Dietitian needed Niagara Falls NY/ON area?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Dietitian needed Niagara Falls NY/ON area?

Post by Richard McG »

Ok following Dr. Bredesen as much as possible. The problem seems to be I levelled off at about 20 pounds lighter than I was.
Trying to gain healthy weight and struggling to do it safely. There is only so much plant-based items I can consume in a day :lol: and fast for 16 hours. 4/4 was about 165 now down to 140 ish 6ft tall. Still in the healthy BMI (lower end) but all my associates and family are concerned. Is there any Bredesen dieticians recommendations in Southern Ontario, Canada. Most I have visited know less than I do or have just read his book. Or recommendations anywhere in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY.
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dietitian needed Niagara Falls NY/ON area?

Post by slacker »

Richard McG wrote:Ok following Dr. Bredesen as much as possible. The problem seems to be I levelled off at about 20 pounds lighter than I was.
Trying to gain healthy weight and struggling to do it safely. There is only so much plant-based items I can consume in a day :lol: and fast for 16 hours. 4/4 was about 165 now down to 140 ish 6ft tall. Still in the healthy BMI (lower end) but all my associates and family are concerned. Is there any Bredesen dieticians recommendations in Southern Ontario, Canada. Most I have visited know less than I do or have just read his book. Or recommendations anywhere in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY.
It can be hard to find the right people with the right skills in the right place. You might want to expand your search for dieticians who work online or by phone. Some dieticians have taken Dr Bredesen's training with IFM (Institute for Functional Medicine). This is a 3 day course (last I looked), so just taking the course doesn't mean one's an expert. Some times you can get a short visit for free to determine the professional's knowledge base and see if it will be a good fit.

I went to the IFM website, provider search, and selected those who work online or by phone, are IFM Certified (have taken many foundational courses), and are "nutrition professionals." I'm linking my search results here. Hope this helps.
Slacker
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Richard McG wrote:Ok following Dr. Bredesen as much as possible. The problem seems to be I levelled off at about 20 pounds lighter than I was.
Hi Richard,
You are to be commended for listening to the concerns of your family and associates, especially since it sounds like you didn't intend to take quite this much weight off and might be at risk for continued weight loss or missing important micronutrients. In addition to the IFM-trained practitioners that Slacker found who work online, I found this group of registered dietitian nutritionists who practice out of Buffalo, NY and two nearby suburbs. Although I don't know of them personally, I was intrigued by the existence of a "specialty practice" focused on integrative and functional medicine within the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Here's a quote from their website and the link to it. If you do end up working with them and would recommend them to others, please feel free to post a review on Practitioner Reviews. Best of luck in your efforts!
Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine (DIFM), a specialty practice group of Registered Dietitians within the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, whose core philosophy centers around a holistic, personalized approach to health and healing. DIFM members integrate a variety of nutrition therapies including whole foods, tailored supplements and mind body modalities in clinical practice.
https://www.buffalo-nutrition-and-dietetics.com/integrative-functional-nutrition

And by the way, you Canadians do have the best side of Niagara Falls, but we Americans have the best yellow raincoat tour in the Cave of the Winds. (IMHO)
4/4 and still an optimist!
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Wow, you guys are so helpful at this site!! Thank you both so much.
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)