Introduction and new Dble E

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
BalrogdblE
Contributor
Contributor

Introduction and new Dble E

Post by BalrogdblE »

Hello Everyone!
I am new to the group, but not new to the Alzheimer's topic. I was recently tested and found out I am a homogenous APOE4.
Like many of your introductions, I have been wondering, reading a lot, trying to stay current and informed.
I am also taking care of a parent who is in the late stages of probably Alzheimer's, but was also diagnosed 13 years ago with vascular dementia. She is in a memory care facility now. I will simply say that for 6 months I was exhausted in all ways: emotionally and physically and becoming very depressed. Moving her to a memeory care facility has been a needed and healthy change. Mom is in a late stage of cognative impairment. What scares the living stuffing out of me is that Mom and I are wired and vey similar in so many ways. I do not want to be her in 10-15 years.
I am sort of relieved to know the genetic outcome. I can accept this and now any changes I make to improve my life and its quality have a driving reason behind it. I am worried how extensive those changes may be. However, I exercise regularly, eat well, (but I AM a baker and the no sugar thing is a little daunting.) Now to learn more.
My nickame has to do with my love of Lord of the Rings. The Balrog is the epic monster who wrestles Gandolf over the bridge. I am also an avid reader. I have read Reversing Alzheimer's. Lots of topics there to look into.
I am grateful for this forum and what we can learn and share together.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Introduction and new Dble E

Post by mike »

BalrogdblE wrote:I AM a baker and the no sugar thing is a little daunting
Balrog, welcome from another 4/4. My dad just passed a few months ago from AD, and like yo, I do not want to end up going out the same way. The more I read though, the more hopeful I become. It sounds like you are doing many things right, but it isn't just sugar you need to avoid; as a 4/4 you also need to avoid most simple carbs like flour, rice and potatoes...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
BalrogdblE
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BalrogdblE »

Thanks Sonoma Mike. yes, Carbs are the devil as well. So many things we have just gotten to cozy with. I feel better with fewer carbs anyway. Thanks for the share. I am looking forward to learning and sharing more.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

BalrogdblE wrote:Thanks Sonoma Mike. yes, Carbs are the devil as well. So many things we have just gotten to cozy with. I feel better with fewer carbs anyway. Thanks for the share. I am looking forward to learning and sharing more.
make sure you check out the primer, written by a doctor from your favorite part of the world
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
It is a great place to get started on this site. If you have a particular question, use the magnifying glass upper right to search forums for topics of interest.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Hi Balrog, I join you when you say you are wired so much like your mother. The same is true for myself and my mother who is in the later stages of AD (and probably vascular dementia). We look alike, and in the past acted alike, had similar interests. People are constantly saying we are twins, and sometimes people mistake us for sisters. A part of me is happy when I hear those comments as i love her deeply, (and another little piece of me dies inside. :( do I really look that old??) I think it was NF52 that mentioned that our outward characteristics don't always relate to other genetic AD factors. I will be happy to share all other genetic traits with her!

I am happy for you that you are taking care of yourself now. Unfortunately we cannot fix this for our loved ones, even at our own expense. I tried that too.

Welcome!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

BalrogdblE wrote:Hello Everyone!
...I am also taking care of a parent who is in the late stages of probably Alzheimer's, but was also diagnosed 13 years ago with vascular dementia. She is in a memory care facility now... What scares the living stuffing out of me is that Mom and I are wired and vey similar in so many ways. I do not want to be her in 10-15 years.
I am sort of relieved to know the genetic outcome. I can accept this and now any changes I make to improve my life and its quality have a driving reason behind it.
Welcome, BalrogdblE!
I have an adult son who also is a great Tolkein/Lord of the Rings fan. Anyone who can keep the Tolkein characters/plots/landscapes/battles organized has a powerful brain! Beyond that, let me reassure you that it takes decades for underlying factors to lead a diagnosis of vascular dementia or Alzheimer's dementia. As you've seen with your mother, the disease continues to progress, often slowly, for years or decades.

So you are not 10-15 years from where your mother is now at 13 years after her diagnosis. You are probably 25 years removed from the air and water quality, health care, lifestyle, second-hand smoke, and lack of attention to women's risk for cardiac and vascular disease that may have worsened your mother's health. I am 67 and also ApoE 4/4. My mother at this age had years of uncontrolled high blood pressure and unrecognized sleep apnea. Thirty years later, I have no biomarkers or clinical indication heart disease, nor do my 3 sibling. So while I cannot tell the end of my own story, I think I am better prepared for the next 10-15 years that my mother could have been in her time.

My guess is that as a baker, you must keep dozens of recipes in your head and manage complex multi-tasking, possibly supervise other people, deal with customers who come in all "flavors" and still make people happy every day with your creations. That counts as "mid-like occupational challenge" and is associated with "protective factors" that delay and/or prevent MCI and AD for 7-9 years compared to people who had lower education and little occupational challenge or opportunities for learning outside of work.

You have embraced the philosophy of the Stoics: that while we cannot control the outcome of our journey, we can prepare ourselves as much as possible for the voyage, and choose to embrace meaning and purpose and joy in our lives. Your "driving force" is one I admire!

I hope your family supports your decision for memory care. It signals your love for your mom enough to realize that she needs special support at this stage. My mother-in-law became happier and more active when she moved into memory care. She enjoyed talking to family when they visited, sitting in the enclosed garden, listening to frequent musical performances, walking around an inside track and eating (and sharing) cookies and ice cream (at 88 no one was asking her to give those up).

And now for a practical tip: Here's a guide to the forum's quirks; easy to use for someone who can transform ingredients into delectable creations "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website

Hugs from a fellow 4/4 (whose dad was a baker in the Merchant Marines in WWII--possibly the worst decision they ever made!)
4/4 and still an optimist!