2 year update

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
bwaters
Contributor
Contributor

2 year update

Post by bwaters »

Just wanted to thank everyone for the hard work in developing and maintaining this website. Celebrated two years on the Bredesen protocol yesterday. Memory for names has been greatly improved. Maintained excellent BMI weight for over a year and a half with a strong daily exercise routine. I had to make some modifications on diet due to kidney stone risks and issues. My labs and numbers are all great except testosterone which is low due to a pituitary adenoma tumor which for now is arrested in growth. I take my supplements in the AM & PM - in the AM with several ounces of organic lemon juice (preventative for kidney stones) and then only decaf coffee and water throughout the day - my eating time is between 4-8PM each day so I maintain around a 20 hour daytime fast.
For diet I have 2 ounces of pistaschioes, plaintain chips, cheddar goat cheese (lactose intolerant from genetic profile), and all organic grass fed meats, poultry and fish with onions and mushrooms. Vegetables are just cauliflower and broccoli. Some days just eggs. All products are organic, grass fed - we do most of our shopping at our local co-op and Aldie's. All cooking done with virgin olive oil. Drinks include a daily low-carb beer and organic tart cherry juice (gout preventative along with other good things). Treats are 1 small square of 95% cocoa dark chocolate and PUR sugar free mints. I have completely cut out all processed foods, grains, etc. My daily exercise routine last about 4 hours with long elliptical, biking, rowing machine and weights strengthening. I have been following this routine based on the information from Dr. Bredesen's "The End of Alzheimer's", Dr. Amen's "Memory Rescue", Amy Berger's "The Alzheimer's Antidote", Dr. Gundry's "The Longevity Paradox" & "The Plant Paradox" and Max Lugavere's "Genius Foods". These are all excellent books that really focus on diet and lifestyle change. Because of my familial and genetic risk for kidney stones and gout along with my Alzheimer's risk I have really had to modify my diet - there are a lot of things I could eat under the protocol that I can't because of kidney stone risk. The main thing is that I have been sticking to my routine now for a long time and really have never felt better. My energy level during the day is tremendous and I really feel very focused and sharp with memory and activity. I think it is amazing the information and great work being done for Alzheimer's prevention and it is possible to get off the standard American diet and have a healthy lifestyle - the options and choices are there and easier to implement if you really stick with it. I have maintained a strong natural supplement routine based on my labs and have had great cooperation with my internal medicine doctor for doing lab followups based on reccomendations from Bredesen, Amen & Gundry books. ( won't go into detail here on labs and supplements - I can post it if anyone is interested). When I run into people in my age group who talk about memory and dementia issues I encourage to get the books and inform themselves about lifestyle changes and to go to this website. Thank you again for all you do.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 2 year update

Post by slacker »

bwaters wrote:Just wanted to thank everyone for the hard work in developing and maintaining this website. Celebrated two years on the Bredesen protocol yesterday.
An inspiring update! Thanks for sharing.
Slacker
E4/E4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

bwaters wrote:When I run into people in my age group who talk about memory and dementia issues I encourage to get the books and inform themselves about lifestyle changes and to go to this website. Thank you again for all you do.
I agree, very inspirational and encouraging! Thank you for sharing your story!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

bwaters wrote:Celebrated two years on the Bredesen protocol yesterday.
Thanks so much for posting this update on your success over two years, including specifics of how you have achieved this
and adapted it to your own personal physiology. So good to hear that your energy levels are excellent,
bwaters wrote:The main thing is that I have been sticking to my routine now for a long time and really have never felt better.
This is such a wonderful statement! Congratulations!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health