"Freaking out" update

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
daydreams1991
Contributor
Contributor

"Freaking out" update

Post by daydreams1991 »

Hey, all. I'm the person behind this post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6519

I figured I'd chime in for an update. I'm definitely not as freaked out as I used to be. Sometimes AD will sneak in as a little fear, but I acknowledge the fear with mindfulness and it goes away relatively quick. It's weird how both my faith and rationality have led me to the conclusion that I will die someday of something. It could be AD, but it will be something. AD is one path for me of many and, honestly, late onset AD would be a bad end, but it wouldn't be the worst. Also, as a 3/4 myself, I have to be grateful for what I have. I'm also grateful to be the only one of my siblings to get it.

I've lost 15 pounds since that last post in August and am doing extremely well. People on this forum are right when they tell you that finding out about your status is terrible. It's a straight punch in the gut and can lead to some horrific anxiety and depression over it. But, man, if you run with it, you'll end up so much better for it. Speaking of which, I never knew that I could run... like, actually run! I've been lifting weights too and I've never been so tone. I'm currently about 21 for BMI... something I never thought was possible!

Eating right has also allowed me to think better and feel better too. I haven't gone the absolute distance as many here have, but I've been cutting artificial sugar and most carbs. I was already on the gluten free diet so it wasn't a terrible amount of change. As I get older, I plan on going more hard core, but for now at 28 I'm cool with this. It's also AMAZING how I really should have just been doing this for my present self in the first place! I feel so freaking good!

If anyone is reading this who's just found out they're a 3/4 or 4/4, trust me: it gets better. You'll never forget that you have the gene, but you'll come to a point that you're grateful knowing you have it and that you can make a change to mitigate your risk. Best of luck to all and thank you for all of your help!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: "Freaking out" update

Post by NF52 »

daydreams1991 wrote:Hey, all. I'm the person behind this post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6519

I figured I'd chime in for an update. I'm definitely not as freaked out as I used to be. Sometimes AD will sneak in as a little fear, but I acknowledge the fear with mindfulness and it goes away relatively quick...
I've lost 15 pounds since that last post in August and am doing extremely well....People on this forum are right when they tell you that finding out about your status is terrible. But, man, if you run with it, you'll end up so much better...It's also AMAZING how I really should have just been doing this for my present self in the first place! I feel so freaking good!

If anyone is reading this who's just found out they're a 3/4 or 4/4, trust me: it gets better. You'll never forget that you have the gene, but you'll come to a point that you're grateful knowing you have it and that you can make a change to mitigate your risk. Best of luck to all and thank you for all of your help!
Thank you for a wonderful update!! Your post will absolutely help others who also have that initial gut punch. You’ve shown that we are so much more than our genes! Live that long, great life you have in front of you!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Congrats on all the great lifestyle changes! It's good motivation for me.
jchig23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jchig23 »

Congratulations on your new attitude and lifestyle! I would like to add in that, I too, was "freaked out" by my news of one copy of the allele when I first posted on this forum. Listening to many of those with 2 copies who are moving forward positively gave me a good attitude adjustment, which was extremely helpful!

Now after coming up on my second year of discovery, I am feeling so much better physically with all of these recommended changes, that I realize that "quality of life" is more important than anything, and if I can feel better all the remainder of my life, as much as in my control, that will be wonderful.

You have the added advantage of starting this program at such a young age. You may be able to totally tame the inflammation that contributes to this illness. You give me hope for my adult children, that your generation may be the first to not have to feel hopeless about this genetic predisposition.

Keep us posted on your progress!