Do you know this test lab ?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Kikine
Contributor
Contributor

Do you know this test lab ?

Post by Kikine »

Hello!
I am a very new French member and desesperately trying to make the ApoE4 test. As you know in France it is very very very complicated!... to go through our investigation, get any information or find any doctor ready to help us through the Recode process.
I read on this site that a French member got his results from the "23andme" lab few years ago I think. Unfortunately today French people are not allowed to order this test (from other European countries it is possible but not in France...) from them (only are allowed genetical tests to find ancestors).
I have now found on another web site : "http://www.myapoe.com" the possibility of ordering the ApoE Test kit for $199.
Does anyone know if this website is secure ? Is there any other solution today in France as far as you are aware ?
Many thanks in advance for your great help,
Kindly
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Do you know this test lab ?

Post by slacker »

Kikine wrote:Hello!
I have now found on another web site : "http://www.myapoe.com" the possibility of ordering the ApoE Test kit for $199.
Does anyone know if this website is secure ? Is there any other solution today in France as far as you are aware ?
Hi Kikine;
Every country's health system has different complexities to navigate through. Before you twist yourself in knots trying to figure out how to be tested in France, you may want to give more thought to the pros and cons of testing.

I personally am not familiar with the company you mention. Hopefully other members will chime in.
Slacker
E4/E4
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I checked out the site, seems legit. Also this test showed up in several Bredesen trained practitioners sites as an alternate to 23andme. It's a cheek swab, so easier then 23andme where you have to gather quite a bit of saliva.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

Kikine wrote:Hello!
I am a very new French member and desesperately trying to make the ApoE4 test. As you know in France it is very very very complicated!... to go through our investigation, get any information or find any doctor ready to help us through the Recode process.
I read on this site that a French member got his results from the "23andme" lab few years ago I think. Unfortunately today French people are not allowed to order this test (from other European countries it is possible but not in France...) from them (only are allowed genetical tests to find ancestors).
Many thanks in advance for your great help,
Kindly
Welcome to the to the Apoe4.info community kikine! Kudos to you for you diligence in tracking down this site and the test that is right for you and/or your loved one to support overall health! Great to hear how other forum members have offered you resources around the pros and cons of testing for you to consider as well.

If you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great starting place to learn about the extensive resources available to you on the ApoE4.info site. It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the ApoE4 allele, is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the ApoE4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. In addition, you may be interested in checking out the thread on Our Stories to learn about fellow community members who are embarking on this journey and share your own story!

Welcome to the forum and please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions!
Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Kikine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kikine »

Hello !
I thank you all for your response to my request. I'll probably carry on the test via "myapoe.com" and before all follow all the good advices on this website...
Thank you again.
Kindly
Metta4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Metta4 »

Hi Kikine,

I don't know whether LifeExtension is allowed to ship to France, but they have a French version of the site and have a GDPR privacy notice. Is there a French law about providing genetic testing without counseling that prohibits this perhaps?

https://www.lifeextension.com/Search#q= ... =[Products]

Looks like the prices are in dollars, which I assume are Canadian, and so it may not allow you to order. But give it a try.

I personally preferred signing their terms of service over that of 23andMe which basically says "we're using your data whether you like it or not."
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Kikine wrote:from them (only are allowed genetical tests to find ancestors).
When I ordered the 23andMe test in 2014, they were enjoined by the US FDA from providing ApoE4 status and much other health information. The workaround was to download the raw data, which I understand is available on the ancestry test and process it through https://promethease.com/ for a modest fee. This is what I did. When you set up a username and register a kit. You click on your name and choose "Browse Raw Data." Then you will have the option to download the file.

You can also look for the SNP's in the raw data and figure your status out yourself. The SNP's are described in our Primer.
Tincup
E3,E4
Kikine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kikine »

Thank you for your reply
I'll go for the raw data option ... many thanks again Tincup and to all of you!