Healing the brain from past abuses.

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Healing the brain from past abuses.

Post by hairyfairy »

I may have mentioned that in my 20`s and 30`s, I partied a lot with alcohol and some drugs. I was hooked on benzodiazapines for a few years. Now I wonder if because of all this I could have done irreperable damage to my brain and the lifestyle changes that I made in the 90`s may be too late.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Healing the brain from past abuses.

Post by TheresaB »

hairyfairy wrote: Now I wonder if because of all this I could have done irreperable damage to my brain ...may be too late.
Maybe... or maybe not. Bones heal when broken. Lungs regenerate after quitting smoking. Type 2 diabetics can reverse insulin resistance through diet.

The brain is plastic, that is to say it has the ability to change continuously throughout an individual's life. We also make neurons until the day we die. But of course, much like your neglected houseplant after coming back from a week long vacation when it’s wilted and looking bad, unless you nurture it, it will die. But if you water your poor wilted houseplant and you open the curtains to let the sun in through the windows again, it will pop back up.

Do you remember the story of our member Stavia who told us about suffering a terrible brain injury? She was unable to practice as a physician for a while as a result, but she healed her brain back to full function, largely through exercise. Her mental acuity is now very impressive. So if you’ve damaged your brain, you might have to do a little more to overcome that through diet, exercise, sleep and stress reduction, but remember the words of Winston Churchill, “Never, never, never give up.”
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Healing the brain from past abuses.

Post by Tincup »

TheresaB wrote: Do you remember the story of our member Stavia who told us about suffering a terrible brain injury?
Here is the story.
Tincup
E3,E4