New member deciding whether to test

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
SarahB
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New member deciding whether to test

Post by SarahB »

That tidbit "the path of least regret" is very wise.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

jt2005 wrote:Sometimes she seems happy to hear from me and other times just simple conversation seems to stress her out so we only talk for a couple minutes and I feel worse for having called because I've agitated her. My best friend told me to find the path of least regret with my mom and I'm still struggling to find out what that is for me.
Carrying on a conversation seems hard for AD folks. Currently, my SIL can talk for a few minutes, but then gets up and leaves the room if the conversation goes on too long. It's tiring, confusing and frustrating for her to follow the thread.

Perhaps you can write letters to your mom. She is of an age where letters in the mail were a normal part of life, and a short note with a photo or two might be enjoyable, and even if she doesn't remember you, she might appreciate hearing about someone else's life. And your dad can read them to her at a time when she's doing "better".

Hugs, from someone who has been there with my dad.
jt2005
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jt2005 »

SusanJ wrote: Carrying on a conversation seems hard for AD folks. Currently, my SIL can talk for a few minutes, but then gets up and leaves the room if the conversation goes on too long. It's tiring, confusing and frustrating for her to follow the thread.

Perhaps you can write letters to your mom. She is of an age where letters in the mail were a normal part of life, and a short note with a photo or two might be enjoyable, and even if she doesn't remember you, she might appreciate hearing about someone else's life. And your dad can read them to her at a time when she's doing "better".

Hugs, from someone who has been there with my dad.
Susan, that's a wonderful suggestion, thank you! Something I hadn't really thought of but used to do when I was in college, before email and digital photos. May also serve as a kind of journal for both our experiences.