New and confused

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New and confused

Post by NF52 »

Jcmainfinity wrote:2 of you mentioned a plaque test? Is that something I need to do if my cholesterol is fine? What causes the plaque build up?

Plaque build-up in coronary arteries (and other arteries) happens over a long period of time. Here's a good overview of what "plaque" is from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/coronary_ad.htm

As Bradley noted, it's highly unusual for doctors to recommend a coronary calcium scan, which is a brief CT scan of the coronary arteries, in someone who is your age (or my age of 67) without clear suspicion of coronary artery disease. Here's one reason why you are unlikely to need to spend an estimated $ 150. for a scan at your age: a score of zero plaque would be expected. It would be like screening you for bone density way before you are at risk of osteoporosis. Either case would be considered "over-screening", since the chances of finding anything of concern are very, very small.

Instead, as Bradley said, you are both at a great age to extend your current health for many decades!! Check out the Wiki for some useful topics, including the "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. The section on Searching the site for information might be really helpful to you as you come up with questions to find lots of useful answers quickly.

Hope you are continuing to feel more in charge of your own life, with more energy for enjoying those little ones!
4/4 and still an optimist!
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New and confused

Post by mike »

I had this scan after the Cardiologist kept wanting me to take statins. It cost a couple hundred a few years back. It came back with a tiny bit of plaque, and he still wanted me to take statins...
Sonoma Mike
4/4