Massachusetts newbie

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Holly
Contributor
Contributor

Massachusetts newbie

Post by Holly »

Good Morning All,

I am new to this forum and relatively new to my 2 allelle ApoE4 status. Late in 2018, at age 70, I started to have difficulty with concentration, sequencing, memory, and balance. I fell twice, injuring myself once, had to concentrate hard to drive and returned home to a smoky house after I left a pot on the stove. My mother died at age 93 from late onset AD so I was pretty scared.

In December of that year I stumbled on Bredesen's book on the new nonfiction shelf in my library. As you can imagine I was excited and relieved to find a proactive approach to addressing cognitive decline. I was already in contact with a nutritionist who believed in eating a paleo and ketogenic diet so with some advice from her I started by going grain free. I also started to exercise vigorously five days a week. Within two weeks my "brain fog" lifted and I was feeling much better.

Motivated by Bredesen's work I decided to find out my ApoE status and underwent genetic testing. I have both alleles which is pretty scary. My next step was to have neuropsychological testing. Much to my surprise and relief that testing showed NO evidence of cognitive decline. So far so good.

Recently however I learned that my cholesterol and thyroid stimulating hormone levels are both rising. My primary asked me to take a kelp supplement plus selenium and also started me on 60 mg of Armour Thyroid. I stopped the thyroid medicine when I experienced some diarrhea but will try it again at a smaller dose. My preliminary research on line seems to indicate that hypothyroidism can be related to eating keto. I'm also concerned that I've been eating too much protein and saturated fat. I could use a lot of help with menu planning.

Most recently over the Christmas holiday I've had a two week bout with the flu, stomach flu, sinus infection and bronchitis. I'm finally on the mend but I found managing my diet soooo difficult under these circumstances. I had no energy for cooking and no appetite for high fat foods. How do you feed yourself within Bredesen's guidelines when you are sick? Until I got sick I was testing my blood sugar and ketone levels regularly and managing to stay in mild ketosis. For the last two weeks I have not tested and my levels have probably been all over the place. Time to get back on track.

I have so many question! I'm hungry (pun intended) for resources on eating a healthy ketogenic diet, understanding my recent lab results, and coping with illness.

I look forward to hearing from you and I wish you a Happy New Year! Holly
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Massachusetts newbie

Post by NF52 »

Holly wrote:...I am new to this forum and relatively new to my 2 allelle ApoE4 status. Late in 2018, at age 70, I started to have difficulty with concentration, sequencing, memory, and balance. I fell twice, injuring myself once, had to concentrate hard to drive and returned home to a smoky house after I left a pot on the stove. My mother died at age 93 from late onset AD so I was pretty scared.. I have both alleles which is pretty scary. My next step was to have neuropsychological testing. Much to my surprise and relief that testing showed NO evidence of cognitive decline. So far so good.
...My preliminary research on line seems to indicate that hypothyroidism can be related to eating keto. I'm also concerned that I've been eating too much protein and saturated fat. I could use a lot of help with menu planning...
Most recently over the Christmas holiday I've had a two week bout with the flu, stomach flu, sinus infection and bronchitis. I'm finally on the mend but I found managing my diet soooo difficult under these circumstances.
I have so many question! I'm hungry (pun intended) for resources on eating a healthy ketogenic diet, understanding my recent lab results, and coping with illness.

I look forward to hearing from you and I wish you a Happy New Year! Holly
Welcome, Holly!!

I wish you a Happier New Year than the one you have been having!
I also want to reassure you that having bronchitis, the flu, a stomach flu, and a sinus infection qualify you as someone who deserves a round of applause for even being able to function at all! And you have done nothing to wreck your brain in the last month.

