Still worried

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jcmainfinity
Contributor
Contributor

Still worried

Post by Jcmainfinity »

I introduced myself a few days ago. You guys were super supportive and made me feel better. Then I spiraled down again from reading forums and the internet. I searched the board for answers but couldn’t find anything. I already had severe health anxiety. Like BAD!
1. I became a mom at 19. I’m 35. Ive stayed at home with my kids .I didn’t go to college! I just have high school. I read education matters a lot! Well that’s not good for me is it?? Can learning something new now help?(piano etc)
2. Stroke- WHY are 4/4 more likely to have strokes? I’m so worried I’m just going to drop dead one day. I want to grow old with my family. There were some stories where someone had a stroke and were healthy. It was attributed to their apoe4 status
3. Am I really overthinking this ? Is it really not that bad ? I learned my 4/4 status last week and it won’t get out of my head . I don’t have any family history of all Alzheimer’s. There’s just so much to know about what to do not to do .... I feel like I can’t even take knowing this information anymore .
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Still worried

Post by donbob »

I’m not a medical person, but I have had success breaking the hold of unwanted thoughts. Perhaps what I do might help. During each one hour class I have to focus on what I am trying to do to the point I think of nothing else. At the end of class I always feel better. The Veterans Administration prescribes yoga for me.

Search your area for beginners yoga or chair yoga. Give it a couple of months. I hope you are able to find peace and happiness. Good luck.
DonBob
e3e4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi. It's normal to have some anxiety about this. I certainly did. And if you had some worries about health before, this could certainly trigger more of those feelings. It can be helpful to work on this - with a friend, family member, therapist, etc. Exercise is frequently recommended to help with various types of anxiety. It's free, generally helpful, and has no side effects (except sometimes my old knees hurt!).

Once the shock wears off we start to get some perspective on it. It's a bit of a process.

At the age of 35 you really have nothing major you have to worry about right now. You have time on your side. First, you have time to phase-in some lifestyle changes - if you choose to do that - step-by-step over many years. Second, it's almost certain that by the time you are at mid-age there will be new, more powerful medical options for prevention and treatment. Finally, you have plenty of time to learn from folks here, and elsewhere. It feels better and empowering to learn what can be done.

In terms of education being a factor - it's a pretty minor influence in those studies that often get cited and it's almost certainly about continued learning, staying engaged and active not about an particular degree. If you are interested in learning new languages or music - those are great, for many reasons! I'm not very good at either of those things - so I'm a bit jealous of people like you who have some talent in those areas.

Also, any little things you do to eat better or exercise or get enough sleep are all good for parenting and good for kids to see modeled by a parent.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I don’t have any family history of all Alzheimer’s.
That's really good news! You must have some protective genes. I can't say that for myself. You are young, focus on exercise, good diet, good sleep, happiness, enjoy your family, yes, learn a new instrument, language, or whatever would interest you. Ashwagandha is a supplement recommended by Dr. Bredesen, that and also magnesium are two supplements that should help you relax.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Most likely, you have 40 years before any symptoms would start, assuming you do nothing. It does look like damage does start decades before cognitive issues start, so you should think about making some life-style changes in the not-too-distant-future. Now, though, take a moment and breathe. Nothing is going to happen to you in the next year, so use that time to learn. If the anxiety doesn't get any better, you might try CBD oil.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Jcmainfinity
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jcmainfinity »

Can you explain lifestyle changes? I already walk/jog/run 7 days a week. I take a ton of supplements. I try and eat healthy, I’m not perfect but I can’t cut out what some do:( always buy organic for home. I don’t use chemicals in cleaning or body products. I get a full blood work up with cholesterol and all the other fun stuff every year . What else can I do????
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jcmainfinity wrote:Can you explain lifestyle changes? I already walk/jog/run 7 days a week. I take a ton of supplements. I try and eat healthy, I’m not perfect but I can’t cut out what some do:( always buy organic for home. I don’t use chemicals in cleaning or body products. I get a full blood work up with cholesterol and all the other fun stuff every year . What else can I do????
Hi jcmainfinity,

What you are already doing in terms of exercise is considered by many to be the most important intervention longterm for retaining healthy cognitive function. About 2 years ago I went to a conference titled "The Dynamic Brain", and was impressed with how prominently the exercise component figured in just about every presentation. So my advise would be to keep that up!

