New to forum

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
jml62
New User
New User

New to forum

Post by jml62 »

Hi all,
I am actually returning to the forum, I joined briefly about a year ago after looking at entering a study out of Irvine for a new med. Genetic testing was part of it, and I am an Apoe4/4. I dropped from the study when the medical testing was explained and I decided I was not ready/sure about the process. I am just 62 and not symptomatic as yet, but I follow my mom’s family genetically and she and (at least) three sisters all passed from Alzheimer’s. I have read Bredesen and have been following some of his lifestyle and supplement suggestions. I recently took a class presented by Dr. Susan Sklar, I believe she has some certification in Dr. Bredesen’s protocols, etc. I had a very strong awakening as I have several other risks, and I plan to research her organization and possibly seek assessment and treatment. Wanted to ask if anyone else has heard of Dr. Sklar in Long Beach, Ca.?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New to forum

Post by NF52 »

jml62 wrote:Hi all,
I am actually returning to the forum, I joined briefly about a year ago after looking at entering a study out of Irvine for a new med. Genetic testing was part of it, and I am an Apoe4/4. I dropped from the study when the medical testing was explained and I decided I was not ready/sure about the process. I am just 62 and not symptomatic as yet, but I follow my mom’s family genetically and she and (at least) three sisters all passed from Alzheimer’s. I have read Bredesen and have been following some of his lifestyle and supplement suggestions. I recently took a class presented by Dr. Susan Sklar, I believe she has some certification in Dr. Bredesen’s protocols, etc. I had a very strong awakening as I have several other risks, and I plan to research her organization and possibly seek assessment and treatment. Wanted to ask if anyone else has heard of Dr. Sklar in Long Beach, Ca.?
Welcome, jml62!

On behalf of the forum community, let me welcome you back! We often find that people explore a little, get some helpful information, step away while they process that and then come back for more! As someone who is 66 and in a clinical study for people with ApoE 4/4, I totally understand the decision to not proceed beyond the consent or screening stage due to the time commitment, the requirements (often) for a study partner, and the medical tests. The study staff I work with are always careful to remind me that "your health comes first". They also are always clear that being in the study doesn't mean I can't make lifestyle and supplement decisions that make sense to me (with a few minor exceptions--the Bredesen protocol isn't one of those!)

I'm not familiar with Dr. Sklar, and she's not listed on our wiki guide to ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners which consists of member recommendations. Her website (below) does indicate that she and her staff are trained in the Bredesen Protocol. https://www.sklarcenter.com/services/br ... -programs/

Since you have been away from the site for a while, you may want to check out the new
How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website where we show how to do all the things that we struggled with ourselves!

Feel free to do a "search" (see the magnifying glass in the groups of icons by your user name) for those "other risks", and check out the Wiki, which has added several great sections in the last few months on health topics.
4/4 and still an optimist!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New to forum

Post by floramaria »

jml62 wrote:Hi all,
Hi jml62,

Yes, I have heard of Dr Sklar. When I was first looking for a practitioner, I was in CA and Dr Sklar was one who impressed me. I can't endorse her, never having followed through with an appointment, but I believe she is trained by Dr Bredesen. This is from her website section on cognition:

"As a certified Bredesen 3.0 practitioner, Dr. Sklar works in close collaboration with Dr. Dale Bredesen from UCLA to study cognitive decline and incorporates his protocol to stabilize brain function. She and her team examine the underlying genetics, toxic exposure, stress, sleep, diet, and physical factors that contribute to mental deterioration."

If you do go to her, please let us know your experience and add her to the practitioner list.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health