Little freaked out, but I suppose it's normal.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
betaamyloidchick
Contributor
Contributor

Little freaked out, but I suppose it's normal.

Post by betaamyloidchick »

Hello! I'm female, 42, mum of 4. When I was 20 I was found to have high cholesterol. Got it under control with diet. In the interim, my nana died from AD. All of us who are her grandchildren have always been pretty matter of fact that we may also have that as a possibility. Fast forward to this past August where a blood test (that I requested for hereditary hemachromatosis) revealed that my cholesterol was sky high again. And now my 23andme shows that I carry one apoE4 variant..which is intrinsically linked, as I now have gathered, to the cholesterol issue. My understanding is also that a single apoE4 variant is a greater risk if you're female. So yes, knew this was a possibility for 20 years, but confirmation of risk feels like a whole different thing! Looking forward to chatting with you and reading up on all of your good information. Glad this exists.
TelopeaBlue
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Little freaked out, but I suppose it's normal.

Post by TelopeaBlue »

betaamyloidchick wrote: So yes, knew this was a possibility for 20 years, but confirmation of risk feels like a whole different thing! Looking forward to chatting with you and reading up on all of your good information. Glad this exists.
Hi and welcome. Your subject line says it all I think. It was certainly my response, and like you I had many clues (more in the nature of family cardiovascular history than dementia, but that too is associated with the ApoE4 variant) that were trying to tell me to lift my game. But it wasn't until the 23andMe results with hard confirmation - in my case 2 doses of E4 - that I actually "got the message". Lound and clear. There is a vast chasm between the idea of maybe this is my lot and the intellectual confirmation of the situation. That took me a couple of months to process and finally come to terms with the need to do something constructive.
You have found a wonderful resource here, there are hours of reading in your future. The official greeters will be around soon, to point you in the right directions, but this pinned post is an excellent place to start.
Welcome :D
betaamyloidchick
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Little freaked out, but I suppose it's normal.

TelopeaBlue wrote:
betaamyloidchick wrote: So yes, knew this was a possibility for 20 years, but confirmation of risk feels like a whole different thing! Looking forward to chatting with you and reading up on all of your good information. Glad this exists.
Hi and welcome. Your subject line says it all I think. It was certainly my response, and like you I had many clues (more in the nature of family cardiovascular history than dementia, but that too is associated with the ApoE4 variant) that were trying to tell me to lift my game. But it wasn't until the 23andMe results with hard confirmation - in my case 2 doses of E4 - that I actually "got the message". Lound and clear. There is a vast chasm between the idea of maybe this is my lot and the intellectual confirmation of the situation. That took me a couple of months to process and finally come to terms with the need to do something constructive.
You have found a wonderful resource here, there are hours of reading in your future. The official greeters will be around soon, to point you in the right directions, but this pinned post is an excellent place to start.
Welcome :D
Thanks for the welcome! I will certainly check out the pinned post right now as hopefully, it will distract from the vile taste of this first cup of coconut oil/turmeric concoction... So! To your health and bottoms up!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Flo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Flo »

betaamyloidchick wrote:Hello! I'm female, 42, mum of 4. When I was 20 I was found to have high cholesterol. Got it under control with diet. In the interim, my nana died from AD. All of us who are her grandchildren have always been pretty matter of fact that we may also have that as a possibility. Fast forward to this past August where a blood test (that I requested for hereditary hemachromatosis) revealed that my cholesterol was sky high again. And now my 23andme shows that I carry one apoE4 variant..which is intrinsically linked, as I now have gathered, to the cholesterol issue. My understanding is also that a single apoE4 variant is a greater risk if you're female. So yes, knew this was a possibility for 20 years, but confirmation of risk feels like a whole different thing! Looking forward to chatting with you and reading up on all of your good information. Glad this exists.
Welcome to our community betaamyloidchick!

You're right, it's completely normal to be freaked out by something like this, even if at the back of your mind, you sort of knew this might be a possibility - that knowledge doesn't make it any easier to cope with! But knowledge is power and what better place to come to learn more than here! Research has come a long way in the last 20 years and hope is in the air. You might find our primer is a great place to start in that respect.

And the best bit of your story is that you've managed once already to get you cholesterol under control, which means you have the tools to know how to do it again! You've got this.

Flo
betaamyloidchick
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Little freaked out, but I suppose it's normal.

Flo wrote:
betaamyloidchick wrote:Hello! I'm female, 42, mum of 4. When I was 20 I was found to have high cholesterol. Got it under control with diet. In the interim, my nana died from AD. All of us who are her grandchildren have always been pretty matter of fact that we may also have that as a possibility. Fast forward to this past August where a blood test (that I requested for hereditary hemachromatosis) revealed that my cholesterol was sky high again. And now my 23andme shows that I carry one apoE4 variant..which is intrinsically linked, as I now have gathered, to the cholesterol issue. My understanding is also that a single apoE4 variant is a greater risk if you're female. So yes, knew this was a possibility for 20 years, but confirmation of risk feels like a whole different thing! Looking forward to chatting with you and reading up on all of your good information. Glad this exists.
Welcome to our community betaamyloidchick!

You're right, it's completely normal to be freaked out by something like this, even if at the back of your mind, you sort of knew this might be a possibility - that knowledge doesn't make it any easier to cope with! But knowledge is power and what better place to come to learn more than here! Research has come a long way in the last 20 years and hope is in the air. You might find our primer is a great place to start in that respect.

And the best bit of your story is that you've managed once already to get you cholesterol under control, which means you have the tools to know how to do it again! You've got this.

Flo
Thank you! I will check it out!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Totally normal. Sounds like you are using the information to improve your health overall. That's the good part of this wild ride.