Anyone here using Kaiser for RECODE?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone here using Kaiser for RECODE?

Post by Nikki2019 »

Hi everyone,

We have Kaiser right now. I tried calling and asking them if they have any Bredesen trained docs. Got switched a bunch to different departments, of course with an answer of " I don't know". "I don't know" means "no". But, just want to be thorough because there are a lot of things I like about Kaiser.

I assume even other docs through PPOs etc., don't have insurance cover labs, etc. Probably most are paying out of pocket for Bredesen trained services?

Best Wishes,
Nikki
As E4 s, we are inherent fighters and don't give up so easily.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Anyone here using Kaiser for RECODE?

Post by NF52 »

Nikki2019 wrote:Hi everyone,

We have Kaiser right now...
I assume even other docs through PPOs etc., don't have insurance cover labs, etc. Probably most are paying out of pocket for Bredesen trained services?...
Nikki
Hi Nikki,
I can't speak for all of Kaiser, but do know someone who is on Kaiser and was able to get a fair portion of blood work done through her PCP, in part because she was over 65 and also had some pre-existing health history. With ReCODE you are paying the company for both the lab work and the interpretation of those labs using their proprietary algorithm. What some people have done instead is to focus on areas which they think might be problematic, get some labs in that area and then either work with their PCP or, in some cases, a functional medicine provider, or possibly a health coach (who is not practicing medicine) to guide next steps.

Here's a forum thread that Julie G. started on this topic in 2018, with a range of opinions: Can I practice the Bredesen protocol without a trained practitioner?.

And here's a wiki resource on direct-to-consumer testing options, to supplement what Kaiser won't cover: Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options.
Hope this helps!
4/4 and still an optimist!
oaklandMike
New User
New User

Post by oaklandMike »

I've just had a disappointing appointment with my Kaiser doctor. She wasn't willing to do any of the lab work other than the thyroid function (and only because I told her my mom is taking thyroid medication). I'm over 60 and my mom's dad and her older brother both died of Alzheimer's. My mom is now showing serious symptoms of cognitive decline in her mid-80s. Ironically, neither she nor her dad or brother have or had Apoe4. But I do! So I feel like I should be taking it very seriously, because something is causing it in my family even when that gene isn't present. I'm so disappointed that KP's physicians are still so skeptical of anything not fully accepted by the allopathic community.
seachangehealthcoach
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seachangehealthcoach »

oaklandMike wrote:I've just had a disappointing appointment with my Kaiser doctor. She wasn't willing to do any of the lab work other than the thyroid function (and only because I told her my mom is taking thyroid medication). I'm over 60 and my mom's dad and her older brother both died of Alzheimer's. My mom is now showing serious symptoms of cognitive decline in her mid-80s. Ironically, neither she nor her dad or brother have or had Apoe4. But I do! So I feel like I should be taking it very seriously, because something is causing it in my family even when that gene isn't present. I'm so disappointed that KP's physicians are still so skeptical of anything not fully accepted by the allopathic community.
Hi oaklandMike,
Welcome to the Forum - we are so glad you found us! Sounds like you are concerned and a bit frustrated; it is my hope that this forum will provide you with information and resources that can be of comfort and guidance moving forward. You are wise to search beyond what KP's physicians are willing to test for at this time. Your curiosity and willingness to learn is admirable. Following are some links that I hope you find helpful as you explore. Please stay in touch and keep asking questions! Wishing you all the best...

How-To Guide

Primer

Our Stories

Here is a link to the Direct to Consumer Lab Tests from the Wiki:
Direct to Consumer Lab Test Options

Here is a link to the Biomarker section of the Primer where there is information on what tests to prioritize:
Biomarker
Jennifer Balzano
Founder, SeaChange Health Coaching
M.A., B.S., Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

With ReCODE you are paying the company for both the lab work and the interpretation of those labs using their proprietary algorithm.
It's not quite as clear cut as that. The participant has the option of using Premier Laboratories with whom Apollo Health has negotiated a discounted bundle price (no mark-up) or their own choice of labs. The benefit of using Premier is that the PreCODE or ReCODE Report is automatically populated with results. If you use your own labs, you end up having to pay someone (an administrative assistant or health coach) to manually upload all of the laboratory values undermining any savings. The only interpretation that Apollo Health provides is in the form of the PreCODE or ReCODE reports. You can see a sample report by clicking on each.

There are Bredesen trained physicians who order their own labs (so insurance will cover) and even those who take Medicare, Medicaid and private health insurance. Unfortunately, until this approach becomes more mainstream, these folks are hard to find. See FAQs and their Practitioner Finder for more information.