Glucose and insulin levels

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
swanlzs
Contributor
Contributor

Glucose and insulin levels

Post by swanlzs »

Hi;
Had a dr appt a couple weeks ago. My Fasting Glucose was 97mg/dl. It's been in the mid to upper 90's for several years now (I'm 67). My Insulin was 3.51 ulU/mL (normal listed as 1.90-23.00). Should I be concerned about that glucose level? It used to be mid to low 80's when I was younger. I generally do a 16/8 fast most days except weekends it's usually 12-14 hr fast. Don't do keto, but don't eat refined sugars/starches.
It's the first time I've discussed my APOE4 (3/4) with my dr. Other labs good - TC-189, LDL-87, HDL 82, TG 99 (units mg/dl). hs-CRP 0.5 mg/L (normal <9.9) Homocysteine 10 (normal <=10) I'm homozygous for the MTHFR mutation.
Thanks for thoughts.
E3/E4
Still working full time at 67
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Glucose and insulin levels

Post by NF52 »

swanlzs wrote:Hi;
Had a dr appt a couple weeks ago. My Fasting Glucose was 97mg/dl. It's been in the mid to upper 90's for several years now (I'm 67). My Insulin was 3.51 ulU/mL (normal listed as 1.90-23.00). Should I be concerned about that glucose level? It used to be mid to low 80's when I was younger. I generally do a 16/8 fast most days except weekends it's usually 12-14 hr fast. Don't do keto, but don't eat refined sugars/starches.
It's the first time I've discussed my APOE4 (3/4) with my dr. Other labs good - TC-189, LDL-87, HDL 82, TG 99 (units mg/dl). hs-CRP 0.5 mg/L (normal <9.9) Homocysteine 10 (normal <=10) I'm homozygous for the MTHFR mutation.
Thanks for thoughts.
Hi swanlzs, I'm sorry no one has replied to your post--things can get a little busy on the forum and with new posts coming on, yours may have not been seen. So I'm sending it back to the head of the line. At 67, my labs are pretty close to your, and the only score that seems a little high is your homocysteine, which Dr. Bredesen likes to see at <6. Our Wiki section on Methylation may be helpful to you.
And I'm also going to link to a forum thread on homocsyteine, glucose and heart disease. It includes posts by Stavia, who wrote the Primer, and SusanJ, who wrote the wiki linked above. It also mentions a link between high homocystine and low B vitamins, so you might want to have those tested. (The head of a clinical study I was on wanted mine at 500 or above, which is what Dr. Bredesen also recommends. I take a daily 500 mcg lozenge of methylcobalamin (better absorbed) and my lvels went from 422 to 672 in less than a year. Does lowering Homocysteine lower CVD Risk?

Feel free to post some more about what you think might be going on, or what your doctor says about your numbers.
4/4 and still an optimist!
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

swanlzs wrote:Hi;
Thanks for thoughts.
With the fasting glucose and insulin numbers, your insulin resistance is good, so I wouldn't worry about the Glucose alone. How is your intake of fructose (and corn syrup)?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
swanlzs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by swanlzs »

Thank you for your kind replies. Appreciate it.
E3/E4
Still working full time at 67
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

swanlzs wrote: Should I be concerned about that glucose level? It used to be mid to low 80's when I was younger.
There's more to glucose levels than just what you eat. Have you read the wiki on blood sugar? Blood Sugar
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4