What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What are the Top 10 Books on APOE E4 and Alzheimers

Post by Jmac »

Vikingman wrote: (I went to biohack.com and the bredesen biomarker test was $8,425.00 which seems high to me. )
Wow --- that IS high! Bredesen does it for a lot less. I gave my doc the link and she did the majority of the tests for my mother, who is in early stages...insurance covered most. If you can find a doc who is open to the idea that's the way to go! I'm pretty the doc wouldn't have felt comfortable doing them for me as I'm working on prevention, but she did do a ton of tests for me that are on the list. And I'll slide in a few more on my next visit :-)
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Vikingman wrote: (I went to biohack.com and the bredesen biomarker test was $8,425.00 which seems high to me. )
I'm not sure that AHNP (now Apollo Health) does ALL the biomarkers mentioned in Dr Bredesen's book. Last I heard, they had 2 levels of testing with two different price points. There are direct to consumer companies that have "cognitive" or "brain health" panels. We all have to take a careful look at what tests are included in everyone's packages. Many of us decide to do testing in stages, based on our preferences and suspected "issues."
Slacker
E4/E4
PJD@4411
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PJD@4411 »

Inga wrote:Hi there new friends. I discovered in June that I carry not one, but two copies of the ApoE4 Variant. And it was a 45 min online lecture from Amy Berger that sent me strait to the MCT oil at 1 a.m. as the message hit home. And it is Amy Berger's site Tuit Nutrition that led me to you. While I have not read her book (feel I don't need to after the lecture), I would definitely speak to her credibility as an author and a thinker. Wishing everyone a beautiful, and memorable day. ! :) Inga
Hi Inga!
Welcome to the forum! We are so happy you have joined this supportive community. We would love to get to know you better, you can tell us more about you and share your story here to connect with others.

Thank you for sharing the information about MCT oil and Amy Berger. I look forward to researching and learning more about this and Tuit Nutrition. I am a true believer that food is medicine.

This site is loaded with information and a good way to get started is by reviewing the Welcome, Primer, and Wikki pages.

Again, welcome and please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.
PJ
Think Positive Be Positive
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Inga wrote: And it was a 45 min online lecture from Amy Berger that sent me strait to the MCT oil at 1 a.m. as the message hit home.
Hi Inga;

There are strong opinions for and against MCT for E4s (singles and doubles). This is something we call N=1; each of us is running our own experiment with one study subject. What works for one person does not work for another. This wiki article on the subject may be of interest to you to look at pros and cons.
Slacker
E4/E4
Inga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inga »

Thankyou everyone for your feedback. I'm reading like crazy. Thanks Greg for the Omega 3 tip on Krill and it's specificity to us TWObees. I've been reading this also--the need to not have the inflammation of Omega 6's. And thankyou for the tip for info "slacker". I appreciate it all. Sincerely, Inga
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

Inga,

I am new also so we can learn together. So much information on good healthy stuff out there. It is very exciting to find out how to maximize our health according to our N=1 Optimal levels. It is definitely a little overwhelming at first. After learning I had the 4/4, It took me 3 weeks before I was not so stressed. Feeling better now, eating great, moving forward, learning and growing! My lifestyle is getting a huge boost into the healthy stratosphere now. We do all we can do and let hour fellow 44's and scientist and Universe do the rest. :)
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

Vikingman wrote:I read over 125 books last year on Positive Thinking and New Age stuff. Now that I have discovered that I have the e4/e4 in October 2019 I guess I get a chance to put into practice what I read last year.

I desire to read the top 10 books on Alzheimer's Disease. Any suggestions? I ordered Dale Bredesen's book, "The End of Alzheimer's" and Gundy's book the "Longevity Paradox".

These books listed below showed up on my Amazon search but not sure if they are good ones. Any suggestions are appreciated.

"The Alzheimer's Antidote" by Amy Berger
"Fighting for my Life: How to Thrive in the Shadow by Alzheimer's." - Jamie TenNapel Tyrone
"The Alzheimer's Solution" by Dean Sherzai
Hi Vikingman! Many good books have been mentioned so far. I wanted to offer the text, "Positive Psychology Approaches to Dementia" it's an edited compilation of academic research and clinical research around positive psychology's impact on the well-being of people experiencing dementia." The topics/research is interesting and encouraging and remind me of some of the unexpected, hidden blessings- humor, joy, connectedness- I observed in my grandmother during and in spite of her cognitive decline. Some chapters are denser than others because of the academic language and theories being explored.

Though not about Alzheimer's or ApoE4 status, "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD (Harvard trained brain scientist) is a great read about her her own observation of and recovery after having a massive stroke. It helped me better understand both hemispheres of the brain, their function, and the differences between them. It is brief and easy, yet interesting read.

Best, Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

Mandy,

Those seem to be books outside the beaten path that could be very illuminating. Thank you. I just ordered a New York Times bestseller today called, "Genius Foods" by Max Lugavere. Looks very interesting. I just searched on site and most have spoken highly of it.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

Just started reading "Fighting for My Life" by Jamie Tyrone and Dr. Marwan Sabbagh. Reading chapters on nutrition and exercise first.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

Just bought Dr. Rudy Tanzi's books "Super Brain" and "Super Genes" .