Hi, new 3/4, and a question

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jayne
New User
New User

Hi, new 3/4, and a question

Post by Jayne »

Hi. Just discovered my 3/4 genes on Promethease, and am glad to have found this very informative forum.

My question is that when I checked my daughter’s Promethease there is nothing listed for apoe. I thought that everyone has two? Would they be listed as something else please, does anyone know?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Hi, new 3/4, and a question

Post by floramaria »

Jayne wrote:Hi. Just discovered my 3/4 genes on Promethease, and am glad to have found this very informative forum.

My question is that when I checked my daughter’s Promethease there is nothing listed for apoe. I thought that everyone has two? Would they be listed as something else please, does anyone know?
Yes, Jayne, everyone has two. Strange that nothing is listed for your daughter’s ApoE alleles.
Where is the original data from that you ran through Promethease? Same place as yours?
Only suggestion I have is to try entering “ ApoE”into the search function on Promethease if you haven’t tried that already.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Jayne wrote:Hi. Just discovered my 3/4 genes on Promethease, and am glad to have found this very informative forum.

Hi Jayne,

A couple of possibilities: The first might be that you only ordered the Ancestry test from 23&me, and not Ancestry+Health, which includes ApoE status. I believe that 23 & me will let you "upgrade" to include the Health reports at a small cost, if that's the case.

You can go to your daughter's 23&me report page and click on the tab for REPORTS. If you hover over or click on it, you should be able to see which reports are available to you. You can also hover over her name and click on Browse Raw Data. That will take you to a page with a graph of your chromosomes and a box in which you can enter the following two SNPS, one at a time: rs429358 and rs7412. These are referred to as SNPs, which represent variations in your DNA. Once you look up your values for these SNPs, go to snpedia to help you interpret what your results mean. (Or post it here for some help.)

It may be that Promethease didn't highlight ApoE 4 since your daughter is ApoE 3/3, which is considered to not confer any additional risk of Alzheimer's. (That doesn't mean "no risk"; it simply means that ApoE 3/3 is the standard for a "baseline" risk.)
If you didn't scroll all the way to the end of the many reports they offer, it may still be hiding there somewhere! They organize their results by level of significance (good or bad). If you type in "ApoE" into the search box at the top of the report area on Promethease, any information may show up. You could also type in "Alzheimer's" and that should also pull up any reports.

Fair warning: Promethease also may have reports on other SNPs that have been linked to risk (increased or decreased) for Alzheimer's in sometimes small studies. Many of these SNPS are assumed to have a small difference, so take them with a grain of salt.

BUT: Before you do any of that, you may want to read this on Thinking about Testing?. It's important to think about what this information will mean to you, your daughter and her feelings about being empowered by the knowledge of possible, but by no means definite, increased risk. One possibility, depending on her age, would be to ask her if she would want to know about any genes she has that might may it more or less likely that she could be at risk for various diseases. It's also good to be prepared that people of any age may think they want this information, then be deeply troubled by it. For someone your daughter's age, if she is living a healthy life, it may be fine to wait until she decides for herself in the future to test and find out this information.
From a 4/4 healthy 67 year old with three healthy 3/4 adult children, my hopes that you feel encouraged by what you find here and elsewhere.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Welcome Jayne,

NF52 made a good point maybe your daughters results included only Ancestry information.
As she mentioned, you can probably upgrade your package and receive needed data.

I am super happy that you find our forum hopeful and informative. You are right there is a ton of information on apoe4.info.
To help you navigate the site, I would like to point you to the Wiki page which contains tips on How to make the most out of the forum.

Also, if you have not found it the PRIMER is an excellent resource for all the members who are seeking detailed, but easy to digest, information on the science behind the APOE4 allele. The Primer also contains plenty of tips on life style modifications, prevention strategies, important laboratory values, and diet suggestions you may find interesting and helpful when deciding on the course of action you choose for yourself and loved once.

If at any point of your journey more questions and concerns arise please do not hesitate to post.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Jayne
New User
New User

Post by Jayne »

Thank you so much everyone, for your help. I think I know now what has happened. My data was from 23andMe so it included health data, but my daughter did hers at ancestry.com, which of course is ancestry only. So that explains it! I feel very silly now lol but thank you for helping me get to the bottom of the mystery! Mind you, there is some health stuff on her Promethease but I guess not as much, so the apoe genes are not covered. I completely forgot she did a different test from me in the first place!

Thanks for the links too - I will do some more reading xx