38 yo, pregnant, 4/4, optimistic

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
empyrean
New User
New User

38 yo, pregnant, 4/4, optimistic

Post by empyrean »

Hi Everyone,

I am recently pregnant with our first child, and my husband and I decided to undergo genetic testing to understand the risks our genetic profiles might have for our child. We did 23andme, and I wasn't really intending to assess my risk for AD, that was a bit of an afterthought - I mainly was worried we were carriers for other diseases, like cystic fibrosis, etc. So I was definitely shocked to find out I am APOE 4/4.

Upon processing the news after a couple of days, I'm realizing that finding out may very well be a blessing in disguise. I keep thinking that all of us are at risk for various diseases in our lifetimes, but at least those of us on this forum have a stronger, more immediate motivation than most to do what we can about our risks. For instance, I have a strong feeling this knowledge will help me sustain the long-term motivation to continue major lifestyle and health changes that I have adopted since planning on getting pregnant and throughout my pregnancy (and hopefully will help me instill some new ones after I give birth).

I just wanted to leave this note as a positive one of someone who recently found out about their status. I've appreciated reading the hopeful responses others have left for those who have recently found out. I've also appreciated the detailed information on this site for actions one can take. It is very empowering. Thanks to all who contribute.
Brainz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 38 yo, pregnant, 4/4, optimistic

Post by Brainz »

Great attitude and terrific post. Knowledge is power!

Best to you and your growing family!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 38 yo, pregnant, 4/4, optimistic

Post by Lucy5 »

empyrean wrote: I am recently pregnant with our first child, and my husband and I decided to undergo genetic testing to understand the risks our genetic profiles might have for our child. We did 23andme, and I wasn't really intending to assess my risk for AD, that was a bit of an afterthought - I mainly was worried we were carriers for other diseases, like cystic fibrosis, etc. So I was definitely shocked to find out I am APOE 4/4.
Welcome empyrean! And congratulations on your pregnancy - what an exciting time for you and your family!

I'm also a 4/4 (a grandmother now) and want to say that I so admire your outlook. There is so much truth in what you've said about all of us having risks (known or unknown) and that we have the advantage of putting this information to good use, providing extra motivation to live a healthy lifestyle. Learning my status 8 years ago and then finding my ApoE4 family here has had such a significant impact on my lifestyle choices that I now feel very optimistic about my future, like so many of our members. You have a real advantage learning about your E4 gene so young, not to mention having already started making meaningful health choices when you first planned on getting pregnant.

As a new member, I believe you'll find our Primer, written by Stavia, also a 4/4 and practicing physician, full of excellent information and guidance that you can put to good use. Our Wiki offers additional discussion on topics of interest to our members. When you have time, you may want to browse through our How-To-Guide for tips on navigating our site more easily and effectively. I'm guessing you've already found/used our Search function found by clicking on the magnifying glass along the upper right of this page.

empyrean, please feel free to share and ask questions of the group at any time. We're always here for you. And again, sending best wishes to you and your family during this wonderful time in your lives
warmly, Lucy