Cardio IQ and NMR Test's. Any areas to improve and how?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Cardio IQ and NMR Test's. Any areas to improve and how?

Post by Vikingman »

This is my first blood test since learning I had APOE 4/4. I was reading about Cholesterol on Peter Attia's website and he recommended the NMR.

I am guessing I need to focus on bringing down my LDL-P and my LDL-C? The most positive thing I read was the my insulin sensitivity scores were very good. I am guessing the high LDL-P is due to being 4/4 and possibly a "hyper-absorber". (57 yr old male that is humbled and motivated to learn and improve. Is it possible to lower LDL-P quickly. I will do whatever it takes.

I thought I was eating healthy before but I now plan to add more soluble fiber, more veggies, and some fish. More of a Dr. Gundy diet. Any other suggestions? I also read that statins can lower particle count in half.

LDL-P - 1543 (Borderline High)
LDL-C - 145 (Borderline High)
HDL-C - 67 (Desirable)
TG- 112 (Desirable)
TC - 234 (High)

LDL and HDL Particles:

HDL-P (total) - 34 ( 73rd percentile)
Small LDL-P - 375 - (37th percentile)
LDL Size - 21.4 (Large Pattern A)

LipoProtein Markers associated with Insulin Resistance and Diabetes Risk:

Large VLDL-P <0.8
Large HDL-P - 9.1
VLDL size - 39.7
LDL size - 21.4
HDL size - 9.3
HDL -P 375

Insulin Resistance Score - 13th percentile (Green score so good.)

Questions:
Which biomarker should I focus on to bring down?
How often should I re-test in order to make fastest progress?
Last edited by Vikingman on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaleBru
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: My First NMR Lipoprofile with Insulin Resistance #'s.

Post by DaleBru »

Vikingman wrote: Questions:
Which biomarker should I focus on to bring down?
How often should I re-test in order to make fastest progress?
I suggest you focus on the ratio of TG / HDL. Less than 1.5 is okay, less than 1.0 is good. My LDL is higher than yours, but I have learned that high LDL is good and low LDL is bad. We have been lied to, to state it kindly.

You can learn a lot at cholesterolcode.com. Go to the lowcarbusa.com conference in Denver in mid March, or pay a rather small amount to stream it. Read Eat Rich, Live Long by Ivor Cummins and Dr Jeffry Gerber. Also read Lies My Doctor Told Me by Dr Ken Berry.

It's frustrating that the truth is so hard to find, but learning to get really healthy quickly is worth the effort, IMO.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: My First NMR Lipoprofile with Insulin Resistance #'s.

Post by Vikingman »

I suggest you focus on the ratio of TG / HDL. Less than 1.5 is okay, less than 1.0 is good. My LDL is higher than yours, but I have learned that high LDL is good and low LDL is bad. We have been lied to, to state it kindly.

You can learn a lot at cholesterolcode.com. Go to the lowcarbusa.com conference in Denver in mid March, or pay a rather small amount to stream it. Read Eat Rich, Live Long by Ivor Cummins and Dr Jeffry Gerber. Also read Lies My Doctor Told Me by Dr Ken Berry.

It's frustrating that the truth is so hard to find, but learning to get really healthy quickly is worth the effort, IMO.[/quote]

DaleBru,

Thank you so much for this information.( High LDL is good and and Low LDL bad....= mind blown today) I knew too low was an issue and according to Bresenden it should be lower than what mine is now. But I am gradually wrapping my mind around many new variables. I was going to focus on lowering LDL-P and LDL-C according to Dr. Bresenden. Since I look good on my insulin sensitivity I think I will focus on getting my TG/HDL lower as you suggest. My current ratio is 1.67 so with exercise and 16/8 eating window I am hoping to bring that in line. I also just started take BodyBio PC which I heard helps with this ratio. I was also advised this morning by someone else to get my oxLDL and Lp(a) measurements. Will also be getting hsCRP done. Was told not to worry about Total Cholesterol or LDL-C or LDL-P. They said to increase HDL-C because of the following effects. 1. Reverse Cholesterol Transport 2. Antioxidant properties 3. anti-inflammatory properties. Although the benefits of HDL-C are great, they stated that the benefits of HDL-P is a much greater predictive measure of cardio health. They said that a sharp rise in LDL-P could be due to a large increase in LARGE LDL-P which is very positive.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: My First NMR Lipoprofile with Insulin Resistance #'s.

Post by Vikingman »

I was told to also get my oxidized LDL numbers and my LP(a) numbers.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

I just ordered more tests. 1. Cardio IQ subfraction 2. Lp(a) 3. OxLDL 4. Homocysteine 5. CR reactive protein.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

New Test Results from Cardio IQ Subfractionation and other tests. Anyone have any insights that I need to be aware of or to improve?

1. HS C-Reactive Protein - 0.4
2. Homocysteine - 10.8
3. Lipoprotein (a) - <10
4. Oxidized LDL - 41 (Green Zone)
5. Vitamin D - - 59
6. Alkaline Phosphatase - 77 (Not sure how I lowered this from being high for past 20 yrs) Vitamins probably.

1. LDL Particle Number - 1327 (yellow zone)
2. LDL Small - 196 (yellow zone)
3. LDL Medium - 304 (red zone)
4. HDL Large - 6879 (green zone)
5. Total Particles - HDL - 30034
6. Total Particles non HDL - 1669
7. Small HDL Particle Subfractionation - 23155

LDL Particle Subfractions
1. Very Small -d - 68
2. Very Small -c - 71
3. Very Small -b - 67
4. Very Small - a- 61
5. Large -b -273
6. Large -a - 287

IDL Particle Subfractions
1. Small - 166
2. Large - 92

VLDL Particle Subfractions
1. Small - 38
2. Medium - 39
3. OxLDL - 41 (Green Zone)

Lipoprotein Subfractions
1. LDL Pattern - A (Green Zone)
2. LDL Peak Size - 218.2 (Yellow Zone)
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

[quote="Vikingman"]New Test Results from Cardio IQ Subfractionation and other tests. Anyone have any insights that I need to be aware of or to improve?

1. HS C-Reactive Protein - 0.4
2. Homocysteine - 10.8
You mention Dr Bredesen’s ranges in earlier post; if you are using his ranges as targets, then your hsCRP is good and your homocysteine is high.
If you have The End of Alzheimer’s, his recommendations for lowering homocysteine and for re-testing are on pgs 176 and 177.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cardio IQ and NMR Test's. Any areas to improve and how?

Post by Vikingman »

Thank you! I will take a look right now! :)