Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
4thgeneration?
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 4thgeneration? »

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the group and look forward to learning. My mother died in January of Alzheimer's after a long long struggle. She developed initial signs in her early 50's. Her mother (my maternal grandmother) also died of Alzheimer's and I just recently learned that her mother in turn (my maternal great grandmother) was institutionalized with dementia at the end of her life. I'm 52, and have learned through genetic testing that I am heterozygous e4/e2. I'm looking forward to doing all I can to spare my sons and husband the burden of this illness.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New member

Post by CoachMT »

Welcome 4thgeneration? to the Apoe4.info community! I’m sorry to hear of your mother’s recent passing and long struggle with Alzheimer’s. Your bravery and concern for others jumps off the screen in the description you shared of your family history and your own e4/e2 status. I can see you are already bringing hope and increased understanding to your family history and future generations. You have come to the right place to learn more about Apoe4 in the company of supportive, like-minded community members. If you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great place to start your learning journey. It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. You may also be interested in checking out the "Our Stories" forum to learn more about community members embarking on this journey alongside you.
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

4thgeneration? wrote:I'm looking forward to doing all I can to spare my sons and husband the burden of this illness.
The E2 counteracts the E4 a bit, so you are better off than if you were E3/E4 and even better than E4/E4. Lifestyle changes could likely help a lot. Do you know your parent's ApoE status? I'm guessing the E2 comes from your dad. You have a 50% chance of passing your E4 to your kids.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
4thgeneration?
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 4thgeneration? »

CoachMT wrote:Welcome 4thgeneration? to the Apoe4.info community! I’m sorry to hear of your mother’s recent passing and long struggle with Alzheimer’s. Your bravery and concern for others jumps off the screen in the description you shared of your family history and your own e4/e2 status. I can see you are already bringing hope and increased understanding to your family history and future generations. You have come to the right place to learn more about Apoe4 in the company of supportive, like-minded community members. If you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great place to start your learning journey. It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. You may also be interested in checking out the "Our Stories" forum to learn more about community members embarking on this journey alongside you.
Thank you!
4thgeneration?
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 4thgeneration? »

mike wrote:
4thgeneration? wrote:I'm looking forward to doing all I can to spare my sons and husband the burden of this illness.
The E2 counteracts the E4 a bit, so you are better off than if you were E3/E4 and even better than E4/E4. Lifestyle changes could likely help a lot. Do you know your parent's ApoE status? I'm guessing the E2 comes from your dad. You have a 50% chance of passing your E4 to your kids.
Thanks Mike, that is my understanding as well, that the E2 could possibly b helpful. My parents have not had genetic testing, so I don't know their ApoE status. I agree that the E2 is likely from my father, who is still quite sharp and active. I plan to address lifestyle and diet changes!