confusion over glucose meter readings

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

confusion over glucose meter readings

Post by PSu82537%a6r_dnz »

Hello team....
Not sure where to post this question, considered the Science or Prevention sections but couldn't convince myself where it fits. If there is a moderator who rules on such things feel free to move it. My question concerns puzzling short-term variations in blood glucose readings. I see and understand longer-term variations, like a gradual reduction when I am able to stay on a healthy diet for days or weeks, followed by sudden extreme spikes when I just can't resist a piece of cake, or half the damn cake. What puzzles me is that often I have been very compliant to healthy eating practices for weeks, and my K and G are in the ideal Bredesen range, and suddenly one day glucose is way up for no evident reason. I have read a couple of potential explanations, and neither really seem right to me. I can't find my way back to them right now, so can't quote sources. But one said that muscles may "decide" to forgo using glucose from the bloodstream and leave it there to be circulated to the brain, because the brain "prefers" glucose and the muscles are better able to burn fats or ketones. That theory was even given a name, "glucose sparing". Is this real? Another proposed explanation was that something in the body can change protein into glucose, and it will do that either with protein in food you have eaten, or by dissolving your muscles into protein and then glucose. Is this real? Any other thoughts on where would glucose come from if you didn't eat any sugar?
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: confusion over glucose meter readings

Post by CarrieS »

PSu82537%a6r_dnz wrote:Hello team....
Not sure where to post this question, considered the Science or Prevention sections but couldn't convince myself where it fits. If there is a moderator who rules on such things feel free to move it. My question concerns puzzling short-term variations in blood glucose readings. I see and understand longer-term variations, like a gradual reduction when I am able to stay on a healthy diet for days or weeks, followed by sudden extreme spikes when I just can't resist a piece of cake, or half the damn cake. What puzzles me is that often I have been very compliant to healthy eating practices for weeks, and my K and G are in the ideal Bredesen range, and suddenly one day glucose is way up for no evident reason. I have read a couple of potential explanations, and neither really seem right to me. I can't find my way back to them right now, so can't quote sources. But one said that muscles may "decide" to forgo using glucose from the bloodstream and leave it there to be circulated to the brain, because the brain "prefers" glucose and the muscles are better able to burn fats or ketones. That theory was even given a name, "glucose sparing". Is this real? Another proposed explanation was that something in the body can change protein into glucose, and it will do that either with protein in food you have eaten, or by dissolving your muscles into protein and then glucose. Is this real? Any other thoughts on where would glucose come from if you didn't eat any sugar?
The Wiki has an entry that may contain some helpful information for you. You can find it here. The title is Blood Sugar.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

PSu82537%a6r_dnz wrote:I have read a couple of potential explanations, and neither really seem right to me. I can't find my way back to them right now, so can't quote sources. But one said that muscles may "decide" to forgo using glucose from the bloodstream and leave it there to be circulated to the brain, because the brain "prefers" glucose and the muscles are better able to burn fats or ketones. That theory was even given a name, "glucose sparing". Is this real? Another proposed explanation was that something in the body can change protein into glucose, and it will do that either with protein in food you have eaten, or by dissolving your muscles into protein and then glucose. Is this real? Any other thoughts on where would glucose come from if you didn't eat any sugar?
Yes, these things are real. Blood Glucose can also go up if you are stressed or sick. Your brain gets priority, and if there is not enough glucose for the brain, messages get sent and the rest of the body uses less, which could result in higher Blood Glucose. I have done a couple of multiple week extended water fasts, and my body kept my blood sugar at 150, even though I was not eating anything - body fat was turned into glucose for the brain. My body was mostly using ketones. And yes, protein can also get turned into glucose. Some argue that a keto diet should not have much protein, since it will get converted to glucose. Regardless, turning protein into glucose give less energy than just ingesting carbs/sugar, and your glucose spike will be much less.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
PSu82537%a6r_dnz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PSu82537%a6r_dnz »

mike wrote:I have done a couple of multiple week extended water fasts, and my body kept my blood sugar at 150, even though I was not eating anything
Thanks for your reply, Mike. This stuff can be hard to understand when read in the abstract or theoretical, but it really helps to hear a detailed and specific first-person account of an example of this process.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

CarrieS wrote:The Wiki has an entry that may contain some helpful information for you. You can find it here. The title is Blood Sugar.
Specifically, look at section 6, Causes of high glucose measurements
https://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Blood_Sugar ... asurements
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4