Newbie Here in San Diego

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
BarbLore1
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie Here in San Diego

Post by BarbLore1 »

I'm 55 years old, watched my father pass of AD five years ago. He was intelligent, spoke three languages, physically fit and active socially and spiritually, so it was quite a shock. When I look back at his/our diet over the years, I see where there may have been some contributing factors in that regard. About three years ago I started having a lot of cognitive difficulties with speech and following conversations. I heard of myriad of things such as "just cause your dad had AD doesn't mean you have it." "It's just normal aging." These were comments from health care personnel as well as friends. My doctor said it was because I was retired and not active enough and because i wasn't social enough etc. Long story, so similar to others, I got some intense blood work done and also a volumetric MRI. Things are looking pretty good. Only a little ischemia in brain, everything else healthy and as far as blood work, I tested positive for the 3/4 marker. I honestly believe with supplements, diet and exercise i will be okay. I'm already pretty athletic and will find it no problem to embrace a plant based diet. I've experimented with Keto but it is actually not good for my type 3/4 and with my cholesterol issues. I know what to do, I know I can do it and it will be a lot of work but not that big of a deal and I'm so glad this forum exists. I was really hunting for some recipes, and just ordered Isaacson's book but if there is a recipe forum on here I'd love that. Sautéing, broiling, veggies, steaming and eating salads is beginning to get old and I generally lack creativity in that area anyway. Thanks. I'd like to attend a SD meet up if it happens.
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newbie Here in San Diego

Post by Creekside »

BarbLore1 wrote:I'm 55 years old, watched my father pass of AD five years ago. He was intelligent, spoke three languages, physically fit and active socially and spiritually, so it was quite a shock. When I look back at his/our diet over the years, I see where there may have been some contributing factors in that regard. About three years ago I started having a lot of cognitive difficulties with speech and following conversations. I heard of myriad of things such as "just cause your dad had AD doesn't mean you have it." "It's just normal aging." These were comments from health care personnel as well as friends. My doctor said it was because I was retired and not active enough and because i wasn't social enough etc. Long story, so similar to others, I got some intense blood work done and also a volumetric MRI. Things are looking pretty good. Only a little ischemia in brain, everything else healthy and as far as blood work, I tested positive for the 3/4 marker. I honestly believe with supplements, diet and exercise i will be okay. I'm already pretty athletic and will find it no problem to embrace a plant based diet. I've experimented with Keto but it is actually not good for my type 3/4 and with my cholesterol issues. I know what to do, I know I can do it and it will be a lot of work but not that big of a deal and I'm so glad this forum exists. I was really hunting for some recipes, and just ordered Isaacson's book but if there is a recipe forum on here I'd love that. Sautéing, broiling, veggies, steaming and eating salads is beginning to get old and I generally lack creativity in that area anyway. Thanks. I'd like to attend a SD meet up if it happens.
Welcome from a former San Diegan. Luckily, you live in a place with plentiful access to great vegetables and beautiful sunshine. My belief is that believing that you will be ok will help make it so. I've mostly transitioned to using NY Times' cooking website as a source of wonderful recipes, though now you have to pay for access.
BarbLore1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BarbLore1 »

Thanks for New York Times info. I grew eating low fat high carbs Italian/Irish. My dad had high cholesterol from an age so we ate a lot of pasta. We ate healthfully but I’ve learned so much now.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

BarbLore1 wrote:I was really hunting for some recipes, and just ordered Isaacson's book but if there is a recipe forum on here I'd love that. Sautéing, broiling, veggies, steaming and eating salads is beginning to get old and I generally lack creativity in that area anyway. Thanks. I'd like to attend a SD meet up if it happens.
You might try the Wiki - here is a list of recipes... https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Recipes_from_our_members
Sonoma Mike
4/4
dscoachRN
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dscoachRN »

Hi BarLore1,
I also wanted to extend my welcome to the ApoE4 community! Well done, pursuing answers while holding a positive outlook toward your ability to implement change.

As you've just recently joined us, we highly recommend reading our site Primer written by a member practicing physician. In addition to being a great way to learn more about our community, it's truly a wonderful source of information about this ApoE4 gene of ours and offers clearly stated, prioritized lifestyle strategies focused on mitigating its effects. You'll find our site Wiki has more in-depth discussions on topics of interest to our members. For tips on how to get the most our of our website, check out our How-To-Guide And to search our forums for topics of interest to you, just click on the magnifying glass along the upper right of this page..

BarbLore1, please don't hesitate to ask questions of the group at any time as they come up. And again, welcome!
warmly,
dscoachRN
BarbLore1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BarbLore1 »

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and info on recipes. I’m all over it!! I appreciate it.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Hello welcome Barbara,
I am going to be going to the San Diego meet up on April 27th. I am doing a plant based diet and I will bring along my favorite cookbooks it you would like. Like you my father had some kind of dementia as well as cholesterol issues. My diet has worked for me .

Maureen
broiler_x
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by broiler_x »

BarbLore1 wrote: I've experimented with Keto but it is actually not good for my type 3/4 and with my cholesterol issues.
I'm 4/4 and also had cholesterol issues. 3 years ago, my LDL was at 190 and my doctor wanted to put me on a statin. I told him I'd research the subject before going on a medication and what I found regarding diet was quite surprising. Contrary to everything that I had heard, there was mounting data that a high fat, low carbohydrate diet is actually best for reducing serum cholesterol. I had never done that kind of diet, but I gave it a try. 3 months later (and 25 lbs lighter), I stunned my doctor as my LDL went from 190 to 90! He said that was a much better response than they would have expected from a statin treatment. I've stayed on that diet and actually went full keto about a year ago. I haven't felt better, and my blood numbers keep comping up excellent as regards to cholesterol.

When I was researching the topic, there was one video that really stood out to me, because he actually showed the data from studies. If you are interested, here it is. Warning: it is a very long lecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuj6nxCDBZ0
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

BarbLore1 wrote: I'd like to attend a SD meet up if it happens.
Hi BarbLore1,

Here is a link to the thread for San Diego Meet Up we are planning for April:
April San Diego/SoCal Meet Up

We have the date but have not yet chosen a location or set the time.
Your suggestions are welcome.
Hope you can make it!

floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Blissful1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Blissful1 »

I live in Escondido and have been on Ketoflex for many months now. Done blood tests and MRI. almost finished the Detox Cube (to get rid of heavy metals). just had blood tests done again for mold markers.

Are people getting together tomorrow at 12:30 ?