I can say that with some confidence as a 67 year old ApoE 4/4 woman who regularly gets bronchitis in the winter--and poison ivy in the summer! Our brains are resilient, and changes happen over a much longer period of time and require multiple systems having long-term attacks from within or without. I have been part of a clinical trial for healthy people with ApoE 4/4 from early 2017 to this year. I had neuropsychological tests every 6 months until last September and didn't see any drops in my performance after illnesses, or any changes on my blood labs, which were extensive every 3-6 months. Nor did I see a change in my daily functioning--except for those awful weeks when it felt like my brain was in a fog bank. I also know at least a dozen people on this site between the ages of 60 and 82 who are ApoE 4/4 and doing just fine--so don't believe all the scary statistics, which may have been based on people with far different stories than yours.

It sounds like you're normally energized, engaged in new learning about ApoE 4, and optimistic about being able to chart a course for continued health--all great signs of a person with cognitive reserve and brain resilience. A ketogenic diet is a plus for that, although a Mediterranean diet also seems to be effective. (Lots of opinions among our users on the best eating plans!!)

I am not a medical professional so won't offer a diagnosis or advice on your doctor's recommendations. I will say that it seems like low thyroid tends be associated with being in our 60's or older. I have a sister who is remarkably active (anyone who snowboards is remarkable to me!) and she has taken thyroid medication for years, which is something our mother and several cousins also have had to do. Whether it has anything to do with a keto diet is a question best answered by your nutritionist or others on this forum.

Be kind to yourself while you're ill; you're in good company with lots of other sniffling, miserable-feeling folks right now. But even in winter, the crocuses and daffodils of life are waiting to poke through and make us feel alive again.
P.S. I love Massachusetts, having lived there for a year and having happily used the Mass Pike to travel back and forth for decades!
4/4 and still an optimist!
HopefulCaroline
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HopefulCaroline »

Holly wrote:Good Morning All,

I am new to this forum and relatively new to my 2 allelle ApoE4 status. Late in 2018, at age 70, I started to have difficulty with concentration, sequencing, memory, and balance. I fell twice, injuring myself once, had to concentrate hard to drive and returned home to a smoky house after I left a pot on the stove. My mother died at age 93 from late onset AD so I was pretty scared.

In December of that year I stumbled on Bredesen's book on the new nonfiction shelf in my library. As you can imagine I was excited and relieved to find a proactive approach to addressing cognitive decline. I was already in contact with a nutritionist who believed in eating a paleo and ketogenic diet so with some advice from her I started by going grain free. I also started to exercise vigorously five days a week. Within two weeks my "brain fog" lifted and I was feeling much better.

Hello Holly and Happy New Year!

I hope you continue to feel better! There is so much going around but based on your story I can see you are a fighter! I am beyond impressed with your proactive and positive approach to things. I admire how you have passionately embraced such significant changes and am thrilled to hear that you are experiencing such positive results as it relates to memory, energy and relief from brain fog! Wow!

We are so glad you are here and hope that you continue to learn and contribute. We have a terrific and supportive community and some great resources you might find helpful. Here is the link to our Primer which was written by Stavia, a physician in the group. It's a good place to start. The Wiki is another key part of the site and here is a specific link with recipes and ideas to help answer the question What can I eat? that might be of interest. Also within the Wiki is a spreadsheet with ApoE4 Biomarker Targets, Ranges and Labs that might help you interpret your own. I can definitely relate to needing help with meal planning and recently came across this site which I'm tempted to try. They provide meal plans and shopping lists for a variety of specific eating patterns (i.e Keto, Whole30, Paleo etc.) Here is the link Real Plans if you want to take a look. I will be sure to share my experience if I try it out.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Be well.

Sincerely,
Caroline
Caroline
ApoE4.info Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
“What grows never grows old.” -Noah Benshea
Holly
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Holly »

Thank you both for the warm welcome and words of encouragement. I am checking out the resources you recommended and still hoping to find more information on hypothyroidism. Also, if anyone has good resources for dairy free keto foods that would be helpful. I’m finding that I don’t tolerate dairy very well and many keto recipes are heavy on milk products.

Thanks again, Holly