Labs question

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
nmhntz22
Contributor
Contributor

Labs question

Post by nmhntz22 »

So 54YO male. 1 apoe4 allele.E3/E4 to be exact. Lots of labs and lost as to what diet to follow. Been doing extremely low carb, close to carnivore diet. CMP is normal for everything. CBC + DIFF all normal. Cardiac calcium score 90.
NMR Lipoprofile
LDL particle number 2754 H. LDL cholesterol 236 H. HDL 69. Triglycerides 87. Total cholesterol 322. Small LDL-P 954 H. LDL size 21.4 note says small LDL-P and LDL sie are associated with CVD risk but not after taking LDL-P into account?
CRP, high sensitivity is 0.047 . Under 0.1 is low CVD risk.
so my TC:HDL Ratio is 4.85. Standard is less than 5.10.
LDL:HDL ratio is 3.64. Standard is less than 2.54.
So I would like to remain low carb/keto/carnivore but having APOE4 I need to NOT consume saturated fat and animal products? I need to eat fish, broccoli, cauliflower, nuts, seeds? Are there other tests I should have done to check for IR for example?
Not taking a statin and apparently they wont work if APOE4 anyway?
No fish oil? apparently that doesn't help APOE4 people due to its not in phospholipid form so have to use krill oil?
thank you.
Flo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Labs question

Post by Flo »

nmhntz22 wrote:Lots of labs and lost as to what diet to follow.
Dear nmhntz22,

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I understand your confusion as to which diet to follow, there's so much out there, sometimes contradictory that it's hard to know whether we are making the right choices or not!

There's a brilliant piece on diet written as part of the primer which focuses on eating a healthy diets with heaps of micronutrients, which you might find useful. I don't think we can go wrong by eating real, quality food with plenty of color.

If you need help on how to make the most of the site, the wiki is a great resource, and also includes information on the keto diet, cholesterol and lipids.

I hope all this helps you come to the right solution for you!

Warmly
Flo
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

nmhntz22 wrote:So 54YO male. 1 apoe4 allele.E3/E4 to be exact. Lots of labs and lost as to what diet to follow. Been doing extremely low carb, close to carnivore diet.
There is little agreement here about diets. I'm also doing close to a carnivore diet for 4 years. I'm almost 60, and I've had diabetes for 20 years. Just had a new MRI done and a baseline exam for AD. I was told that I had a 40 year old brain. I think the most critical thing about the diet is to be low carb.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
nmhntz22
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nmhntz22 »

That’s awesome. Research I’ve seen says no animal products if apoe4. Want monounsaturated fats no saturated fat. Even chicken is out from what I’ve seen multiple sites. But bacon is ok since it is 50% monounsaturated fat ? Calcium score of 90 at age 54 is concerning to me.
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robhypno »

I agree with Mike. Low carb is the common denominator in diet health

Hard core Keto here past year and eat all proteins and natural fats including dairy. Stopped analysing saturated fat intake etc after regular blood work so far has been excellent. In fact improved a great deal
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robhypno »

Regular fasting I should also mention, 16-8 every day
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Diet "Research" has been mostly garbage over the years, so why start trusting it now? ApoE4 is the original, and back then our brains were already large and our intestines small, which means we were primarily meat eaters from way back. Abundant, year round Carbs were not added to the diet until much later, and E3 may've been a response to that. Dairy is a different adaptation (not ApoE related), some have it, some don't. I seem to get along with dairy, so I consume dairy on top of carnivore. I also eat low carb veggies.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I love this take on ancient diets from Will Bulsiewicz, MD:

"Cavemen lived to an average of twenty eight years old. Do we really want this to be our role model for health and fitness?"
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Yes, but the same could be said for the Greeks and Romans... Here is a nice article that discusses life expectancy through time.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/longevit ... ry-2224054
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

mike wrote:Diet "Research" has been mostly garbage over the years, so why start trusting it now? ApoE4 is the original, and back then our brains were already large and our intestines small, which means we were primarily meat eaters from way back. Abundant, year round Carbs were not added to the diet until much later, and E3 may've been a response to that. Dairy is a different adaptation (not ApoE related), some have it, some don't. I seem to get along with dairy, so I consume dairy on top of carnivore. I also eat low carb veggies.
Watching youtube videos earlier today, I noticed that Dr. Gundry left me with the impression that red meat is bad for 4s. He talks about the "Nigerian Paradox", and about how despite the 4 status it is a relatively low rate of AD. He mentions that meat is consumed far less than America.

He also mentions that he thinks that E3 developed to deal with consumption of meat. He thinks 4s are better with out it, and then he talks about how the great apes are still "homozygous 4s and don't eat meat".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfr9RPq0HFg

I thought I heard Dr. Bredesen mention in a different youtube that he thinks humans evolved with the 4s once becoming hominids and leaving the trees to eat raw meat and deal with the germs that came along with it.

Seems like I come across some contradictions in my research. But at least we are all trying!
As E4 s, we are inherent fighters and don't give up so easily.