New here 4/4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
tracyrae986
New User
New User

New here 4/4

Post by tracyrae986 »

I am 4/4. My mother's only sister was also 4/4 (mom passed at 51 before I could test her). My Aunt S started showing symptoms early 50's, was non verbal by 60, passed at 70. I had mentally prepared to somewhat follow her path even with diet/exercise/knowledge. I just checked her rs5882 and it was A A. Mine -AND all four of my kids.... GG!!!! Here's to a bit more hope :)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: New here 4/4

Post by Tincup »

tracyrae986 wrote:
Moved your post to this new subject as the original thread had not had posts since 2016.
Tincup
E3,E4
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings Tracy and welcome to the apoe4.info site and thank you for sharing your family history with us! Sorry to hear that your mom passed on so early but kudos on your awareness and ability to seek out a better future for yourself and your family. Warm Regard
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

tracyrae986 wrote:I am 4/4. My mother's only sister was also 4/4 (mom passed at 51 before I could test her). My Aunt S started showing symptoms early 50's, was non verbal by 60, passed at 70. I had mentally prepared to somewhat follow her path even with diet/exercise/knowledge. I just checked her rs5882 and it was A A. Mine -AND all four of my kids.... GG!!!! Here's to a bit more hope :)
Hooray for hope and good genes!

Welcome from another 4/4 who is also hopeful (and an optimist) at age 67. For those like me who don't have all these wonderful SNPs down, I've borrowed a section from Snpedia:
This SNP rs5882 in the CETP gene referred to as ILE405VAL and RSAI405V has been related to ageing and exceptional long life. A study in Ashkenazi Jews showed that individuals homozygotic for the G allele have significantly longer lifespans.

OMIM 118470
Desc LONGEVITY, EXCEPTIONAL
Variant 0004
Related also
New research also indicates that G homozygotes have an average of 70% less risk of dementia and Alzheimer's disease
Snpedia: rs5882

Nothing like "exceptional longevity" and "70% lower odds of dementia" to put a feeling of spring in the air. We're so glad you found out, and shared the good news of yourself and your 4 kids. It proves what we often point out: we are each only 50% of each parent, 25% of each grandparent and 12.5% of each great-grandparent. So we have our own road to travel and can find great directions to help us on the way.
4/4 and still an optimist!
HopefulCaroline
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HopefulCaroline »

tracyrae986 wrote:I am 4/4. My mother's only sister was also 4/4 (mom passed at 51 before I could test her). My Aunt S started showing symptoms early 50's, was non verbal by 60, passed at 70. I had mentally prepared to somewhat follow her path even with diet/exercise/knowledge. I just checked her rs5882 and it was A A. Mine -AND all four of my kids.... GG!!!! Here's to a bit more hope :)
tracyrae986,

Hello and welcome to our community. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear of your mom's very early passing as well as your aunt's struggle and passing from dementia. Our community members can very much identify with your story. As NF52 so eloquently said "Hooray for hope and good genes!" There is plenty of knowledge on this site that can hopefully provide value on your road to a long life. I would like to point out a few resources that may be of interest. Our Primer, written by a physician who is also a member, is an introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies. Our Wiki will provide details on underlying scientific concepts, specific dietary protocols, lab benchmarks as well as how to make the most of the site.

Thank you for sharing. Please reach out if we can help in any way.

Sincerely,
Caroline
Caroline
ApoE4.info Intern
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
“What grows never grows old.” -Noah Benshea
Blissful1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Blissful1 »

I just read the post that CETP rs5882 G/G is related to long health life and 70% less risk of Alzhiemers! Doing my happy dance! I came to the forum to look up some SNPS and found this. I believe I will just stop for today and enjoy this great news. Thanks to all who help research and post
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Blissful1 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:58 pm I just read the post that CETP rs5882 G/G is related to long health life and 70% less risk of Alzhiemers! Doing my happy dance! I came to the forum to look up some SNPS and found this. I believe I will just stop for today and enjoy this great news. Thanks to all who help research and post
Thanks so much for sharing this happy news! As the inveterate searcher of fun facts in Snpedia who posted that way back before we all started living in COVID-reality, I'm thrilled to hear it's given you good news!

Live life happily!

Nancy (NF52)
4/4 and still an optimist!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Blissful1 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:58 pm I just read the post that CETP rs5882 G/G is related to long health life and 70% less risk of Alzhiemers! Doing my happy dance! I came to the forum to look up some SNPS and found this. I believe I will just stop for today and enjoy this great news. Thanks to all who help research and post
Hey, Blissful1, CONGRATULATIONS!! That is great news!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health