You are also doing well with the quality of your foods. You might want to read up on the benefits of ketogenic diets and intermittent fasting for ApoE4 carriers, and see if that resonates with you. Lots of info on that both in threads and in the Wiki.

As far as learning new things now: Yes, Absolutely. As long as we are alive, the brain is able to create new pathways and networks, so challenging your brain to learn new things is a great strategy. Pick something that you enjoy. Playing a musical instrument, as you mentioned, is regarded as one of the best things, along with learning a new language. Even taking a different route on your way to work or to do errands can get you away from being on autopilot and into having to engage your brain and think about where you are going. I took up TaiChi where I have to memorize long routines of complicated moves. Dance lessons are also mentioned as another beneficial activity; I know a couple who took up tango.

Managing stress is also important. Clearly that is hard to do right now, when you are so concerned about what your ApoE4 status might mean. Developing strategies that work for you to minimize your anxiety will serve you well. Being anxious about this is counter productive. Keep in mind that you have plenty of time. Truly, you do!
You are young and you are already doing so many things right. And you are learning more about what you can do to remain healthy in mind and body throughout your life.

Take it slow and easy.
Best wishes,
floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Jcmainfinity wrote:Can you explain lifestyle changes? I already walk/jog/run 7 days a week. I take a ton of supplements. I try and eat healthy, I’m not perfect but I can’t cut out what some do:( always buy organic for home. I don’t use chemicals in cleaning or body products. I get a full blood work up with cholesterol and all the other fun stuff every year. What else can I do????
As Floramaria mentioned, you are already doing a lot that will help. Exercise is KEY! I wasn't aware you were doing as much as you do. Helps with blood flow and most likely cerebral blood flow as well - helps get fuel and oxygen to the brain. Seems to be also protective to the Blood Brain Barrier.

It sounds like diet may be your weakest link, once stress and sleep are good. When you say you can't cut out what dome do - why is that? As a fellow 4/4, I personally believe (science hasn't proven yet) that we just frankly do not process carbs well, and they should be eliminated as much as possible. 3/4s would have more flexibility here. This is me, with 20 years as a T2D, so I'm coming at this from a different angle than most here. There is a continuum, depending on how healthy you are metabolically. At a minimum, all folks worried about AD should cut out added sugar or any kind (corn syrup, fructose, fruit juice, etc.) and avoid processed foods. I think all 4/4s should be eliminating potatoes, rice and pasta as well, and then next think about eliminating all grains (bread, flour, cereal). Reduce fruit intake, and confine to small amounts of berries. Yams and beans (pinto, etc) would be next in line. I'm trying to keep my blood sugars from ANY high spikes, and I don't make much insulin, so I do all of the above and in addition do not eat vegetables grown below ground (carrots, onions). Where you fit on this spectrum you will figure out in time.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
BradleyD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BradleyD »

You’re exactly like I was. The first couple weeks are the worst. You have to convince your anxious mind that you are in control of your destiny, at least to some extent. Go to bed a little earlier, pass up that second slice of cake or next margarita, and each time tell yourself “I just saved brain cells that would be damaged if I didn’t know what I know.” Take the negative energy and put it toward a positive venture that helps you regain a sense of control. Read about all the new things that science is learning about the brain each day and the new and promising experiments they are doing. Read about how much money is being funneled into research. Bill gates likely found out he’s an APOE4 and is making big donations for a cure. Science discovered a way to “fix” the APOE4 and modify it into something more like E3. Scientists are experimenting with putting the protective APOE2 gene in the brains of human Alzheimer’s patients to see if it slows the disease. So many cool things! Finally, take comfort in the giant new community that you are part of. 4/4s are 2% of the population, but in a country the size of the USA that’s 6 million people, more than the population of most states.. That’s quite a family and we’re all in this together.