If you use a device running an Android version prior to 7.1.1, beginning January 11 your access from that device to this site and many others will be impaired. For details and solutions, see this topic.

What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:17 am

What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Postby Vikingman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:39 pm

I read over 125 books last year on Positive Thinking and New Age stuff. Now that I have discovered that I have the e4/e4 in October 2019 I guess I get a chance to put into practice what I read last year.

I desire to read the top 10 books on Alzheimer's Disease. Any suggestions? I ordered Dale Bredesen's book, "The End of Alzheimer's" and Gundy's book the "Longevity Paradox".


These books listed below showed up on my Amazon search but not sure if they are good ones. Any suggestions are appreciated.

"The Alzheimer's Antidote" by Amy Berger
"Fighting for my Life: How to Thrive in the Shadow by Alzheimer's." - Jamie TenNapel Tyrone
"The Alzheimer's Solution" by Dean Sherzai

User avatar
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Postby Jmac » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:41 am

Vikingman wrote:I desire to read the top 10 books on Alzheimer's Disease. Any suggestions? I ordered Dale Bredesen's book, "The End of Alzheimer's" and Gundy's book the "Longevity Paradox".


These books listed below showed up on my Amazon search but not sure if they are good ones. Any suggestions are appreciated.

"The Alzheimer's Antidote" by Amy Berger
"Fighting for my Life: How to Thrive in the Shadow by Alzheimer's." - Jamie TenNapel Tyrone
"The Alzheimer's Solution" by Dean Sherzai


I am a readaholic --- always have 2 or 3 books going, I keep the Bredesen book on hand, refer to it, loan it out & miss it while it's gone, etc. I started the Berger & Sherzai books. I didn't finish them although did scan through. I checked out a stack of Alzheimer's related books at the library, had to have some brought in from other libraries. Didn't finish any of them. Some are rehashes or variations on the others, some I dismissed as they were outdated or the info didn't match up with what I've been seeing on here or getting via Google alerts. Some were flat out depressing :-).

I have subscribed to youtube vids & podcasts by a wide variety of health experts (some just want to be experts :-)) --- listen to them while in the studio or while working around the house, working out at the gym. Lots of good current info, jumping off points to do research or even sometimes buy a book.

I bought Matthew Walker's book "Why We Sleep", David Sinclair's book "Lifespan: Why we age", and am now reading a kind of different book, bit off the beaten path maybe, "Super Human" by Dave Asprey (Bulletproof Coffee fame). While all different slants, they have great info on AD, ways to combat. I use Bredesen as the "gold standard" and compare the info in anything else to his Protocol, see if worth adding or doing any of the things. Course, I always do a ton of research before adding or changing anything. S

Good luck! I'm going to follow this thread and hope others will chime in as I'd love to find some really good books!

User avatar
TheresaB
Mod
Mod
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:46 am
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Postby TheresaB » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 am

Not exactly an Alzheimer's book, but Dave Asprey wrote a book, "Head Strong" to share how he "hacked" his body to overcome the lack of focus, forgetfullness, and fogginess he was experiencing. It's a how-to for others with the same issues.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4

Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:17 am

Re: What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Postby Vikingman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:46 am

Jmac.....I was reading the books "Super Human", "Lifespan" and "Why We Sleep" before I found out about my 4/4 a couple of weeks ago. . So much good information out there. I am being lead to Mark Hyman now for some reason. I will see if he has anything good. Theresa I also have "Head Strong" but have not read it yet. I need to finish the Bredesen book this week too. Seems like the gold standard with the latest info.

Right now just working on my diet and finding out what takes away my joint stiffness in the morning. This is going to be a challenging and fun process over the next while I believe. Finding out so much new information on longevity and health now I just have to apply it.

User avatar
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Postby Jmac » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:58 am

Vikingman wrote:Jmac.....I was reading the books "Super Human", "Lifespan" and "Why We Sleep" before I found out about my 4/4 a couple of weeks ago. . So much good information out there. ... Finding out so much new information on longevity and health now I just have to apply it.


