New Here: Wife of a 4/4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TT17
Contributor
Contributor

New Here: Wife of a 4/4

Post by TT17 »

Hi Everyone! New wife to a newly "diagnosed" 4/4 here, looking for information on creating a preventative plan and joining a supportive community.

My husband and I are both 35 years old, and have been married for nearly 5 months now (yay new loves, haha). We're both very physically fit and mindful about our diets (we eat keto-style diet roughly 75% of the time, although much more protein than a traditional keto diet) - although we admittedly have a pizza and ice cream addiction, hence the other 25%.

My husband and I were talking last week about ancestral history, and he said he had done the 23andMe genetic testing, but never really looked at it. He knew he has an "increased risk" for Alzheimers. Not really thinking much of it, I showed him the other websites I've run my 23andMe raw data through (FoundmyFitness, and Prometheus), and we also looked more closely at his 23andMe. This is how we discovered he is an APOE 4/4 carrier. Needless to say, we are both very anxious and saddened by this.

I should also add that he suffered with issues sleeping for the better part of his adult life (although much better now), and also has issues with high heavy metals in his system (he did a hair test analysis a couple years ago which revealed extreme levels of a few heavy metals, specifically cobalt and carbide) - which he didn't really do anything about.

So far I've ordered Dr Bredensen's book, and have been researching heavy metal detoxification (chelation therapy, sauna, etc), and have just been doing random research online (that's how I found this forum). I know he is more affected by the news than he lets on, but thankfully he is on board with whatever we need to do as preventative measures.

I'm trying not to bombard him with information, or be stressed out about it TO him, but truthfully I am extremely depressed and overwhelmed by this...
Davida
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Here: Wife of a 4/4

Post by Davida »

[quote="TT17"]Hi Everyone! New wife to a newly "diagnosed" 4/4 here, looking for information on creating a preventative plan and joining a supportive community.

My husband and I are both 35 years old, and have been married for nearly 5 months now (yay new loves, haha). We're both very physically fit and mindful about our diets (we eat keto-style diet roughly 75% of the time, although much more protein than a traditional keto diet) - although we admittedly have a pizza and ice cream addiction, hence the other 25%.

Well first off TT17 welcome to the Apoe4 community!!

Congratulations on your recent marriage and obvious dedication to a long, healthy and prosperous life. I love your humor, zest, and honesty. What is life about if we can't enjoy some of it's pleasures.

I think you will find this site to be extremely helpful. The community is supportive, caring, and highly informative. So, take a deep breath. I know learning that you are a carrier of the Apoe4 gene, as your husband is, can cause some anxiety, sadness and depression as you mentioned. But, you are so positive and are learning about this early in your life. You are already off to a good start in incorporating lifestyle factors that will support your overall physical and mental well being for years to come.

A good place for you to start would be to read Primer written by a physician member, Stavia. It has topics related to prevention strategies and has further information on the Apoe4 gene. Also,How to Guide, great for new users to navigate the website. Lastly, you may be interested in checking out Our Stories to learn more about others in the community and share more of your own story as you move forward.

Keep up the good work and remember we'd love to hear more from you, especially if you have questions.

My best, Davida
Davida
FMCHC
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches Certification 2018
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

TT17 wrote:Hi Everyone! New wife to a newly "diagnosed" 4/4 here, looking for information on creating a preventative plan and joining a supportive community.
Greetings TT17 and congratulations on your recent marriage! What a happy and exciting time this is for you both. Finding out your husband is a 4/4 is not a prognosis - rather a call to live a healthy, albeit healthier, lifestyle. As you learn more from our Primer and Dr. Bredesen's book you will find many ideas that you can implement, which will prepare you for a long and healthy life. You are young and healthy and already eating keto! It is not necessary to make all the changes at once - take baby steps, enjoy and have fun! The sauna is an excellent activity for detoxing and a wonderful activity for newlyweds to do together! Wishing you a long and happy life together!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
TT17
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TT17 »

Davida wrote:

Well first off TT17 welcome to the Apoe4 community!!

Congratulations on your recent marriage and obvious dedication to a long, healthy and prosperous life. I love your humor, zest, and honesty. What is life about if we can't enjoy some of it's pleasures.

I think you will find this site to be extremely helpful. The community is supportive, caring, and highly informative. So, take a deep breath. I know learning that you are a carrier of the Apoe4 gene, as your husband is, can cause some anxiety, sadness and depression as you mentioned. But, you are so positive and are learning about this early in your life. You are already off to a good start in incorporating lifestyle factors that will support your overall physical and mental well being for years to come.

A good place for you to start would be to read Primer written by a physician member, Stavia. It has topics related to prevention strategies and has further information on the Apoe4 gene. Also,How to Guide, great for new users to navigate the website. Lastly, you may be interested in checking out Our Stories to learn more about others in the community and share more of your own story as you move forward.

Keep up the good work and remember we'd love to hear more from you, especially if you have questions.

My best, Davida
[/quote]

Thank you for the warm welcome! I feel like finding this website has already allowed me to take a big breath and relax a bit :)
TT17
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TT17 »

Sara wrote:
TT17 wrote:Hi Everyone! New wife to a newly "diagnosed" 4/4 here, looking for information on creating a preventative plan and joining a supportive community.
Greetings TT17 and congratulations on your recent marriage! What a happy and exciting time this is for you both. Finding out your husband is a 4/4 is not a prognosis - rather a call to live a healthy, albeit healthier, lifestyle. As you learn more from our Primer and Dr. Bredesen's book you will find many ideas that you can implement, which will prepare you for a long and healthy life. You are young and healthy and already eating keto! It is not necessary to make all the changes at once - take baby steps, enjoy and have fun! The sauna is an excellent activity for detoxing and a wonderful activity for newlyweds to do together! Wishing you a long and happy life together!
I appreciate all that, thank you! <3 I know we will both feel better once the initial shock has passed, and we start making proactive decisions to move us in a direction where we feel more in control. Looking forward to really getting into the topics on this website :)