DISAPPOINTING RESULTS

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

DISAPPOINTING RESULTS

Postby roxanne » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:22 pm

I have been Intermittent Fasting for the past 2 years, I started at 14-15 hours and gradually increased 6 months ago to 16-20 hours. After 6 months, these are the results:

1. A1C increased from 5.4 to 5.5

2. Homocysteine went from 9.1 to 9.8

3. Blood Pressure always low 99/114 systolic 60/70 increased to 130/80 or more. (this can be because now I get very nervous when I measure, although it does generally come down to 117/73.

4. For the last 3 months I have been waking up between 3-4am with an increased heart rate and extreme fear. I can get rid of the panic in about an hour but can't get back to sleep.

5. During the day, especially at work (I am an MRI technologist and sometimes see 17 to 20 patients a day in a 15 hr shift) I am in a state of alert, ready to jump at any slight or comment from a patient. I do not know if this makes any sense but that's the best way I can describe my mental state.

My activity level when not working is high. Aerobic exercise, weights, yoga four days a week. 2 days of HIIT for 20 minutes and one day off.

My BMI is 18.5 and I'm around 116 lbs, 5.6 tall. According to Cron-O-Meter I have a caloric deficit of 300 to 400 calories some days, while I make up for that on other days. I was taking Liothyronine 5mcg a day and Progesterone 50mgs at night. I stopped both as Liothyronine (T3) increases my heart rate and I think I can't tolerate the Progesterone. I have to reintroduce them to see if the are contributing to these symptoms.

I have APOE3/4, I am compound hetero MHTFR. I do take Methylated vitamins and I'm thinking I'm overmethylated as a few years ago before taking any of these my Homocysteine was at 6. Hopefully Susan, our MHTFR expert can give me her opinion on this.

Wanting to lower my blood pressure to what it was before I read a post by Tincup that taking Potassium Citrate might help, I am taking a 1/4 teaspoon and it didn't do anything for blood pressure but I think it has calmed me down a little and helped wih headaches. I also take 1000 mgs Magnesium Citrate among other supplements.

I welcome your advise.

SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: DISAPPOINTING RESULTS

Postby SusanJ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:43 pm

roxanne wrote:Hopefully Susan, our MHTFR expert can give me her opinion on this.

Seems it would be worth stopping the B vitamins. I'm finding that just because you have certain snps (like the MTHFR twins), it doesn't mean you need to supplement. You have to go by symptoms. You didn't have high homocysteine before supplementing, which probably means you were doing fine without extra Bs.

When I was taking 800 mcg methylfolate and 1000 mcg B12, I also had the 3-4 AM wakeups and couldn't get back to sleep. I now take half those doses and sleep much better. Increased BP can also happen with too much folate.

So, stop for a while and see if your sleep and other symptoms improve.

roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Postby roxanne » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Yes, thank you Susan. I will do that and let you know if things get better.

DaleBru
Contributor
Contributor

Postby DaleBru » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 am

Hi Roxanne,

IF has been very helpful for me and for many others, but there is a huge variation in how different people respond to different foods.

I recommend the free 12 week introductory program at https://idmprogram.com, Dr. Jason Fung's clinical website. It doesn't really require twelve weeks, as you immediately get access to a huge amount of information.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to find expert advice tailored to you in particular, even good medical advice.

Your work so far is impressive. Hang in there!

Dale

roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Postby roxanne » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:47 am

Thank you DaleBru for your answer. Yes Dr. Fung's website and program is great. I am very familiar with it.

How different we are aren't we? We react to things in such different ways!

I have an FM doctor so that helps a lot but we are all learning as we go along. Yesterday we were chatting and laughed at how I give her great ideas, so I gave the credit to this website and the brilliant people that are always ready to welcome anybody who might need help.

All this to say that I will follow Susan's advise, stop the B's and continue with IF trying to increase increase.

frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Postby frankiesfriend » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:08 am

Hi Roxanne,

The low weight, high energy, sleeplessness, anxiety and increased blood pressure, as well as increased cholesterol, were all symptoms I experienced one year when I was hyperthyroid (too much thyroid hormone) - probably induced by stress. If you were taking T3, then you probably were under the care of an endocrinologist to address a low thyroid hormone condition. It may be that you just had too much supplemental thyroid hormone and a hyperthyroid state was induced medically. Perhaps they could retest and see where you are now?

My treatment went the other way. I developed hyperthyroidism and was prescribed a drug to suppress the overstimulated thyroid, however, I overdid the suppression, and became hypothyroid for six months until it normalized. Many people need to take thyroid hormone for life when hypothyroid, but in my case, I completely recovered and now I am neither hyper or hypo-thyroid. It is a delicate balance, and a blood test can reveal any thyroid function anomalies.

roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Postby roxanne » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi Frankiesfriend:

The reason why I was taking a very low dose of T3 was to be more in line with Dr. Bredesen's range of Reverse T3/Free T3. It was only 5mcgs. which I stopped because I thought that was the problem. My FM phiysician prescribed it and we decided to stop to see if the sympotms would subside. I believe that when you fast and go low carb your thyroid function lowers and it's not a bad thing but an adaptation, especially when you feel OK, but that's just my opinion.

I am inclined to believe that the problem is the high amount of Methylated B's which I stopped and we will see if that solves the situation.

I will definitely post the results in a few weeks if this resolves.

Return to “Our Stories”