introducing myself and question

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Kitkat
Contributor
Contributor

introducing myself and question

Post by Kitkat »

Hello everyone! I have been reading the forums here, with great interest, for the past couple of months and I think it's time to join and introduce myself. I learned that I have one copy of the apoe4 gene after taking 23andMe in 2013. I felt fairly panicked about it but I've decided recently to educate myself more aggressively about lifestyle changes I can make to reduce my chances of late onset AD.

My story: my father's mother died of Alzheimer's at the age of 69 in 1969 (this diagnosis was confirmed by an autopsy report which I have read). She evidently had early onset AD--thus both my father and his younger sister inherited one copy of apoe4 (I have not confirmed this with genetic testing but my father's father died at 90 and was fully cognitively intact, and I therefore speculate that he was 3/3). My father had some things going for him: higher education (he excelled in college and at a prestigious law school); he was an avid reader and intellectually/socially engaged; and he jogged regularly from his thirties through his sixties (he was part of the Jim Fixx running revolution of the 1970s). But he had a very bad diet (lots of processed carbs, red meat), drank a fair amount of beer (sapping his cognitive reserve) and according to doctors' reports we found, had high cholesterol throughout middle age (it went untreated). He had a large belly as well. In his early seventies, he developed Parkinson's, heart problems (he had a bypass and a mitral valve repair) and cognitive issues. He died at 82 and an autopsy confirmed plaques and tangles. (Incidentally, we consented to submit his brain for an Alzheimer's study out of Boston.) In contrast, my father's sister had an exemplary diet, also exercised very regularly (and at greater intensity and for a longer period of time) and was a teetotaler. She is now 84 and has been cognitively intact, although there are signs that she may now be experiencing mild cognitive impairment.

I have exercised diligently starting in college (intense aerobic exercise and weight training). I'm now 51 and experiencing perimenopause and so I'm investigating whether to do bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (although complicating that decision is my mother's death at 75 from ovarian cancer). My diet has been pretty good, but as a result of reading Dr. Lisa Mosconi's Brain Food, I have fully embraced a Mediterranean diet. I feel great. I also take a B12 complex vitamin, vitamin D, and Astaxanthin. My job requires a high degree of intellectual engagement, and I enjoy social engagement. The hardest thing for me has been totally quitting wine and alcohol :-) So that's me (KitKat).

My question is this: I came across an older study (circa 2008) that indicated that it was worse to inherit the apoe4 gene from your mother, as opposed to your father. Is there any evidence that that is the case? I'm aware that it's worse to carry the gene as a woman.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Kitkat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: introducing myself and question

Post by Kitkat »

So I just realized there's an entire thread here called "Maternal Inheritance" where people mull over this question. I'm still getting the hang of this, sorry!
DebS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: introducing myself and question

Post by DebS »

Kitkat wrote:Hello everyone! I have been reading the forums here, with great interest, for the past couple of months and I think it's time to join and introduce myself. I learned that I have one copy of the apoe4 gene after taking 23andMe in 2013. I felt fairly panicked about it but I've decided recently to educate myself more aggressively about lifestyle changes I can make to reduce my chances of late onset AD.

My story: my father's mother died of Alzheimer's at the age of 69 in 1969 (this diagnosis was confirmed by an autopsy report which I have read). She evidently had early onset AD--thus both my father and his younger sister inherited one copy of apoe4 (I have not confirmed this with genetic testing but my father's father died at 90 and was fully cognitively intact, and I therefore speculate that he was 3/3). My father had some things going for him: higher education (he excelled in college and at a prestigious law school); he was an avid reader and intellectually/socially engaged; and he jogged regularly from his thirties through his sixties (he was part of the Jim Fixx running revolution of the 1970s). But he had a very bad diet (lots of processed carbs, red meat), drank a fair amount of beer (sapping his cognitive reserve) and according to doctors' reports we found, had high cholesterol throughout middle age (it went untreated). He had a large belly as well. In his early seventies, he developed Parkinson's, heart problems (he had a bypass and a mitral valve repair) and cognitive issues. He died at 82 and an autopsy confirmed plaques and tangles. (Incidentally, we consented to submit his brain for an Alzheimer's study out of Boston.) In contrast, my father's sister had an exemplary diet, also exercised very regularly (and at greater intensity and for a longer period of time) and was a teetotaler. She is now 84 and has been cognitively intact, although there are signs that she may now be experiencing mild cognitive impairment.

I have exercised diligently starting in college (intense aerobic exercise and weight training). I'm now 51 and experiencing perimenopause and so I'm investigating whether to do bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (although complicating that decision is my mother's death at 75 from ovarian cancer). My diet has been pretty good, but as a result of reading Dr. Lisa Mosconi's Brain Food, I have fully embraced a Mediterranean diet. I feel great. I also take a B12 complex vitamin, vitamin D, and Astaxanthin. My job requires a high degree of intellectual engagement, and I enjoy social engagement. The hardest thing for me has been totally quitting wine and alcohol :-) So that's me (KitKat).

My question is this: I came across an older study (circa 2008) that indicated that it was worse to inherit the apoe4 gene from your mother, as opposed to your father. Is there any evidence that that is the case? I'm aware that it's worse to carry the gene as a woman.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Hello and welcome kitkat! Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father and your experience with his cognitive issues. How many people you may help though by your being willing to allow his brain to be used in an Alzheimer's study. As it sounds like you already are aware, your genes are only about 15% of the total picture while the other 85% is dependent on lifestyle factors that affect whether the genes "turn on" or not. Congratulations on all of the positive changes you have already made that will help in prevention.

I hope you will find this site a warm and welcoming source of information. A great place to begin is our primer, written by Dr. Stavia. There you will find great overview information, as well as a prioritized list of prevention strategies. The "How To" section of our wiki will give you tips and instructions like how to quote when you respond to a post so the author will see your response.

Please feel free to reach out with questions. I look forward to seeing your future posts.
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Certified Reversing Cognitive Decline