Just found out 4/4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Kaydiane
New User
New User

Just found out 4/4

Post by Kaydiane »

Hi, I’ve just received my health dna results and I have Apoe 4/4. This is the first I’ve ever heard of this and figure that I have a lot to learn. Initially I thought that it just increased the chances of late onset Alzheimer’s and whilst not great news, I wasn't too worried, but, after reading a little, I think it can effect other areas of my health, a lot earlier. Also what is classed as late onset?

I’m 39. Can anyone point me in the right direction ... I’m hoping to learn as much as I can and happy to make any recommended adjustments to my lifestyle.

Confused!

Thank you
Kay
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Just found out 4/4

Post by donbob »

Welcome to the best site I have found for APOE information. As a new user, I found the wiki very informative. The three bars, in the upper right of your screen bring up the menu. Click on wiki and consider starting with 10.1, “How to get the most from ...”. I. Am sure the official greeters will be along with their usual excellent welcome. Good you found out at a young age. Your prospects seem very good in my lay opinion. Best wishes.
DonBob
e3e4
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

Kaydiane wrote:Hi, I’ve just received my health dna results and I have Apoe 4/4. This is the first I’ve ever heard of this and figure that I have a lot to learn. Initially I thought that it just increased the chances of late onset Alzheimer’s and whilst not great news, I wasn't too worried, but, after reading a little, I think it can effect other areas of my health, a lot earlier. Also what is classed as late onset?

I’m 39. Can anyone point me in the right direction ... I’m hoping to learn as much as I can and happy to make any recommended adjustments to my lifestyle.

Confused!

Thank you
Kay
Welcome to the ApoE4 community site Kay and kudos to you for proactively getting tested and taking steps to maintain and enhance your own health and wellness! You strike me as a person who approaches life with an eagerness to learn and explore, while seeing life from the “glass half full, or almost totally full! ” kind of person. Your post put a :) smile on my face! I believe you are really going to enjoy the rich information you will be able to access on this site as well as the supportive community of members. As DonBob mentioned, you’ve come to the best place to learn more about ApoE4!

Though having ApoE4 increases one's risk of late onset Alzheimer's (after age 65 or older as far as I understand it) , the good news is that our genes are not destiny, and we have the ability to turn them on and off! Luckily you have so much time on your side to make lifestyle changes to help you to lead a full, vibrant, and healthy life. You are in the right place to learn grow, gain support from the community, and chart your own healthy destiny!

Below, I’m going to share some recommended ways to get started on the site and I’m sure that other members will add as they read your post. If you haven’t already seen it, the primer is a great starting place to learn about the extensive resources available to you on the ApoE4.info site. It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele, is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the APOE-ε4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. In the primer, you’ll be able to find out more about how ApoE4 is also a risk factor for heart disease. Once you dig into the primer, you may want to also check out the thread onPrevention and Treatment to investigate more about ways to proactively take steps to prevent associated risk factors.

In addition, you may also be interested in checking out other threads on Our Stories to learn about fellow community members who are embarking on this journey, too!

So glad you are part of this community and please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions!
Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Kaydiane
New User
New User

Post by Kaydiane »

Thanks Mandy ! I have looked at the Wiki and there is a lot of info there, I will find some quiet time and research further.

Is there a particular place you would recommend to read about biomarkers.

I was very surprised with the result as we are not aware of any of our relatives suffering with Alzheimer’s, however, not many have lived past their 70’s so that could be the reason.

I think my main concern is the cardiovascular issues. My mum naturally produces bad cholesterol and I wonder if this is linked?

I also suffer with spine and knee issues which cause a lot of pain and restrict my ability to exercise so my weight is an problem. I have a lot of work to do I think to improve my chances :-)
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Kaydiane wrote:

I think my main concern is the cardiovascular issues. My mum naturally produces bad cholesterol and I wonder if this is linked?
Hi Kaydiane, It is excellent news that you are not aware of any family members who have developed Alzheimer’s. That may well indicate that as well as the ApoE4 allele, you have inherited some protective genetics .
As for your question on biomarkers, I’ll point you again towards the Primer which has a section on biomarkers. The Primer will give you an overview of the potential risks associated with the ApoE4 allele, including cardiovascular issues, and also prioritized steps for improving your chances of living a long healthy life in both body and mind. Most studies show that lifestyle choices can have a tremendous impact.
I am sorry to hear about your spine and knee pain, and the limitations those impose. You may still be able to find a way to get some exercise in a way that does not cause you pain. Where there’s a will, there is most often a way! :D
Best wishes,
Floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Kaydiane wrote:Thanks Mandy ! I have looked at the Wiki and there is a lot of info there, I will find some quiet time and research further.

I was very surprised with the result as we are not aware of any of our relatives suffering with Alzheimer’s, however, not many have lived past their 70’s so that could be the reason.

I also suffer with spine and knee issues which cause a lot of pain and restrict my ability to exercise so my weight is an problem. I have a lot of work to do I think to improve my chances :-)

Hi Kaydiane!
We are glad you have found your way to our site! I am happy to hear you understand how important is to be proactive about your health and that is never too early or too late to start.

If you are looking for a list of biomarkers, besides the PRIMER, an excellent place to find a description of diagnostic values and how they may be relevant to Apoe4 carries it the Wiki page tilted Biomarkers.
The list is long. It might seem intimidating especially for someone in the beginning of their journey but I am sure with time the information will fall into right places. In addition, you can count on our help and always post if any concerns come up.

Here is another very helpful link to the Wiki describing how to get the most of our forum.

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know if you have more questions.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline