Hi, I'm new (Introduction)

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
kepherax
New User
New User

Hi, I'm new (Introduction)

Post by kepherax »

Hi, nice to meet you all. I'm female, 36, and found out I had 2 copies of the e4 variant in the APOE gene after a genetic test. My dad died after a long bought with dementia, and both of my grandfather's had some kind of major cognitive issues before dying in their 70s (I do not know what, my family and I are not very close and they died before I was born), so it makes sense. My grandmothers lived to be in their 90s and were sharp from what I've heard, so that gives me a bit of hope being female even though there may not be a correlation.

This whole thing terrifies me... I like my brain most of the time, and have a fear of not being able to control my thought patterns (I also have PTSD and anxiety), so I have been trying to do what I can on top of already trying to stay healthy and sane.

I've been avoiding sugar for years and my SO and I count calories and try to eat healthy (high protein, lean meats, whole foods, high fiber) 99% of the time.
I quit smoking 2 years ago and switched to vaping, working on getting nicotine down to 0, currently down to 6mg from 18mg at the beginning of quitting.
I started seriously exercising this year - swimming, cycling, or circuits 3-5x a week. My weight and BMI have always been fine (am 5'3" 107 lbs), am rectangular shaped and working on waist to hip ratio, though, and trying to build muscle.
I'm working on a graduate degree in computational physics, so the "challenging yourself mentally" aspect is definitely being hit. I am also learning the theremin, read often, and am generally not happy if I am not in the process of learning something.

I take the following supplements, not all for Alzheimer's prevention:

3x the dose of super B complex with vitamin C
15,000IU vitamin D3 (seems high but am prone to deficiency)
Bacopa Monnieri - 640mg leaf extract 50% bacosides, 560mg leaf powder
700mg Milk Thistle (got rid of hormonal acne among other benefits)
1800mg Lion's Mane
10,000mcg Biotin
EPA 720mg DHA 480mg
315mg Green Tea Extract
2000mg Garlic
100mg CoEQ10
Acetyl-L-Carnitine 800mg with Alpha Lipoic Acid 400mg

I recently added Huperzine-A (200mcg/day) but have been have a bad time with the vivid dream side effect triggering my PTSD and preventing me from feeling rested. I just switched to taking it in the morning with vitamin D3 instead of in the evening with everything else and am hoping this helps, but it may end up in the discard pile if it keeps making my anxiety worse. Has anyone else had issues with this supplement?
Flo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hi, I'm new (Introduction)

Post by Flo »

kepherax wrote:I'm working on a graduate degree in computational physics, so the "challenging yourself mentally" aspect is definitely being hit. I am also learning the theremin, read often, and am generally not happy if I am not in the process of learning something.
Welcome to the tribe, kepherax!
I understand this must all be terrifying for you - yet you have already put so much in place and are taking great strides improving all aspects of your health it seems! It must be that love of learning character strength of yours which has keeping you in good stead. Very inspiring!
As you love learning, I will point you in the direction of the primer, which has been written by a member physician. In addition, there are lots of tips on how to use the website in the how-to guide, should you ever need it.
Please don't hesitate to ask should you have any questions - I'm afraid I can't help with your supplement query but hopefully there's someone out there who can!
Warmly,
Flo
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Hi, I'm new (Introduction)

Post by NF52 »

kepherax wrote:Hi, nice to meet you all. I'm female, 36, and found out I had 2 copies of the e4 variant in the APOE gene after a genetic test...
This whole thing terrifies me... I like my brain most of the time, and have a fear of not being able to control my thought patterns (I also have PTSD and anxiety), so I have been trying to do what I can on top of already trying to stay healthy and sane...
I'm working on a graduate degree in computational physics... and am generally not happy if I am not in the process of learning something....
A warm welcome, kepherax, from someone who finds even the concept of "computational physics" mind-bogglingly impressive. I am also ApoE 4/4 and am doing just fine cognitively at age 67. After a challenging career, I too decided I needed some more high-level learning and earned a second Master's degree in a challenging program (for fun and for my brain) at age 57. So I am totally in synch with you on the "generally not happy if I am not learning something."

In line with your desire to learn, here's a few suggestions:
First: Consider our Health Coach Intern Flo's suggestion to read the Primer. The author is, like you, an inveterate learner, a practicing family physician in a busy, diverse practice who managed to share everything essential to know about ApoE 4--since she is also ApoE 4/4.

Second: if it won't take you down too many rabbit holes, consider a literature search for relevant topics on ApoE 4, since your university will probably allow you access to pay-walled articles. Some may spark some interest. Here's an example: A 2014 article about analysis of a well-validated, long-studied population (the age of your grandparents) near the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota:
For APOE4 carriers with high lifetime intellectual enrichment (75th percentile of education/occupation score and midlife to late-life cognitive activity), the onset of cognitive impairment was approximately 8.7 years later compared with low lifetime intellectual enrichment (25th percentile of education/occupation score and mid/late-life cognitive activity).
Association of lifetime intellectual enrichment with cognitive decline in the older population.
-
Third: You may even decide to consider finding a role as a computational physicist in the field of dementia research. Of course, I would like to see women physicists in any field, but can't help but share two examples that may be aligned to work you are doing, or learning:

New computational tool could help optimize treatment of Alzheimer's disease

A physics-based model explains the prion-like features of neurodegeneration in Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis

I've been able to meet some wonderful scientists in the field who are in their 30's as a consumer reviewer on research funded through the DOD. All are recipients of NIH and other grants themselves, and most are in their 30's and have a family connection to Alzheimer's. And all are optimistic that in an extraordinarily complex field, with a "disease" that is probably often called Alzheimer's when it is something else (vascular dementia, Lewy Body dementia, mixed dementia), technology, new imaging, machine learning and sophisticated statistical modeling are finally providing much better understandings of mechanisms of pathology, epidemiology, pre-disease risk factors, and most of all, prevention models for lifestyle and intervention after injury and illness.

So plan to live an exciting, purposeful, learning-rich life. You've got this!
4/4 and still an optimist!