Advanced Lipids testing

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Advanced Lipids testing

Post by TheBrain »

Hi folks,

I'd like to share my advanced lipid testing results with you. I welcome your feedback, and I have four questions embedded in my results, but I'll also pull them together to hopefully make them easier to answer. Thanks!

I recently did my first NMR LipoProfile. In 2016, I did Quest's Cardio IQ. In between, I tested a few heart-health markers. (I also did a couple of basic lipid panels; I won't include them here.) In 2016, I had coronary calcium test done. I was in the 99+ percentile for women my age. I'm getting retested next month.

My Questions
1. Can LDL-P be too low? I’m under Dr. Bredesen’s recommended range.
2. Does NMR's LDL Size correlate to anything in Quest’s Cardio IQ? Both tests show I have Pattern A.
3. Is Quest's HDL Large the same thing as NMR’s HDL-P? The unit of measurement differs.
4. Is Quest's LDL Small the same thing as NMR’s Small LDL-P? The unit of measurement is the same, but the reference range differs significantly.

Dr. Bredesen’s Recommendations
  • *LDL-p 700–1000 OR sdLDL <20 OR oxidized LDL (OxLDL) <60
    *Cholesterol, Total >150
    *HDL >50
    *Triglycerides <150
NMR LipoProfile May 2019
(While taking 3 tablets Welchol per day (half the usual dose) and GI Detox from Bio-Botanical Research to bind mycotoxins from mold toxicity, as well as using far infrared sauna) (also after being diagnosed with and treated for hydrogen sulfide SIBO)
  • *LDL-P: 632 nmol/L (Reference: <1000 is “low”) (Can LDL-P be too low? I’m under Dr. Bredesen’s recommended range.)
    *LDL-C: 89 mg/dL (Reference: <100 is “optimal”)
    *HDL-C: 101 mg/dL (Reference: >39)
    *Triglycerides: 41 mg/dL (Reference: 0-149)
    *Cholesterol, Total: 198 mg/dL (Reference: 100–199)
    *HDL-P (Total): 38.6 umol/L (Reference: >=30.5)
    *Small LDL-P: <90 nmol/L (Reference: <=527)
    *LDL Size: 21 nm (Reference: >20.5) (Large, Pattern A) (Does LDL Size correlate to anything in Quest’s Cardio IQ? Both tests show I have Pattern A.)
    *LP-IR Score (Insulin Resistance Marker): 25 (Reference <=45)
LP-PLA2 Activity (Vascular Inflammatory Marker)
Note: The earlier test was done prior to treatment for mold toxicity and SIBO. The later test was done after treatment for mold toxicity had begun, but I still didn't know I had SIBO.
  • *July 2018: LP-PLA2 from Quest: 105 nmol/min/mL (Reference: <=123 is “optimal”) (uses a new way of measuring the function of the LP-PLA2 enzyme, so the numbers can’t be compared to my first LP-PLA2 test result below)
    *June 2016: LP-PLA2 from Quest: 216 ng/mL (Reference: 200–235 is “moderate risk”)
Myeloperoxidase (MPO) and OxLDL June 2017
(Prior to treatment for mold toxicity and SIBO)
  • *Myeloperoxidase: 322 pmo/L (Reference: <470)
    *OxLDL: 39 U/L (Reference: <60)
Quest’s Cardio IQ June 2016
(Prior to treatment for mold toxicity and SIBO)
Note the five "moderate risk" results.
  • *Cholesterol, Total: 225 mg/dL (Reference: 200–239 is “moderate risk”)
    *HDL-C: 100 mg/dL (Reference: >=46 is “optimal”)
    *Triglycerides: 47 mg/dL (Reference: <150 is “optimal”)
    *LDL-C: 116 mg/dL (Reference: 100–129 is “moderate risk”)
    *Chol/HDL-D Ratio: 2.3 (Reference: <=3.5 is "optimal") (Not in NMR)
    Non-HDL Cholesterol: 125 mg/dL (Reference: <130 is "optimal") (Not in NMR)

*LDL-P: 934 nmol/L (Reference: <1260 is “optimal”)
    *LDL Small: 163 nmol/L (Reference: 162–217 is “moderate risk”) (Is LDL Small the same thing as NMR’s Small LDL-P? The unit of measurement is the same, but the reference range differs significantly.)
    *LDL Medium: 166 nmol/L (Reference: <201 is “optimal”) (Not in NMR)
    *HDL Large (Total): 7888 nmol/L (Reference: 6996–9386 is “moderate risk”) (Is HDL Large the same thing as NMR’s HDL-P? The unit of measurement differs.)

*Apolipoprotein B: 79 mg/dL (Reference: <80 is “optimal”) (Not in NMR)
    *Lipoprotein (a): <10 nmol/L (Reference: <75 is “optimal”) (Not in NMR)

*LP-PLA2 from Quest: 216 ng/mL (Reference: 200–235 is “moderate risk”)

*LDL Pattern: Pattern A (Pattern A is “optimal”)
    *LDL Peak Size: 233.1 (Reference: >222.5 is “optimal”) (Not in NMR)
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Advanced Lipids testing

Post by Julie G »

Your ratios are excellent, Brain. Kudos! Given that Welchol has a lipid lowering effect, I wouldn't be concerned at all... unless you're noticing an effect on your cognition. Once you're done with your binder, I'm sure your lipids will return to normal.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Advanced Lipids testing

Post by TheBrain »

Julie G wrote:Your ratios are excellent, Brain. Kudos! Given that Welchol has a lipid lowering effect, I wouldn't be concerned at all... unless you're noticing an effect on your cognition. Once you're done with your binder, I'm sure your lipids will return to normal.
Thanks, Julie. I just looked up Welchol and found this:
Welchol (colesevelam) is a cholesterol-lowering medication that belongs to the bile acid resin class of drugs. Studies have shown that Welchol mainly lowers LDL cholesterol by about 20% and slightly raises HDL by up to 11%. Welchol does not appear to affect triglycerides and, in some cases, may actually raise triglycerides if taken for a prolonged amount of time.
Source: https://www.verywellhealth.com/welchol- ... sin-697639

Welchol also helps lower blood glucose. My HbA1c was recently 5.0. That’s my lowest result to date.

Gosh, if I can ever get off binders, at least Welchol. I recently had my third urine mycotoxins test from Great Plains. The results were disappointing. I’ll post about that elsewhere.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!