Hello, new member from WA. state

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
jody.vajko
New User
New User

Hello, new member from WA. state

Post by jody.vajko »

Hello, I'm new to the forum. My name is Jody. I'm 63 years young, female, living in the Pacific NW. I'm married and our four children are all grown and have lives of their own. I've noticed cognitive issues since back around '94 or so...I was dx'd with MS in 2002. My neuro said that from the location of my lesions it would make sense that it might effect me cognitively. Through finding LDN I went into remission for over 10 years. I still don't think about MS any longer most days. About 20 months ago I came down with Guillian-Barre Syndrome following a severe bout of UC, (3 months earlier,) where I came very close to losing my colon. It was treated with Remicade, which resulted in GBS. I can walk again, with neuropathy in both legs up to my knees, and am continuing to recover. All that to say, my cognitive changes have been in the background, due to some major physical challenges, for awhile now.
For many of years, I've had trouble with organization, staying on task, finding words, always had trouble remembering faces and where I've known someone before or their name. My brain always shuts down when my husband and I have conflict. I simply feels as if I can't think. A couple of times I've felt completely disoriented while driving in my home town. It only lasts a few seconds. (That has been several months ago now.) I always thought I was most likely ADD and undiagnosed. Now I'm not so sure. I'm wanting to have my ApoE status checked through 23andme yet, my husband feels very unsure if its wise. I think he wants me to be positive and simply stop being "lazy" and get stuff done around the house. He doesn't come out and say it. Yet, I know he thinks its a matter of self-discipline. He has said that he doesn't care if I work or not - just to find something that makes me want to get up in the morning and do that. All of the things that need doing each day feel overwhelming to me. Even being around friends feels too much sometimes. I feel depressed lately.
This is NOT who I want to be. I have had big dreams for my own business and travel. I have skills I want to learn and I'd love to learn another language. A few days ago I went online to a website for brain health and played a cognition game. Within 10 mins I felt discouraged and my brain just tuned out. I quit. It seemed so difficult. I guess I just need to know that others are going through similar things and I'm not alone. I do have Dr. Bredensen's book and KNOW there is great hope.
I'm eating a ketogenic diet. Working on Intermittent fasting most days. Wondering if I may be Type 3...
Grateful to have found this forum. I know once I start fitting in the pieces and get some answers I won't be so depressed. Recently, I have found a great therapist and will begin seeing her weekly the end of this month. I also do rebounding for exercise most days.
Looking forward to the learning and getting to know some new friends!
DebS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello, new member from WA. state

Post by DebS »

jody.vajko wrote:Hello, I'm new to the forum. My name is Jody. I'm 63 years young, female, living in the Pacific NW. I'm married and our four children are all grown and have lives of their own. I've noticed cognitive issues since back around '94 or so...I was dx'd with MS in 2002. My neuro said that from the location of my lesions it would make sense that it might effect me cognitively. Through finding LDN I went into remission for over 10 years. I still don't think about MS any longer most days. About 20 months ago I came down with Guillian-Barre Syndrome following a severe bout of UC, (3 months earlier,) where I came very close to losing my colon. It was treated with Remicade, which resulted in GBS. I can walk again, with neuropathy in both legs up to my knees, and am continuing to recover. All that to say, my cognitive changes have been in the background, due to some major physical challenges, for awhile now.
For many of years, I've had trouble with organization, staying on task, finding words, always had trouble remembering faces and where I've known someone before or their name. My brain always shuts down when my husband and I have conflict. I simply feels as if I can't think. A couple of times I've felt completely disoriented while driving in my home town. It only lasts a few seconds. (That has been several months ago now.) I always thought I was most likely ADD and undiagnosed. Now I'm not so sure. I'm wanting to have my ApoE status checked through 23andme yet, my husband feels very unsure if its wise. I think he wants me to be positive and simply stop being "lazy" and get stuff done around the house. He doesn't come out and say it. Yet, I know he thinks its a matter of self-discipline. He has said that he doesn't care if I work or not - just to find something that makes me want to get up in the morning and do that. All of the things that need doing each day feel overwhelming to me. Even being around friends feels too much sometimes. I feel depressed lately.
This is NOT who I want to be. I have had big dreams for my own business and travel. I have skills I want to learn and I'd love to learn another language. A few days ago I went online to a website for brain health and played a cognition game. Within 10 mins I felt discouraged and my brain just tuned out. I quit. It seemed so difficult. I guess I just need to know that others are going through similar things and I'm not alone. I do have Dr. Bredensen's book and KNOW there is great hope.
I'm eating a ketogenic diet. Working on Intermittent fasting most days. Wondering if I may be Type 3...
Grateful to have found this forum. I know once I start fitting in the pieces and get some answers I won't be so depressed. Recently, I have found a great therapist and will begin seeing her weekly the end of this month. I also do rebounding for exercise most days.
Hi Jody. Welcome to ApoE4.info! I know other members will jump in to reassure you that you are not alone in feeling overwhelmed. You are correct that there is great hope. You have found a wonderfully supportive place to continue to gain knowledge. The best place to start is with our primer where you will find a great deal of information as well as prioritized strategies, some of which you are already doing. You might like to take a look at our Thinking About Testing? page for ideas about information to consider when deciding whether or not to test.

