Letter to my father

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Letter to my father

Post by donbob »

Richard,
Thank you for this powerful and evocative post.

My maternal grandfather and four of his six children died in the fog of dementia. I knew them all. My mother, still alive at 96, has been on the same journey. My brother lives far away, so the privilege of caring for her has been mine in the 20 years since my dad passed. Currently, she is finishing her fourth year with 24 hour/day care. I do 13 hours/day and a care giver takes the other 11. The 80 caregiver hours per week is split between two people. Both of whom have been with mother more than three years. Finding them was a God send.

Once she reached the point where I could get her on a low carb, robust protein, healthy fat diet, her condition has stabilized. Four years, little change. The damage to her mind is too great to reverse. But these last four years, she has overcome a broken hip, double pneumonia(five months on hospice) and a mini stroke that robbed her speech. When the grandchildren bring her great grandchildren(15 to date) she smiles broadly. We have priceless pictures of her holding the babies and just beaming. This is my reward.

I am KETO and my two sons families are benefiting from low carb. By volunteering for the, now cancelled, Generations Study, I found my brain beta-amyloid plaque levels are elevated. So my battle is joined. Many like you, Richard, will find the key to turning the tide. Many like me are giving it our best. Succeed or fail, my wife, children, nieces and nephews know I am not going into the fog without a battle. My example is their opportunity.
DonBob
e3e4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Richard wrote: My link with you today is that I was diagnosed with early Alzheimer’s Disease a year ago. There I said it. Alzheimer’s’ Disease! Dementia. Neurocognitive disease. I had a genetic test which indicated that I had the APOE3 and APOE4 allenes. In common parlance I have both the early, and the late, onset Alzheimer’s Disease gene.
Beautiful Story Richard. I think you are mistaken about Early Onset Alzheimer's - that usually happens in the 40s and 50s. APOE4 is correlated with Alzheimer's, but APOE3 is NOT associated with Early onset. From what I read the genes involved in that are
Early-onset Alzheimer's that runs in families is linked to three genes — the APP, PSEN 1 and PSEN 2 — that differ from the APOE gene that can increase your risk of Alzheimer's in general.
I'm guessing other issues are causing the earlier than normal symptoms, and likely following Bredesen will help. If you are eating much added sugar and/or high fructose syrup, try to cut them out.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Richard, thank you for sharing your heartfelt, beautifully written letter to your father.

I hope you do write a book about your journey of reversing cognitive decline. If you decide to write a memoir, I’d be happy to point you to resources I’ve found extraordinarily helpful. I’m writing my first memoir and plan to write more. This first one goes far back into my past, but a later one might cover my journey to prevent Alzheimer’s.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

TheBrain wrote:I’m writing my first memoir and plan to write more.
Oh, I love the idea of writing memoirs! What a gift to your family and others in world. Can I get a signed copy when it comes out?
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

SusanJ wrote:
TheBrain wrote:I’m writing my first memoir and plan to write more.
Oh, I love the idea of writing memoirs! What a gift to your family and others in world. Can I get a signed copy when it comes out?
Absolutely, Susan!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

:D :D :D