no matter how many seem to go the other direction, and hope to see a better tomorrow!!

Your proactive nature is such a blessing and your wonderful love of learning what it takes to keep your mind and your body thriving no matter what your genes may say will serve you well on this journey. It looks as though with your research into neurogenesis you are implementing great things already that will help your genes express themselves in positive, health promoting ways (love epigentics)!

Others have given you great advice on using the site to your benefit. We look forward to hearing about your journey, what works for you and even what you've tried that wasn't a success, as these stories may help someone else on their journey.

I love your enthusiasm and positivity.

Find your joy and hope in each new day and each new discovery along your path,
Deb
Thank you for your reply! I relate to your statement. "It takes compassion, with ourselves and others, grit to get over, through, under, and around obstacles, perseverance to "stick with it", gratitude for every step forward no matter how many seem to go the other direction, and hope to see a better tomorrow!!
It is easy to get discouraged when life gets busy. Too easy not to exercise, but the aversion to the risk is strong. I'm loving reading all the information here and it helps to know we aren't alone in this!
Thanks!
Smartgirl10
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Smartgirl10 »

floramaria wrote:
I'm also changing diet.
We will see!
Welcome, Smartgirl! thank you for joining us and introducing yourself.
A bit of reassurance as you jump into the wide world of ApoE4's: at 50, it is unlikely that any changes you notice in your cognition would be related to your ApoE4 allele. Cognitive problems associated with ApoE4 status tend to begin later in life.
Nonetheless, I understand completely that it can be a shock to find out you have a genetic risk factor for Alzheimer's disease and especially when you are experiencing being scattered and forgetful. As you'll learn as you explore the site, within this community the ApoE4 allele is not regarded as a determining factor, but rather a risk factor. We can take powerful steps in minimizing that risk and improving our odds of maintaining all our cognitive functions intact as we age.
If you haven't found it yet, the Primer is a great place to get an overview of both the risks and the interventions. You'll see that exercise is one of the best interventions, so your reintroducing running is a real asset especially since you mention that you noticed a big decline in your functioning when you stopped.
I'm wondering if perhaps your running also used to reduce your stress and you didn't have an effective stress management method when you quit. Just throwing that out because it does apply to my personal experience. I've noticed that when I do not make time for the things that diminish my stress, my cognition really suffers. Scattered and forgetful, as you say of yourself.

You mention that you are changing your diet. What kind of dietary changes are you making, and what other neurogenesis steps are you taking?

Your hopes are well-founded: With your preventative mindset and actions, you are stacking the odds in favor of your longterm health.
You may well have to change your user name to "Evensmartergirl10"!

A few other tools you might find useful: We have a Wiki that you can use to take a deeper dive into specific areas of interest and also has a section I highly recommend on how to get the most out of this site. For researching previous posts on a topic, you can use the Search function which you access through the magnifying glass to the left of your user name.

Remember to go easy on yourself, making changes gradually. You have time. You have already begun to make significant changes and to reap the benefits.
Again, extending you a warm welcome and looking forward to your continued participation in our community.

Thanks so much!
As far as the steps I'm taking, I've decided to do a whole heart/brain healthy diet. Lots and lots of vegetables, green teas, fish oil, MCT oil etc. I've also been studying the physiological response to exercise, and am amazed at how it improves brain resiliency. It is a bit hard for me to make myself exercise every day. I really don't like running, but I'm more repelled by the potential of cognitive decline. I am hoping that if I do have any decline I can regenerate new neurons and sustain them in a more healthy environment . It is amazing me this isn't required learning. We teach the basics, eat right, don't party too much, don't do drugs, but I believe if we did a more in depth curriculum in schools it would change society for the better. I'm just really happy I did the DNA tests and know what I need to do now for the best possible outcome. I wish I knew sooner!