Please feel free to reach out with questions. I look forward to your future posts.
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Certified Reversing Cognitive Decline
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

jody.vajko wrote:This is NOT who I want to be. I have had big dreams for my own business and travel. I have skills I want to learn and I'd love to learn another language. A few days ago I went online to a website for brain health and played a cognition game. Within 10 mins I felt discouraged and my brain just tuned out. I quit. It seemed so difficult. I guess I just need to know that others are going through similar things and I'm not alone. I do have Dr. Bredensen's book and KNOW there is great hope.
Hello Jody from another member from WA state. This is indeed a great, knowledgeable community in which to learn and ask questions. In the Meet Up forum, Berrie is thinking about getting us Washingtonians together. Reply and subscribe to this link to be involved in the planning. The Wiki includes a How To resource to help us learn how to navigate this website. You may find it helpful as you begin your journey with us. Have you read any of Terri Wahls books? Her Journey with MS is pretty inspiring.
I hope to meet you one day at a local Meet Up. Carrie
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
jody.vajko
New User
New User

Post by jody.vajko »

Thank you both, DebS and CarrieS for the warm welcome! I have read the Thinking About Testing page and will study the Primer. I am familiar with Terri Wahl. I'm actually far more Carnivore in my diet and seem to react negatively to most vegetables. Are you familiar with Amber O'Hearn and Dr. Georgia Ede? The idea that plants for the most part have chemicals designed to self-protect from predators is very fascinating. Eating fruits that have seeds that would be pooped out by the animal eating them is quite different. Plants seem to welcome that assist. Nutrition is a huge passion of mine. Here is a talk by Dr. Georgia Ede who is a Nutritional Psychiatrist and very knowledgeable about the brain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtR-fvup9Qc
I will be going back onto Low Dose Naltrexone this summer for over all support of my brain. I PMd the person about the Meet Up! Thanks again. I do feel much more encouraged today. I look forward to the months to come and learning more!
Jody
DebS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebS »

jody.vajko wrote:Thank you both, DebS and CarrieS for the warm welcome! I have read the Thinking About Testing page and will study the Primer. I am familiar with Terri Wahl. I'm actually far more Carnivore in my diet and seem to react negatively to most vegetables. Are you familiar with Amber O'Hearn and Dr. Georgia Ede? The idea that plants for the most part have chemicals designed to self-protect from predators is very fascinating. Eating fruits that have seeds that would be pooped out by the animal eating them is quite different. Plants seem to welcome that assist. Nutrition is a huge passion of mine. Here is a talk by Dr. Georgia Ede who is a Nutritional Psychiatrist and very knowledgeable about the brain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtR-fvup9Qc
I will be going back onto Low Dose Naltrexone this summer for over all support of my brain. I PMd the person about the Meet Up! Thanks again. I do feel much more encouraged today. I look forward to the months to come and learning more!
Jody
jody.vajko thank you for the link to Georgia Ede's video! I do follow Terri Wahls but was not familiar with Dr. Ede and enjoyed the video. I am seeing a trend beginning in a small way in my local area, especially in the functional medicine circles, of psychiatrists who are turning to nutrition as a first step instead of pharmaceuticals. I hope to see this continue! I love the health benefits of the phytonutrients that a diet rich in plants provides, but it is so important to take into account what works for you personally. I share your excitement about nutrition and am in fact in the midst of working on a master's in both nutrition and functional medicine. I hope you continue to find encouragement here and are finding supportive contacts in the local WA state group.
Deb
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Certified Reversing Cognitive Decline