New with APOE3/4, MTHFR and MTRR

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Arbre
Contributor
Contributor

New with APOE3/4, MTHFR and MTRR

Post by Arbre »

Hello, I am a 44-year old European man, with APOE3/4 (rs429358(C;T) and rs7412(C;C)), and I have the risk alleles in MTHFR (rs1801131(A;C) and rs1801133(C;T)) and MTRR (rs1801394(A;G)).

In addition to this (unrelated to APOE4, but important for health, due to a high magnitude of 4, according to Promethease), I have a high cardio vascular risk due to rs1333049(C;C).

My paternal grandmother died out of AD. The other grandmother died very young (infectious disease). None of my two grandfathers had AD. My parents so far are in a good shape.

I started a keto diet on August 2019 (unrelated to the genetic results, which I did not know at the time), since I had gained quite a lot of weight. The keto diet (supervised by a doctor; it is almost a pescetarian keto, with little meat, since I prefer fish to meat, and lots of vegetables) has made wonders on me, and I have lost almost 30kg. Now I have a BMI below 25, and I feel great. It seems as if I have rejuvenated a few years.

When I started the keto diet, I had a blood test, which resulted in high cholesterol (244 total, 171 LDL, 51 HDL and 108 triglycerides), and 13.32 micromol/L in homocystein (still in the acceptable range, but my doctor said it would be better below 10).

Now, after I did a 23andme test (the health report is not available in my country, so I ran my raw data with third party applications, like Promethease and Rhonda Patrick's FoundMyFitness), I realized that I had an APOE4 allele, and I had "bad" polymorphisms in MTHFR and MTRR.

I have read the wiki, as well as Dr. Bredesen's book. I see it will take some time to understand everything, since there are many moving parts, interrelated with each other. I see the keto diet is good for me, and I need to reduce homocystein. I am starting to supplement with methylated B vitamins (despite I had high levels of vitamin B12, 812pg/mL and folic acid (folate), at 15.20 microgr/L; I do not know if having these high levels suggest I do not need the methylated versions, or not), and choline. I also supplement vitamin D3 and K2 (since with the blood test I was at 33.3ng/mL, and I would like to go towards the optimal range, a bit higher), and a generic multivitamin, as well as EPA and DHA omega 3s. Also, my doctor recommended me to take probiotics. And I am cultivating my own broccoli sprouts, for the sulphoraphane (and they taste great).

So, looking forward to learn more, especially what it would be best for my APOE3/4, MTHFR and MTRR combination.
Flo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New with APOE3/4, MTHFR and MTRR

Post by Flo »

Arbre wrote:I started a keto diet on August 2019 (unrelated to the genetic results, which I did not know at the time), since I had gained quite a lot of weight. The keto diet (supervised by a doctor; it is almost a pescetarian keto, with little meat, since I prefer fish to meat, and lots of vegetables) has made wonders on me, and I have lost almost 30kg. Now I have a BMI below 25, and I feel great. It seems as if I have rejuvenated a few years.
Dear Arbre,

Hello from a fellow European and a warm welcome to the forum!

Firstly congratulations on your successful weight loss program, that is a tremendous result! With that attitude and determination, I'm sure that you'll be able to resolve your ApoE, MTHFR, MTRR combination in no time.

It's great to hear that you have already embarked on the steep learning curve that is founding out whatever you can about cognitive decline - if you haven't seen it already, the Primer is a great resource for a comprehensive overview of the science behind ApoE allele, important bio-markers to check and prevention strategies. Within the Wiki, there is a neat little section on how to make the most of this website which I would encourage you to read.

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself, I wish you all the best on your learning journey!
Flo
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robhypno »

Hello Arbre

Another european here too

Keto has done wonders for me too

Regarding your numbers I would suggest giving it sometime. Mine were good when I first started and evolved into optimum after over a year of Keto

I’ve come to the idea after a lot of research that so long as the numbers are good and anecdotal feeling better then ever before then the risks are severely reduced. Despite my 4/4 status none is f my family in n either side have or had AD despite our genes being high risk

My mother developed vascular dementia but had a history of strokes. Her diet was awful for decades eating very little in general, high carb/veggie diet with virtually no protein.

I think many are doing various life changing practices to reduce the risk. I’ve headed down the Keto route for now but that may change. I know a good friend who went down the plant based low fat route and has had some staggering results too.

I’m less concerned about my E4 status now as time goes on. Keeping an awareness but the focus on health and life changes to actually enjoy life
Arbre
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Arbre »

Thank you for the answers. I hope I can learn more!