Hello from Barcelona

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
louie
Contributor
Contributor

Hello from Barcelona

Post by louie »

Please allow me to introduce myself,

My name is Lou, I'm an American teaching English near Barcelona. When discussing Dr Bredesen's book with a student I learned that both her parents had AD; she is in her late 50's and has no desire to know if she's 4/4 because, as everyone "knows", there's nothing you can do about it. Convincing her there truly is hope is not easy. However, as described in "The End of Alzheimer's", the apoe4.info site is incontestable evidence that ReCODE works: hundreds (thousands?) of people with the APOE-ε4 allele, most of whom are getting better. If that ain't evidence I don't know what is!

Her English isn't good enough yet to post and of course we have a lot of reading up to do before asking questions. I've got Parkinson's, myself, and I've started a couple n=1 experiments to see if anything in the ReCODE protocol can help those of us with PD.

So, just thought I'd introduce myself and thank all the people here who have taken the time and trouble to create this website.

All the best,
Lou
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Hello from Barcelona

Post by Fiver »

Hi Lou. It's good to "meet" you! There is a lot to think about the discuss in Dr. Bredesen's book. If your student wanted to participate on the board - maybe we could use a combination of translation software or bilingual board members to help. As for learning her apoe status, that's a big decision she has to make. I think it helps some people. But for others, it causes so much anxiety as to be counter-productive. As both her parents had AD she's aware of the disease and her family history. In my experience that's often enough for people to start making lifestyle changes, to one degree or another. The book is a great introduction to those lifestyle changes. And it is easy to make an argument that even if someone dones't believe they will delay AD they are well-established to reduce risks of heart disease, cancer, depression, etc.

I've found this site to be a wonderful source of information and support.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

louie wrote:Please allow me to introduce myself,

My name is Lou, I'm an American teaching English near Barcelona. When discussing Dr Bredesen's book with a student I learned that both her parents had AD; she is in her late 50's and has no desire to know if she's 4/4 because, as everyone "knows", there's nothing you can do about it. Convincing her there truly is hope is not easy. However, as described in "The End of Alzheimer's", the apoe4.info site is incontestable evidence that ReCODE works: hundreds (thousands?) of people with the APOE-ε4 allele, most of whom are getting better. If that ain't evidence I don't know what is!

Her English isn't good enough yet to post and of course we have a lot of reading up to do before asking questions. I've got Parkinson's, myself, and I've started a couple n=1 experiments to see if anything in the ReCODE protocol can help those of us with PD.

So, just thought I'd introduce myself and thank all the people here who have taken the time and trouble to create this website.

All the best,
Lou
Welcome to the to the Apoe4.info community Lou! It’s great to have you as a member! It sounds like you are on a wonderful learning, growing and giving-back adventure near Barcelona- good on you! Though it may be frustrating at times to observe acquaintances and friends viewing Alzehiemer’s and other diseases through old lenses, I’m also guessing that students and acquaintances alike are taking notice of your own journey and the proactive and hopeful example you are setting in daily practice and through your own education on leading protocols such as Dr. Bredesen’s.

Indeed, lots of active, dynamic members make this rich forum possible!! If you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great starting place to learn about the extensive resources available to you on the ApoE4.info site. And if some point, the student you referenced gets curious/interested the primer is a great place to point her first! It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the ApoE4 allele, is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the ApoE4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies.

Welcome again, it's great to have you as part of the community!
Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

louie wrote:Please allow me to introduce myself,

All the best,
Lou
Welcome to our community Lou!
What a great place to live! I love Barcelona and I am sure surrounding areas are very beautiful too!
I am super happy to hear that by using Dr. Bredense’s protocol you are not only spreading the word about cognitive decline prevention and reversal, but also actively trying to influence your friend’s health!
Please do not hesitate to reach out if you need additional support. I know that it might be challenging in Europe to find a physician who will prescribe necessary laboratory biomarker, but I know by working with a family form Italy, that some advance testing can be done using the laboratory in London.

For now, please dive into the forum. This is a true wealth of information and all members are very supportive and ready to help.

Good Health To You!
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline