musings on APOe4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: musings on APOe4

Post by CarrieS »

Ski wrote:Im going to steal and modify a quote relevant to our situation, but that really hit home with me………be diligent, prudent and a fighter but remember that life is so short regardless and don’t give up enjoying the present, for fear of the future, with the result that we do not live in the present or the future and then we die having never really lived.
Thank you. I love your modified quote and also choose to live by this.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
PeteWilliams
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PeteWilliams »

Totally agree with all that has been said. It's important not to get carried away with 1 marker and I would even say the APo E4/4 without looking at the bigger picture.

We all need to practise what we know is general good health. Eat well, mostly plants and not too much, exercise often not too hard or too easy, sleep and be less stressed with great relationships and be happy.

Tests without context and the ability to track over time are less valuable. Develop a regime that allows you to do this.

Great discussion.

Pete
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

We all need to practise what we know is general good health. Eat well, mostly plants and not too much, exercise often not too hard or too easy, sleep and be less stressed with great relationships and be happy.

Tests without context and the ability to track over time are less valuable. Develop a regime that allows you to do this.
Love this! Thank you, Pete.
Inga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inga »

Hi there. I'm new.Calling myself a 4/4. But who can interpret this data for me: Has two copies of the APOE ε4 variant (Genotype: ε4/ε4).

Has one copy of the APOE ε3 variant and one copy of the ε4 variant (Genotype: ε3/ε4).

Has one copy of the APOE ε2 variant and one copy of the ε4 variant (Genotype: ε2/ε4).

Is it even ha ha worst than being a double carrier? Thanks so much, Inga
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Inga wrote:Hi there. I'm new.Calling myself a 4/4. But who can interpret this data for me: Has two copies of the APOE ε4 variant (Genotype: ε4/ε4).

Has one copy of the APOE ε3 variant and one copy of the ε4 variant (Genotype: ε3/ε4).

Has one copy of the APOE ε2 variant and one copy of the ε4 variant (Genotype: ε2/ε4).

Hi Inga!
This seems like two results too many for one person to have! Is it possible that you have gotten multiple tests, with different results? Ancestry has apparently sometimes reported different SNPs (parts of a gene) that are often consistent with ApoE 4, but not specifically ApoE 4. Apparently one of these can sometimes be interpreted as either ApoE 2 or 3. Reports from 23& me seem to have the most reliability; the company claims 99% or better. You may want to call one of the test providers, explain your differing results and see if they will offer to do another test for you.

Here's a link to SNPedia, which may be helpful in checking your results:
The presence of both rs7412(C;C) and rs429358(C;C) indicates the highest risk APOE-ε4/APOE-ε4. This is checked for by gs216. gs188, gs141, gs189 and other genosets also use this snp pair.
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/APOE-%CE%B54 If you'd like, you can also share what SNPS are on your reports for which results.
4/4 and still an optimist!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Inga wrote:Hi there. I'm new.Calling myself a 4/4. But who can interpret this data for me: Has two copies of the APOE ε4 variant (Genotype: ε4/ε4).

HI Inga, Based just on what you posted I dont think anyone could interpret it for you.
What you have listed there are 3 of he possible combinations of ApoE alleles,
But nothing that I can see that indicates that you are one of those three, or one of the other possibilities.
I strongly suggest that you have a look at the `Primer. It is loaded with helpful information fo someone who, like you, is new to the site, and is an excellent place to begin.
The opening section of the Primer explains what ApoE is and the different variants, and after reading that, I think you’ll understand
That there was no way to interpret what you posted.
Best wishes to you.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Inga wrote: Has one copy of the APOE ε3 variant and one copy of the ε4 variant (Genotype: ε3/ε4).

Echoing the others. How did you learn of this? More than one report? From what testing service?
Tincup
E3,E4
Inga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inga »

Hi all and thankyou so much for your kind attention to my post. Boy did these responses get me wondering. And thankyou for the referral to "Prime". Lots to read there.
I've emailed 23 and me. The raw data they gave me is very difficult to de code. Thanks so much. (Getting to the bottom of it hopefully). Inga
Inga
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inga »

Inga wrote:Hi all and thankyou so much for your kind attention to my post. Boy did these responses get me wondering. And thankyou for the referral to "Prime". Lots to read there.
I've emailed 23 and me. The raw data they gave me is very difficult to de code. Thanks so much. (Getting to the bottom of it hopefully). Inga
Sorry for this awkward learning curve with this interface: And thankyou for your links and suggestions. I am still trying to figure out what I see on my 23 and me report. I wonder does this make sense?: s7412 C to T CC...............rs429358 T to C..........? And then it says NoCall. Can't be interpreted. As best now as I can figure I am a 3/4? They write that most with this combination are 3/4.
Thanks so much, Inga
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Inga wrote:
Inga wrote:Hi all and thankyou so much for your kind attention to my post. Boy did these responses get me wondering. And thankyou for the referral to "Prime". Lots to read there.
Sorry for this awkward learning curve with this interface: And thankyou for your links and suggestions. I am still trying to figure out what I see on my 23 and me report. I wonder does this make sense?: s7412 C to T CC...............rs429358 T to C..........? And then it says NoCall. Can't be interpreted. As best now as I can figure I am a 3/4? They write that most with this combination are 3/4.
Thanks so much, Inga
Hi Inga, One thing you might consider is to run your raw results from 23&Me through Promethease. (Promethease.com)
I think they would give you a definitive answer if one can be deduced from your raw data. Cost used to be $5. I think they may have raised it to $10 but to get this sorted out right be worth it, plus they give you a lot of other info that is not available through 23 & Me.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health