It can get overwhelming. Especially when some of the info is contradictory. I subscribe on YouTube to Mark Hyman, Rhonda Patrick (Found My Fitness), London Reel (he has a variety of health types on mixed in with others that rarely interest me), Chris Masterjohn (talks over my head a lot but I learn a lot, sends me on investigative searches), David Perlmutter and a number of others. I like Peter Attia's podcasts & interviews but I'm not a paid subscriber and miss some of the good stuff.

This page has a list of things from the Bredesen Protocol that made it easier for me when it came to tests, info. Mainly wanted the list of tests but the rest is good: https://mybiohack.com/blog/dale-bredesen-protocol-recode-alzheimers-mend

User avatar
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: Georgia, USA

Re: What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Postby Jmac » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:01 am

TheresaB wrote:Not exactly an Alzheimer's book, but Dave Asprey wrote a book, "Head Strong" to share how he "hacked" his body to overcome the lack of focus, forgetfullness, and fogginess he was experiencing. It's a how-to for others with the same issues.


Be sure to read Super Human! I'm going to see if I can check Head Strong out of the library. They didn't have Super Human so I bought it. I've been incorporating things from it into my life. Working on deciding which blue blocker glasses to get...I have prescription blue blockers for the computer but gather they aren't the best per his book. Working on improving my sleep and that's about the only thing left that might help.

ellenjanemccallum
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:03 am

Re: What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Postby ellenjanemccallum » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:29 am

For a different perspective Dementia from the inside by Jennifer Bute is a beautiful read. A GP who self diagnosed her early onset dementia and the positive impact it has had on her life. There is a great interview with her on the BBC if you can access it.

Inga
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Re: What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Postby Inga » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:32 am

Hi there new friends. I discovered in June that I carry not one, but two copies of the ApoE4 Variant. And it was a 45 min online lecture from Amy Berger that sent me strait to the MCT oil at 1 a.m. as the message hit home. And it is Amy Berger's site Tuit Nutrition that led me to you. While I have not read her book (feel I don't need to after the lecture), I would definitely speak to her credibility as an author and a thinker. Wishing everyone a beautiful, and memorable day. ! :) Inga

Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:17 am

Re: What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Postby Vikingman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:53 am

Inga wrote:Hi there new friends. I discovered in June that I carry not one, but two copies of the ApoE4 Variant. And it was a 45 min online lecture from Amy Berger that sent me strait to the MCT oil at 1 a.m. as the message hit home. And it is Amy Berger's site Tuit Nutrition that led me to you. While I have not read her book (feel I don't need to after the lecture), I would definitely speak to her credibility as an author and a thinker. Wishing everyone a beautiful, and memorable day. ! :) Inga



Inga,

I went straight for MCT Oil too but I think it is only for single allele 4's. My tyro understanding is that we double 4's must avoid MCT Oil as well as coconut oil and exogenous ketones. I have also heard that Triglyceride Forms of Omega 3's are not that helpful for 4/4's but are for single 4 folks. We 4/4's need phospholipid forms of Omega 3's.

Greg
4/4

Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:17 am

Re: What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Postby Vikingman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:56 am

Jmac wrote:
Vikingman wrote:Jmac.....I was reading the books "Super Human", "Lifespan" and "Why We Sleep" before I found out about my 4/4 a couple of weeks ago. . So much good information out there. ... Finding out so much new information on longevity and health now I just have to apply it.


It can get overwhelming. Especially when some of the info is contradictory. I subscribe on YouTube to Mark Hyman, Rhonda Patrick (Found My Fitness), London Reel (he has a variety of health types on mixed in with others that rarely interest me), Chris Masterjohn (talks over my head a lot but I learn a lot, sends me on investigative searches), David Perlmutter and a number of others. I like Peter Attia's podcasts & interviews but I'm not a paid subscriber and miss some of the good stuff.

This page has a list of things from the Bredesen Protocol that made it easier for me when it came to tests, info. Mainly wanted the list of tests but the rest is good: https://mybiohack.com/blog/dale-bredesen-protocol-recode-alzheimers-mend



Jmac,

These are great resources. I am heading to Youtube to check them out!

(I went to biohack.com and the bredesen biomarker test was $8,425.00 which seems high to me. )

Greg
4/4


Return to “Our Stories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

 

 

cron