new apoe3/4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
newkana
New User
New User

new apoe3/4

Post by newkana »

Hello, new here. My name is Karin and I got myself tested years ago after reading The perfect gene diet. The book focused mainly on the connection between the apoe alleles and heart disease, which is what I was interested in as my dad had his first heart attach in his early 50's. Investigating the gene and the testing process I read about the equally important connection with Alzheirmer. Did I really want to know? Could I handle the results? After much soul searching I decided that knowledge was better then ignorance (in the latin sense of the term), but I did not want to box myself in the ?0% risk category. When the results came in the mail, I asked a friend to open the envelope, I told her what to look for in the body of the report, ignoring any percentages she might read, I then asked her to write my genotype on the envelope, put the report back in the envelope and seal it with scotch tape. Years later the scotch tape came off but I still haven't looked at the report. Smiling at myself as I type this.
This was the first step to a change of focus in my life, I went back to school to become a nutritionist and my life was changed forever although nutrigenomics (my secret passion) was barely on the radar at the time and information was quite scarce.

As I became settled in my "healthy choices" the apoe3/4 cloud took the back burner. Until peri-menopause that is... Again due to a long chain of events i came across a youtube interview with Dr Bredesen. So here I am, coming full circle at age 52, just about the time my dad had his heart attach. Thank you for accepting me, I look forward to learning and growing old in health.

Much love and appreciation,
Karin
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: new apoe3/4

Post by NF52 »

newkana wrote:Hello, new here...After much soul searching I decided that knowledge was better then ignorance (in the latin sense of the term), but I did not want to box myself in the ?0% risk category. When the results came in the mail, I asked a friend...to write my genotype on the envelope, put the report back in the envelope and seal it with scotch tape. Years later the scotch tape came off but I still haven't looked at the report. Smiling at myself as I type this.
This was the first step to a change of focus in my life, I went back to school to become a nutritionist and my life was changed forever although nutrigenomics (my secret passion) was barely on the radar at the time and information was quite scarce.
... Again due to a long chain of events i came across a youtube interview with Dr Bredesen. So here I am, coming full circle at age 52, just about the time my dad had his heart attach. Thank you for accepting me, I look forward to learning and growing old in health.
Karin
Welcome Karin!

Your story is full of wisdom, smiles (on our part too!) and deep knowledge of how to live your best life. You know much more than what is in that envelope could ever tell you. As you have found, we are can make choices without having to be told of what may only have been the risk of people who lived very different lives. Your dad would be proud of you for learning from his life story to write many more chapters for your own.
For other members who may want to reply to you, I've copied the link to your post on the Announcements forum about the poll:
Biomarker Study Opportunity (new kana)

I hope you will spend some time browsing the exciting breadth and depth of this forum. Here are some links that may prove useful:
"How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website has useful sections on how to quote members in your posts, how to do an advanced search on topics of interest, and how to subscribe to be notified of new posts on forum threads you follow.

The main page of the Wiki has a list of topics that may spark your interest given your background and passion for nutrition.

We're glad you're part of this community and hope you'll help us learn from your experiences and insights.
4/4 and still an optimist!
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SamNZ »

newkana wrote:Hello, new here. My name is Karin and I got myself tested years ago after reading The perfect gene diet. The book focused mainly on the connection between the apoe alleles and heart disease, which is what I was interested in as my dad had his first heart attach in his early 50's. Investigating the gene and the testing process I read about the equally important connection with Alzheirmer. Did I really want to know? Could I handle the results? After much soul searching I decided that knowledge was better then ignorance (in the latin sense of the term), but I did not want to box myself in the ?0% risk category. When the results came in the mail, I asked a friend to open the envelope, I told her what to look for in the body of the report, ignoring any percentages she might read, I then asked her to write my genotype on the envelope, put the report back in the envelope and seal it with scotch tape. Years later the scotch tape came off but I still haven't looked at the report. Smiling at myself as I type this.

As I became settled in my "healthy choices" the apoe3/4 cloud took the back burner. Until peri-menopause that is... Again due to a long chain of events i came across a youtube interview with Dr Bredesen. So here I am, coming full circle at age 52, just about the time my dad had his heart attach. Thank you for accepting me, I look forward to learning and growing old in health.

Karin
Welcome Karin, it is lovely to have you here as part of our community. Thanks so much for sharing your story with us, as a nutritionist you will have heaps to offer everyone and I hope you enjoy using the website to continue with your learning. Welcome again, dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions. SamNZ
Samantha McBride
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JudyH »

Welcome Karin - I have little to add besides that as I am a newbie on this journey only learning my own status in December. Like you, I am the product of early family heart disease and death and this was an eye opening explanation for me. I am still learning, still figuring out my next steps so I have nothing to offer your except a welcome.
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos