Excited to be a new member!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Marjalu
Contributor
Contributor

Excited to be a new member!

Post by Marjalu »

Hi, my name is Kathleen, and I'm excited to be joining such a wonderful community! Everyone seems so supportive and helpful -- and I'm amazed by the wealth of knowledge and information that you all are so generously sharing. :-) After reading the Bredesen published research, I decided to get his book to learn more -- and in the process, found out about APOE4.info.

I don't know (yet) what my APOE status is (I'm 56 years old), but I have a strong family history of Alzheimer's: my grandmother, mother, and aunt all passed away from the disorder. When my grandmother, who was very dear to me, was first diagnosed, hardly anyone even knew what Alzheimer's was (she was actually diagnosed in 1981, shortly after Rita Hayworth's diagnosis was made public). I was extremely close to her (she lived only five miles away when I was growing up), and I'll never forget when she confided in me that she knew something was wrong. I was in high school at the time and had taken her grocery shopping. When we came out of the store, she was extremely disoriented and confused; I could feel her fear and distress, and I remember holding her and hugging her in the parking lot as she cried on my shoulder. That was in the early stage of her disease, the progression of which I witnessed, along with my mother, very closely over the years. Because of the experience with my grandmother, I was able to recognize the early signs of Alzheimer's in my mother. I lived near my mother and was able to see her often, anticipating her changing needs as the her disease progressed. It was heartbreaking to go through Alzheimer's again with my mom; I admired her courage and determination, and I miss her everyday. Her sister (my aunt) passed away within the same year.

Given my family history, I'm understandably scared to death of getting Alzheimer's. However, after learning about the Bredesen protocol, I have hope for the first time, and I feel empowered to take control and make some lifestyle changes that I think will be very helpful in potentially minimizing the impact of Alzheimers in my life.

I look forward to learning more and being a part of APOE4.info!!

--Kathleen

P.S. My "handle" Marjalu is actually a combination of my grandmother's, mother's, and aunt's names -- in their memory. :)
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Excited to be a new member!

Post by NF52 »

Marjalu wrote:Hi, my name is Kathleen...I don't know (yet) what my APOE status is (I'm 56 years old), but I have a strong family history of Alzheimer's: my grandmother, mother, and aunt all passed away from the disorder...
Given my family history, I'm understandably scared to death of getting Alzheimer's. However, after learning about the Bredesen protocol, I have hope for the first time, and I feel empowered to take control and make some lifestyle changes that I think will be very helpful in potentially minimizing the impact of Alzheimers in my life.
I look forward to learning more and being a part of APOE4.info!!
--Kathleen
P.S. My "handle" Marjalu is actually a combination of my grandmother's, mother's, and aunt's names -- in their memory. :)
A warm welcome, Kathleen! (aka "Marjalu"),

What a wonderful tribute to three important women in your life to combine their names into your user name. Most users who post replies to you will use "Marjalu", but if you have a preference either way, please let us know. Kathleen sounds like a lovely Irish name--although I have a cousin who is 100% German-American with that same great name.

Your use of the words "empowered", "hope" and "take control" are themselves strong predictors of your ability to chart a path through the still-developing knowledge base around ApoE 4 and its affect on the risk of Alzheimer's as well as (sometimes) cardiac and other issues. It took me several years to get to where you are today after I found out my 4/4 results unexpectedly from 23&me 5 years ago. Now, at close to 67, I feel much more able to critically read studies, blogs, listen to podcasts, compare recommendations and decide what works for me. Best of all, like you, I feel that my mother, aunts, mother-in-law, and paternal grandmother, all of whom died with some variation of Alzheimer's and vascular dementia, would be thrilled that you and I and other strong women are determined to "minimize our risk". To give credit to the men, my dad, who died at age 67 of cardiac arrest after unrecognized risk factors, would also be glad to know that the ApoE 4 he and my mother gave me is what helps me use my brain to keep both my heart and brain healthy and to help his grandchildren (all of whom are healthy ApoE 3/4s in their 30's) and great-grandchildren stay healthy.

So you are now part of a community that seeks to learn and support each other and to spread the word about ApoE 4 to make life better for all who may be impacted by it.

At 56, you have some options that I didn't have at 62 about hormone replacement therapy. Like almost everything, there are no definitive studies, but here are some links to helpful sections of the forum:

"How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website is a user-friendly resource for how to quote people so they see your replies, how to search topics, how to subscribe to forums of high interest and how to send Private Messages.

Our PRIMER, written by Dr. Stavia, a practicing family physician who is also ApoE 4/4, begins with a quick overview and has links to specific topics, including estrogen and HRT. It also has a handy link to an audio version for those of us who like to listen to our reading!

Since you haven't had testing yet, you may want to browse the WELCOME page, especially the section on Thinking About Testing?

Since you have a family history of Alzheimer's, you may also want to check out some of our entries on clinical trials, which are generally geared to people ages 55 or 60 and older. Some of the "registries" will test your ApoE4 status at no cost; they may, however, not give you the results, unless you may be eligible for a trial based on your results. This is a helpful link from the National Institute of Health's Clinical Trials website: Learn about Clinical Studies It includes info about protection for participants and questions to ask.

Feel free to jump into any conversation. What starts out feeling like a fire hose of ideas becomes more like a great coffee house with friends. We're glad you found us!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Marjalu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Marjalu »

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for all of your recommendations! I feel so lucky and grateful—and can’t wait to dig in!! :)
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Marjalu wrote:Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for all of your recommendations! I feel so lucky and grateful—and can’t wait to dig in!! :)
Thanks for the kind words!

Here's a link to what I think is the most viewed "thread" on the forum, on the topic of HRT. It happens to have a new post today from "Slacker", one of our moderators. Dr. Peter Attia hosts a podcast series that is popular, and usually has one guests who are experts in their field:
Hormone Replacement Therapy.

This may be an example of a topic that you would want to "subscribe" to, which means you get an email notification of any new posts. To do that, you click on the small icon of a wrench, just below the bold font title of the forum thread at the top of the page. The drop down menu shows the first choice as "subscribe".

How-to subscribe is one of the many tips in the How-To Guide guide that was one of the links I included yesterday-a teaser of what it offers!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Marjalu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Marjalu »

Excellent--thank you! I love the option to subscribe to various topics(!), and I'm looking forward to listening to the podcast!