cognitive disconnect - do you "feel" you are reducing risk?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: cognitive disconnect - do you "feel" you are reducing risk?

Post by chrissyr »

I enjoyed reading the musings above. Thank you for bringing this question forward, Fiver.

I echo the sentiments above. Perhaps it was easier for us who saw the strong family history and strong sharing of other traits. When the 23 and me results were in-- the feeling was --duh obviously!.-

So learning the up and coming research, and diving in to epigenetics has been interesting and actually fun. I'm guessing that at least 1/2 of the things I'm doing don't have much impact, and I'm sure there are some lifestyle changes that I'm totally missing.

But... I do feel better! And I'm enjoying my life. I feel blessed that I can join in these types of conversations and read the wisdom of others who have some of the same hopes, dreams and fears that I do. Being part of this community is amazing. Contrast this to other forms of social media!

I spent this past weekend at the Maine coast with 2 dear friends from work, one of whom has inoperable cancer that she is living with--joyfully, thoughtfully, spiritually. Somehow she has come to a place of no denial and no fear (or at least not much!) That's an inspiring role model. I get the sense that she is vitally aware that she is alive, and open to the love that is around her, the beauty of the world, and the power of her work. Of course she has her down times too, but is willing to experience those as well.

I'll keep working on it!
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories about this....it's reassuring to know I'm not alone in feeling these things. I hope I didn't sound pessimistic. I'm just finding that I don't always feel the connection between the evidence for risk-reduction and my personal journey. Like some of you mentioned, I find it harder when other things aren't going as well and when I am caring for my mom. I'm also going through a stage where I'm just less interested in listening to podcasts or voraciously reading every research study. It's natural, I'm sure, and probably healthy. :)
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

Fiver wrote:Here's an odd question.

Maybe it's just me. Anyone else come to this odd place in our journey? and solve it?
My solution: There is nothing I can do about yesterday and the past. It is in the books.
I can’t do anything tomorrow until tomorrow.
Today is the only time I can accomplish my goals. Today I will eat the proper diet, take the proper supplements, get my cardio, do my weight lifts, go to my yoga class, and file my taxes(then pray). Today is the only time I have to live since yesterday is past and tomorrow is not yet here.

Tomorrow repeat except for the taxes. I’ll meditate instead of taxes. Much more calming.
DonBob
e3e4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi donbob. On good days, I manage to have an outlook like this too! Being in the moment and having an acceptance of the "as is". I get knocked off my zen sometimes, however. I find it interesting to read about warriors and the eastern philosophies because they struggle and strive and succeed and fail but still have that acceptance. Well, in the stories they do! I'm sure there were plenty who struggled. I'm not one to just sit quietly and passively and accept things. I'd rather go into battle with, as they say, a glad heart. It would satisfying, however, to know if the battle is paying off. But I'm sure your approach is the way to go. :)
rrmolo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrmolo »

I am 79 and have known my 4/4 status a long time. But it wasn't until the recent years I've gained insight into actions to mitigate it's effects. So I'm a very happy camper! I've seen much progress and feel so fortunate to do all the active things I do daily. I love the fasting, meditation, low CHO diet and exercise. I give thanks for each and every day.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Fiver wrote:I'm also going through a stage where I'm just less interested in listening to podcasts or voraciously reading every research study. It's natural, I'm sure, and probably healthy. :)
I'm not sure I'll be able to stop until I feel that I understand it, and I'm not even close. I've also been trying to figure out what to do with the next 1/3 of my life, and helping others with AD looks like it will be part of it.
Sonoma Mike
4/4