I need help with my 23andme report...

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Roguejim
Contributor
Contributor

I need help with my 23andme report...

Post by Roguejim »

Specifically, I need help with the Apoe4 report. I can't tell if I am a 3/4 or 4/4, or possibly, neither. Here is part of the report. It says I am "likely" an Apoe4 carrier. What can I conclude from this? Do I need further testing to determine if I am a 3/4 or 4/4, or neither? Thanks.

APOE rs4420638(A;G) rs429358(C;T) rs7412(C;T)
Likely apoe4 carrier This genotype usually indicates a match for APOE4 status, however, it relies on a proxy SNP (an rs4420638(G) allele) that is not a perfect indicator of APOE status. It may be worth validating independently by alternate means.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: I need help with my 23andme report...

Post by TheresaB »

There's this from SNPedia
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Alzheimer%27s_disease

Also you can run your data through https://promethease.com/ costs $12, their reports are pretty clear.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Roguejim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roguejim »

Thanks. That was actually the apoE report from Rhonda Patrick's site. I'll try Promethease, although I've heard it's difficult to understand.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

Roguejim wrote:Thanks. That was actually the apoE report from Rhonda Patrick's site. I'll try Promethease, although I've heard it's difficult to understand.
I hope you'll post shareable results. I am thinking about running my 23andme through another lab/site, etc. Mine was clear --- one APOE4, which is what I was hoping for (knew ran on my mother's side, had no clue about father's side). I would just like more details, independent look at their results on all health factors. Thanks!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Roguejim wrote:Thanks. That was actually the apoE report from Rhonda Patrick's site. I'll try Promethease, although I've heard it's difficult to understand.
Go to the Promethease website, they have sample test results, looks pretty clear to me, but if you feel it is difficult to understand, you don't have to spend the $12.

Here's a partial screen shot of what I called up from the site
promethease capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Matisse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Matisse »

Roguejim wrote:Specifically, I need help with the Apoe4 report. I can't tell if I am a 3/4 or 4/4, or possibly, neither. Here is part of the report. It says I am "likely" an Apoe4 carrier. What can I conclude from this? Do I need further testing to determine if I am a 3/4 or 4/4, or neither? Thanks.

Likely apoe4 carrier This genotype usually indicates a match for APOE4 status, however, it relies on a proxy SNP (an rs4420638(G) allele) that is not a perfect indicator of APOE status. It may be worth validating independently by alternate means.
It looks like you are apoe 4/2. RS 429358ct is one apoe4. RS7412ct is apoe2.
Roguejim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roguejim »

Matisse wrote:
Roguejim wrote:Specifically, I need help with the Apoe4 report. I can't tell if I am a 3/4 or 4/4, or possibly, neither. Here is part of the report. It says I am "likely" an Apoe4 carrier. What can I conclude from this? Do I need further testing to determine if I am a 3/4 or 4/4, or neither? Thanks.

It looks like you are apoe 4/2. RS 429358ct is one apoe4. RS7412ct is apoe2.
So, that means I got the "4" variant from my mother, and the "2" from my father?
Matisse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Matisse »

Unless your parents have been tested for apoe you have no way of knowing who you got each from. All you know is one parent has a 4 and one has a 2.
Roguejim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roguejim »

Matisse wrote:Unless your parents have been tested for apoe you have no way of knowing who you got each from. All you know is one parent has a 4 and one has a 2.
Okay, thank you.
Is there any effective difference between a 4/2, and a 2/4?
Matisse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Matisse »

No, you have one 2 and one 4.