New member intro

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New member intro

Post by mike »

My wife said to ask you about electrolytes. She says she gets brain fog sometimes, and taking 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter and 1/2 teaspoon salt in three cups water helps her...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Sgl9x
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sgl9x »

Thanks mike,

I take a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and potassium every morning and another in the afternoon. This along with 400 mg of magnesium keeps me from getting cramps at night. I'm pretty sure I don't get 5 grams of salt and 5 grams of potassium everyday. Maybe just enough to stop cramps but not enough to prevent brain fog? However, my blood tests don't say I have a deficiency in them.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Sgl9x wrote:Thanks mike,

I take a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and potassium every morning and another in the afternoon. This along with 400 mg of magnesium keeps me from getting cramps at night. I'm pretty sure I don't get 5 grams of salt and 5 grams of potassium everyday. Maybe just enough to stop cramps but not enough to prevent brain fog? However, my blood tests don't say I have a deficiency in them.
This is not so much a problem for me, as it is for my wife, who it sounds like has some similar medical issues - slow heart beat, low blood pressure. Since you are taking some, it is probably okay. It is another experiment to try, but not at the same time as your new added protein. One thing at a time. Speaking of which, at some point, with your doctor's okay, I would try to build up to about double your current exercise - this will increase blood flow to the brain.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Sgl9x
Contributor
Contributor

Gellan Gum

Post by Sgl9x »

I just found out what was giving me diarrhea for over a month. I thought it was twice frozen butter but it wasn't. It is Gellan Gum.

The reason it took me so long to figure it out was because I was eating two things that had it in it. Organic Heavy cream and store bought Macadamia nut milk. So beware of this...
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Gellan Gum

Post by mike »

Sgl9x wrote:I just found out what was giving me diarrhea for over a month. I thought it was twice frozen butter but it wasn't. It is Gellan Gum.
Nice! How's the N=1 experiment going? What changes have you made?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Sgl9x
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sgl9x »

mike wrote:Nice! How's the N=1 experiment going? What changes have you made?
I have upped my protein intake by 20 grams but still have brain fog. Still working on it
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Sgl9x wrote:I just found out what was giving me diarrhea for over a month. I thought it was twice frozen butter but it wasn't. It is Gellan Gum.

The reason it took me so long to figure it out was because I was eating two things that had it in it. Organic Heavy cream and store bought Macadamia nut milk. So beware of this...
Great that you found the culprit. Until reading your post today, I had not heard of Gellan Gum.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Sgl9x wrote:I have upped my protein intake by 20 grams but still have brain fog. Still working on it
Any Change?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Sgl9x
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sgl9x »

Not yet
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Sgl9x wrote:Not yet
have you been tracking your blood sugars at all with the additional protein? When you say not yet, do you mean still having brain fog? Seems to me you could double your protein in the shake, assuming no adverse blood sugars.
Sonoma Mike
4/4