Vitamin D question

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Vitamin D question

Post by JudyH »

Newbie starting to gather my biomarkers

Vitamin D came back at 30 ng/mL. That is near the bottom of the range which is 25-80 ng/mL. I should target a little higher than that 50 - 80 ng/mL, correct?

I am pale Irish background, skin cancer in my family. I saw the discussion recently posted on here about getting your Vitamin D from the sun but that is not likely to happen because I live in MI in the US and we don't get sun most of the year!!

I have been supplementing 2000 IU per day for years and am only up to 30 ng/mL. How much do others that don't live in sunny climates supplement to get your Vit D up to the recommended range? I noticed 5000 IU's available, too much or might that be a good amount to try?

Thanks!
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Vitamin D question

Post by BrianR »

There seems to be some evidence and a lot of enthusiasm for supplementing with Vitamin K (particularly K2) to help with Vitamin D absorption/utilization. The internet can supply you with studies containing recommendations/warnings for just about any level of Vitamin D supplementation. It does seem that 5000 IU of D3 per day is probably ok, and will probably raise your blood D levels, particularly (probably) if you make sure to consume plenty of leafy greens and perhaps a K2 supplement.

Michigan (at least SE Michigan) isn't that bad, after all, we had sunshine last Saturday.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

5000 IU raised mine from 9 (yes, 9) to ~45. Everything I've read indicates that this dosage is safe. I don't know about the vitamin K aspect, though I eat lots of veggies.
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JudyH »

BrianR wrote: Michigan (at least SE Michigan) isn't that bad, after all, we had sunshine last Saturday.
Hahaha, today is your day this week! I am cutting the grass. Rain starts again tomorrow!
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos