NMR Saturated Fat Experiment N=1

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
shuttrbg222
Contributor
Contributor

NMR Saturated Fat Experiment N=1

Post by shuttrbg222 »

I'm a 3/4. I've been testing my Lipids using NMR every 6 months since starting LCHF diet. After a year eating LCHF my numbers looked like this

6/7/19
LDL-P 1747
LDL-C 169
TC- 251
HDL-67
TG- 77

So I decided to try to replace saturated fats with MUFA, ( Olive oil, Avocado etc). Here are the results after almost 6 months

12/9/19
LDL-P 1658
LDL-C 144
TC- 221
HDL-62
TG- 77

I didn't completely eliminate SFA but reduced it quite a bit. I think I will continue to lower SFA. I'm not convinced that high LDL-P is safe and until we learn more i would rather not be on the extreme high end of things. I am pretty sure because of my genetic status (PPar gamma etc) I don't tolerate SFA well. I will let you know what the next test shows.

Paul
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: NMR Saturated Fat Experiment N=1

Post by Julie G »

Hi Paul! I'm surprised at how (relatively) steady your HDL remained despite the drop in SFA. IMO, that's a positive as I've seen many men especially lower HDL significantly with a lower SFA diet. To the extend that particle number relates to particle size and the potential for IR, things seem to be moving in the right direction. Did you also heck glycemic markers (A1c, fasting glucose and insulin?) to verify? Thanks for sharing :-)
shuttrbg222
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shuttrbg222 »

I wasn't aware that HDL went down on men who lowered SFA. I will have to look into that. My overall fat stayed the same. I also did fasting insulin ( 4.1) and HSCRP (.3). My A1C has always been under 5 so didn't test that this time. I'm also going to be testing Homocysteine soon as I have MTHFR mutations, but that's another story.
baccheion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baccheion »

What about sdLDL, oxLDL, small particle count, and other markers said to be more relevant? Hs-CRP?

Selenium seems to clip peroxidation before it even happens, with vitamin E (beta-carotene, etc) being more reactive. How much selenium and fat-soluble vitamins? What ratio of omega-3 to omega-6?
apoe4thebetter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by apoe4thebetter »

shuttrbg222 wrote:I'm a 3/4. I've been testing my Lipids using NMR every 6 months since starting LCHF diet. After a year eating LCHF my numbers looked like this

6/7/19
LDL-P 1747
LDL-C 169
TC- 251
HDL-67
TG- 77

So I decided to try to replace saturated fats with MUFA, ( Olive oil, Avocado etc). Here are the results after almost 6 months

12/9/19
LDL-P 1658
LDL-C 144
TC- 221
HDL-62
TG- 77

I didn't completely eliminate SFA but reduced it quite a bit. I think I will continue to lower SFA. I'm not convinced that high LDL-P is safe and until we learn more i would rather not be on the extreme high end of things. I am pretty sure because of my genetic status (PPar gamma etc) I don't tolerate SFA well. I will let you know what the next test shows.

Paul
Hi Paul,

My LDL-P also came back elevated after 3 months of keto (>2000), and I'm doing an N=1 experiment to replace SFAs eg. coconut with MUFAs eg. EVOO just like you did. Details of my story are here: https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... 171#p75915. I'm curious about your 6-month June numbers if you don't mind sharing--did you see further improvement in LDL-P after continuing to reduce SFAs?

Thanks,
apoe4thebetter
apoe4thebetter | 3/4 | experimenting with diet to work through A1c and LDL challenges
shuttrbg222
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shuttrbg222 »

Thanks for the reminder, I’m due for some testing. I’ll let you know shortly.