What does this mean?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
katykitten
New User
New User

What does this mean?

Post by katykitten »

Hi everyone, my father had vascular dementia so I decided to get tested for Alzheimer’s with 23andme.
My result shows that I have a 30% chance of getting this after the age of 80 but I thought at that age everyone had an increased risk?
HopefulCaroline
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What does this mean?

Post by HopefulCaroline »

Hi Katykitten,

Welcome to Apoe4.info! You have come to a special community of people similar to you who are looking to assess, understand and minimize their ultimate risk of an ApoE4 diagnosis. There is tremendous information on the site. The Wiki and Primer are great places to start. It is not clear from your post what your exact ApoE status is. I know from my own experience that the 23andme reports can be confusing especially as it relates to quantifiable and probable odds of developing a wide number of conditions. In fact, I have seen great variability in published odds in general so would be hesitant to accept what you have read as the final word. There are so many factors that come into play in the field of epigenetics and so much we still have to learn! Hopefully you will be inspired by the stories of others on this site and perhaps find greater clarity from the collective knowledge found here.

Warmly,
Caroline
Caroline
ApoE4.info Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
“What grows never grows old.” -Noah Benshea
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Re: What does this mean?

Post by Sara »

katykitten wrote:Hi everyone, my father had vascular dementia so I decided to get tested for Alzheimer’s with 23andme.
My result shows that I have a 30% chance of getting this after the age of 80 but I thought at that age everyone had an increased risk?
Hi Katykitten and welcome to the apoe4.info site! I am a bit of a numbers person so when I see a post like yours I like to flip the numbers... so, based on having a 30% chance of vascular dementia after the age of 80 you could alternately state that you have a 70% chance of not getting this disease after the age of 80 and those are pretty good odds! We would love to learn more about you so if you are so inclined please go to Our Stories and tell us more. Warm Regard, Sara
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD