Introduction

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Gearshift
New User
New User

Introduction

Post by Gearshift »

My mother got diagnosed with Alzheimer's at age 69 a few months ago. She had memory problems for a few years before. First I thought she was depressed and/or stressed out. So the diagnosis came as a shock to me. She got a proper diagnosis with LP, MRI and cognitive tests.
I'm looking for info on how to help her get better or slow down the decline as much as possible. The best (feasible) ideas and I've found so far is from the Bredesen "Recode" protocol. I'm from Sweden and I'm looking for somewhere to get the testing done. I have a descent knowledge base about biomedicine.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Introduction

Post by floramaria »

Gearshift wrote:My mother got diagnosed with Alzheimer's at age 69 a few months ago. She had memory problems for a few years before. First I thought she was depressed and/or stressed out. So the diagnosis came as a shock to me. She got a proper diagnosis with LP, MRI and cognitive tests.
I'm looking for info on how to help her get better or slow down the decline as much as possible. The best (feasible) ideas and I've found so far is from the Bredesen "Recode" protocol. I'm from Sweden and I'm looking for somewhere to get the testing done. I have a descent knowledge base about biomedicine.
Welcome , Gearshift. I am so sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. She is lucky to have your help. Reading The End of Alzheimer's and following Dr Bredesen's Protocol has been helpful to many people. Since I am not familiar with Swedish health care system, I don't have any suggestions to offer on how to get testing done. But I did a search for previous posts containing "Sweden" using our Search function, which is the magnifying glass to the left of your user name near the top of the page. There are 5 pages of post that contain Sweden, and I noticed that there are a few posts from other people who are in Sweden too. So perhaps one of them might know about getting testing done. You could reach out to them either through PM or by quoting their posts, which will send them notification they've received a reply. You can learn tips like this at How To Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. It is a user-friendly resource that explains how to quote people so they see your replies, how to search topics, how to subscribe to forums of high interest and how to send Private Messages. looking it over may help you find relevant information and resources within the posts on the website.

The Primer on this website, written by a physician member is a wonderful resource which has prioritized steps that can be taken to help reduce the risk of cognitive decline. Is your mom already already modifying the lifestyle factors to conform to what is known to be protective to her cognition? Putting those things in place while you are researching where to get testing might both help her and also let you know that even though you can't track the biomarkers yet, you are moving forward.

Sending best wishes to you and your mom.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Introduction

Post by CoachMT »

Gearshift wrote:My mother got diagnosed with Alzheimer's at age 69 a few months ago. She had memory problems for a few years before. First I thought she was depressed and/or stressed out. So the diagnosis came as a shock to me. She got a proper diagnosis with LP, MRI and cognitive tests.
Welcome Gearshift to the Apoe4.info community! We are happy you found this supportive community to share your own experience with your mother and to glean new information to support your mother. I can imagine you have been feeling somewhat overwhelmed since learning your mother’s Alzheimer’s diagnosis. How lucky she is to have a daughter who is proactively looking out for her and investigating the latest research to better support and care for her.

While waiting for members in Sweden to share where/how they are getting testing done to support the ReCODE protocol, as Floramaria shared, the primer is a great place to start learning about the extensive resources available to you on the ApoE4.info site. Additionally, you may also be interested in checking out Our Stories to learn about fellow community members ’journeys.

You may also be interested in checking out the thread on
eating a healthy diet with heaps of micronutrients and the “Recipes from Members section to get ideas for healthy meals your mom might enjoy.

So glad you are part of this community and please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions!

Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)