Labs question

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Labs question

Post by mike »

Nikki2019 wrote:Watching youtube videos earlier today, I noticed that Dr. Gundry left me with the impression that red meat is bad for 4s.
Dr Gundry seems to have changed his tune lately - I listened to him this weekend on Morning Joe, where he talks about his book "The Plant Paradox," and he talks about how plants will defend itself by producing lectins. He says to stay away from those, but he says it is okay to have a grass-fed hamburger without the bun. He said turkey is okay, but prefers pasture raised.

He also mentions that he thinks that E3 developed to deal with consumption of meat.
The evolution of early man has long been an interest of mine. Current research suggest man had control of fire at least 600,000 years ago. It is fire/cooking that allows better utilization of meat. Early man developed larger brains and smaller intestines way before E3 came along, also suggesting that meat was a large part of their diet. What is interesting to me, is that underground tubers in Africa all evolved to be poisonous to man, while in the new world where there was no early man, they did not evolve that way. Very early man found they could eat tubers and over harvested them to the point that only those that could evolve to be toxic survived. It is my belief that E3 is in response to later early man discovering that if you soak the tuber for 24 hours and then cook it, it is no longer toxic. These tubers become the first year-round carbs these people had, and gave man a steady food supply. It will be interesting to see when they have done more research into what early man ate - and at what point carbs became a more prominent part of their diet.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

Thanks Mike, for the clip. Gundry does continue to advocate for the olive oil. He did mention in the youtube from a couple years back that the Nigerians were not eating the same type of grain we eat here. I have heard him say cheese bad, and I am your typical 4 that loves cheese. But, I thought everyone does, even 2s.

Sorry to go off original question here, as it is confusing to sort out what is best to eat for E4s.

I need to brag now. I did 16 IF, went running, weight lifting class and sauna and now I am eating spinach with EVOO. By the way, in that youtube clip, Gundry mentions how he thought its bad that a 4 ate a burger and then went to cross fit. I wonder if body pump class at 24 hour fitness is also something he would consider not good for 4's. Just wondering....
As E4 s, we are inherent fighters and don't give up so easily.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Nikki2019 wrote:Thanks Mike, for the clip. Gundry does continue to advocate for the olive oil. He did mention in the youtube from a couple years back that the Nigerians were not eating the same type of grain we eat here. I have heard him say cheese bad, and I am your typical 4 that loves cheese. But, I thought everyone does, even 2s.

I supplement with EVOO, but I also think dairy should be considered on a case-by-case basis. I seem to do fine with dairy, so use it. I don't drink straight milk because of the sugars. I make kefir with milk, which converts most of the sugars. I also eat lots of cheese, but choose better quality, usually European because of their more strict guidelines. Same for butter. I mix the kefir with high-grade whey protein. I put heavy cream in my coffee. This is working for me. Other folks here choose different diets. Listening to all the "experts" will often lead to conflicting advice. You need to experiment to see what works best for you.
I need to brag now. I did 16 IF, went running, weight lifting class and sauna and now I am eating spinach with EVOO. By the way, in that youtube clip, Gundry mentions how he thought its bad that a 4 ate a burger and then went to cross fit. I wonder if body pump class at 24 hour fitness is also something he would consider not good for 4's. Just wondering....
Nice! Did he say cross fit was not good for 4s, or just not good after a burger? The more you exercise now, the more you protect your blood brain barrier and keep fuel and nutrients going to the brain, keeping your neurons happy and alive. This is important for everyone, but especially for 4s. All types of exercise. There is a flattening of the helpfulness curve, but most of us are nowhere close to where it stops being beneficial to add a bit more.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gundry and crossfit

Post by Nikki2019 »

Hi Mike,

On this clip, if you go to 24 minutes, you'll hear what Dr. Gundry says regarding crossfit. He even states " the last thing that apoe4 s should do is cross fit". Maybe it was because of the cheese on the burger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfr9RPq0HFg

I encourage all females to do 3 times per week weight bearing work outs due to bone density needs and help to avoid osteoporosis. Not that I am an expert, but I think that classes that lift weights are something that are good thing. I go to "24 hour fitness" weight lifting group classes and lift just 30 lbs. for arms for example. Maybe Dr. G thinks cross fit is too much and is in a separate category than regular weight lifting type classes. I don't do "cross fit", so I don't know about that.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Youch. I know a number on this site follow Dr Gundry, but this makes no sense to me. I'm with you. I do a variety of exercise - walking the dogs up and down steep hills for 2-3 miles in the morning, working with a PT to work on strength training once a week (may change to twice), and I try to play volleyball a couple times a week...that's the goal anyway!
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

mike wrote:Youch. I know a number on this site follow Dr Gundry, but this makes no sense to me. I'm with you. I do a variety of exercise - walking the dogs up and down steep hills for 2-3 miles in the morning, working with a PT to work on strength training once a week (may change to twice), and I try to play volleyball a couple times a week...that's the goal anyway!
Right on, Mike! Keep it up. I am sure your dogs appreciate it too.