Newcomer Introduction

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Helena
New User
New User

Newcomer Introduction

Post by Helena »

I am new here. I am APOE 3/4. My mother developed dementia. Hers was a long journey. She passed away in 2015. I so much regret that I didn't know then what I know now, and that she didn't have to had fallen into the dementia as badly as she had at the end. At the end, she didn't know me. To her, her daughter was a much younger person. I was a stranger.

I accidentally stumbled across Dr Bredesen's book last year. It was just a chance turning on of the TV while I ate lunch, and he was being talked about on the Dr Oz show. The clip was about the process the body uses to clear away excess insulin and amyloid. I ordered the book.

And here I am. I have been lurking here for a while. For about 8 months now, I have been concentrating on correcting my inflammation and insulin resistance and methylation issues issues through a change in diet and the addition of exercise, I feel so much better. I wish I had done this years ago.

Last week I decided to try some of the suggested herbs. Specifically, I started taking Ashwagandha, Bacopa monnieri, Gotu kola and Triphala. All I can say is, "Holy Cow!". I hadn't expected results so soon. It's as if someone put a set of window wiper blades in my head and gave my brain a good scrubbing. It's what prompted me to finally say something on this forum. I am just flabbergasted.

I purchased the herbs in bulk. I put them into a shot glass, mixed in some water, and, down the hatch they went. But they are so bitter. I am open to suggestions on how best to take them. Although. I don't know if I have the patience to pack all that herb powder into capsules.

Thanks for listening. Or, reading. And thank you for having me here. Helena
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Newcomer Introduction

Post by Sara »

Helena wrote:I am new here.
Hi Helena and welcome to the apoe4.info site! Sorry to hear about your Mom... my mother passed away from heart disease back in 2002 and boy do I wish we know now what we knew then. But we have the power to change our lives for the better and lead the way for future generations, as you have so clearly demonstrated. What a great story you present and congratulations on your successes. You provide encouragement to many! If you've been on the site for 8 months I am sure you are aware of the Primer which is a great educational resource for our members. Please keep us posted on your activities and let us know how we can be of service to you. Warm Regard, Sara
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Helena wrote:I am new here. I am APOE 3/4. My mother developed dementia. Hers was a long journey. She passed away in 2015. I so much regret that I didn't know then what I know now, and that she didn't have to had fallen into the dementia as badly as she had at the end. At the end, she didn't know me. To her, her daughter was a much younger person. I was a stranger.

I accidentally stumbled across Dr Bredesen's book last year. It was just a chance turning on of the TV while I ate lunch, and he was being talked about on the Dr Oz show. The clip was about the process the body uses to clear away excess insulin and amyloid. I ordered the book.

And here I am. I have been lurking here for a while. For about 8 months now, I have been concentrating on correcting my inflammation and insulin resistance and methylation issues issues through a change in diet and the addition of exercise, I feel so much better. I wish I had done this years ago.

Last week I decided to try some of the suggested herbs. Specifically, I started taking Ashwagandha, Bacopa monnieri, Gotu kola and Triphala. All I can say is, "Holy Cow!". I hadn't expected results so soon. It's as if someone put a set of window wiper blades in my head and gave my brain a good scrubbing. It's what prompted me to finally say something on this forum. I am just flabbergasted.

I purchased the herbs in bulk. I put them into a shot glass, mixed in some water, and, down the hatch they went. But they are so bitter. I am open to suggestions on how best to take them. Although. I don't know if I have the patience to pack all that herb powder into capsules.

Thanks for listening. Or, reading. And thank you for having me here. Helena
Hi Helena, Thank you so much for introducing yourself and sharing your story . Like you, I regret that the information we have now that could have helped our mothers just was not available when they could have benefited. My mom also had a very long journey through the stages of the disease.
Fortunately for us, we have information that we can use to vastly improve our odds of maintaining our cognition, and even improving it, as you have done. What great news that the herbal cocktail has worked so well for you. That's really fantastic! I appreciate your sharing your success with that; if you'd be willing to share some more details, I'd really like to know how many mgs of each herb have you been taking and what brand. I might consider switching to powders myself. I actually like bitter.
As for changing how you are taking them, other than packing the powders into gel caps, the only thing I can think of would be to buy already packed capsules or tablets. My guess is that it will be much more expensive in pre-packed form.
I've been mainly using Himalayan brand.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Helena
New User
New User

Post by Helena »

I purchased the herbs already powdered. They do also sell unground herbs. If it's permitted to speak of specific brands, what I did was, I asked a friend who used to own an herbal store what source(s) of herbs she would recommend. She referred me to Mountain Rose Herbs. The herbs arrived in plastic bags, all labeled as to how many grams there are per teaspoon. I promptly put the herbs into Mason Jars. The labels on the plastic bags conveniently peeled off, so I put the labels onto the Mason Jars. To answer your question as to how much I am taking. Each herb is different. A teaspoon of each herb measures differently as to how many grams are in there. After doing some math, I take approximately 1/4 teaspoon of each, twice a day. A couple of them I take a level 1/4 teaspoon. A couple of them I take a heaped 1/4 teaspoon.

On the subject of bitter. We are all different. But for me, I have now found that if I follow my herb cocktail with a nice sour pickle, the bitter promptly disappears.
Rick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rick »

"On the subject of bitter. We are all different. But for me, I have now found that if I follow my herb cocktail with a nice sour pickle, the bitter promptly disappears."

If the sour pickle works then you could also mix the powder into some home made sauerkraut.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Helena wrote:I purchased the herbs already powdered. They do also sell unground herbs. If it's permitted to speak of specific brands, what I did was, I asked a friend who used to own an herbal store what source(s) of herbs she would recommend. She referred me to Mountain Rose Herbs. The herbs arrived in plastic bags, all labeled as to how many grams there are per teaspoon. I promptly put the herbs into Mason Jars. The labels on the plastic bags conveniently peeled off, so I put the labels onto the Mason Jars. To answer your question as to how much I am taking. Each herb is different. A teaspoon of each herb measures differently as to how many grams are in there. After doing some math, I take approximately 1/4 teaspoon of each, twice a day. A couple of them I take a level 1/4 teaspoon. A couple of them I take a heaped 1/4 teaspoon.
thanks, Helena, for sharing the info on the brand and amounts. I do not believe that your posting the name of the company you, personally, are purchasing violates Community Guidelines. It is just sharing a resource.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health