Epiphanies on “Lose weight with this one weird trick”

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Epiphanies on “Lose weight with this one weird trick”

Post by Nords »

Here’s an odd update: eating fewer calories with a physically smaller stomach.

I don’t understand this phenomenon or its symptoms very well, so I’ll write about it. Maybe someone else will benefit from my “Well, duh” epiphanies.

I’ve been “losing weight” since reaching 198 pounds in 2013. My Dad had been in an Alzheimer’s care facility for over two years, and I’d realized that a lower body weight is a long-term benefit for my cognition as well as my damaged knees.

That vague goal has evolved into (1) “have a waist size of 35 inches or at least six-pack abdominal muscles” and (2) “weigh less than 185 pounds.”

The first goal comes from a bodyfat correlation of having a waist circumference of no more than half of your height. I have no idea whether it’s any more valid than BMI or any other ratio, but it’s been a challenging goal.

The second goal comes from my 8’4” stand-up paddleboard, which advertises its max buoyancy as 185 pounds. I paddle a lot better when the SUP is floating instead of pearling.

The process is more important than the goal. As usual, specific goals are a lot easier to pursue. I’ve reached both (with only four of the six-pack abs), and now I’m going to maintain them for more than a few months.

I’ve stayed within these goals when I:
1. Log the calories. I use MyFitnessPal’s free app.
2. Eat a routine menu of a handful of choices. I don't care about cooking.
3. Enjoy veggies like raw kale and broccoli. I’m still surprised at typing that sentence.
4. Functional fitness instead of exercising. As a military vet I prefer yardwork, heavy cleaning, surfing, and walking through new scenery instead of working out.

Those four tactics are part of my daily routine.

18 months ago my spouse and I participated in a metabolic rate research test with Old Dominion University. (They had lots of young healthy adults to experiment with, so they were happy to work with older adults.) Their gear analyzed our exhalations to determine that I was metabolizing 80% fat and 20% carbohydrates. They seemed a bit surprised at this, but for several years I’ve cut carbs in favor of protein & fats. I also exercise at a lower (sustainable) heartrate to encourage burning fat instead of glucose.

I’ve been a “breakfast before exercise” guy for about 40 years, mainly from an advertising-provoked fear of hypoglycemia. Last month’s epiphany was that if I’m burning fat then I probably won’t run out of energy before breakfast, and I can just wait until I’m hungry before eating. That works well, and even when I’m up at 4 AM I can wait until 9 AM to eat.

The new (weird) part of my daily routine is that my stomach seems to have shrunk. It started last month when I had upset digestion for three days. The first day was cramping almost as bad as appendicitis, and I didn’t feel hungry again until the fourth day. Since then it takes less volume of food to make me feel satiated. It’s remotely similar to the experience I’ve read about with some bariatric surgeries.

Suddenly I understand what some of you have written about intermittent fasting.

When I eat a big salad then I seem to have less stomach volume for other calories, and it takes longer for me to get hungry. I’m still eating between 8 AM - 7 PM, but I’ve cut 3-4 snacks out of that routine. I'm eating 300-600 fewer calories per day (10%-25% less) but I’m not hungry.

My next experiment: a treadmill desk. If I can move my legs a couple miles per day while still typing 100 WPM, then I’ll have the best of both worlds.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.