Hi...I'm new! And...I'm looking for those are actively doing nose-to-tail carnivore

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Unleashing_kb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi...I'm new! And...I'm looking for those are actively doing nose-to-tail carnivore

Post by Unleashing_kb »

Hello! It's great to virtually meet everyone here. I've been following along for sometime...but this is my first post. =)
Also....i'm in Denver and would love to meet some of the local CO members!

Here's my story... 8-)

I'm 3/4...and I truly don't believe being 3/4 or 4/4 is a negative thing. Actually I believe it can be protective in many ways, and it breaks my heart when the E4 allele is "blamed" directly for Alzheimer's. From my studies, I've come to believe it simply does not pair well with the modern diet, lifestyle and environment. This goes beyond the issues of the Standard American Diet...to include such things such as modern combinations of macros that do not pair well with the E4 allele...even if they are from "clean/whole/organic/non GMO..etc" sources.

My personal journey has found that saturated fats (specifically those from pastured animal meat) are not an issue, as long as they are NOT combined with grains, refined carbs/sugar, inflammatory (specific to each person) plant proteins and anti-nutrients and general inflammation (via blood markers).

Why do I bring theses points up? Because I want to see if i can find others like me!

Meaning you are: 3/4 or 4/4, 40+ years old (FYI...I'm 49 this month), without insulin resistance, (or any history of T2 Diabetes), CD, cholesterol issues, thyroid disorder, inflammation markers and do not take prescriptions medications. I know that is kind of a big ask....but this describes a population of people who are not being studied with regard to ApoE4 and Alzheimer's. Therefore I believe it's important to look into, for a better understanding of E4 within the setting of saturated fats and optimal/protective health and brain health.

For myself...after many diet/lifestyle variations (to included the ReCODE protocol)...I've landed on the path of what I call being a "Fat Fueled ApoE4"...and largely nose-to-tail carnivore. Please note: This decision that was made after extensive research on E4, cholesterol, cardio vascular disease and metabolic disease. Am I saying this is for everyone? No. But I do believe there's a lot of value in the details of why this has been so beneficial for me, considering my general health profile. Therefore it will hopefully help someone else as well.

Last note to my journey....I am a (BIG) data geek. And proactively check all by critical bio-markers. I've found that learning what my optimal individual biological baseline is has been one (if not the best) tool in my tool box of health management and motivation. Any others out there that dig deep on lab results and find it motivating, educational and inspiring to your health journey? Would love to hear your experience so far!

Again...really great to "meet" this group. Collectively we are doing so much to move beyond the label and fear of E4! =)
summer0088
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hi...I'm new! And...I'm looking for those are actively doing nose-to-tail carnivore

Post by summer0088 »

Unleashing_kb wrote:
Hi Unleashing_kb!

I would say welcome but since you've been here for a while, welcome to making your first post :-)

I was fascinated by reading your perspective about the E4 allele.

I hope you find others like you that you are looking for. It would be great if that population was studied.

I myself have not ventured into the carnivore world but maybe there are others here that have.

I hope your discoveries will help others as well!

I'm definitely with you on finding bio-markers educating and motivating.

Excited to watch and see how this goes!

You may want to check out the "How-to" guide it's great and helps to get the most out of the Apoe4 website. You may also want to view the Primer, written by one of our physician members and is a great introduction. Also, feel free to introduce yourself to the community in the Our Stories section.

So glad to have you here, Unleashing_kb!
Unleashing_kb
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hi...I'm new! And...I'm looking for those are actively doing nose-to-tail carnivore

Post by Unleashing_kb »

[quote="summer0088"]

Thank you! This site and group of people are incredible. I love all the input and real thinking being done! Appreciate you sending the 101 info as well...i'll definitely dive in more so I can fully engage to share info and resources.

I'm determined to find a large group like myself that can share stories, data and real experiences. Truly believe it will add significant value to the entire E4 conversation going forward.

Additionally...I'll be sharing lots of personal data and biomarkers to help shed light on my journey. Again....this is where we all learn so much. I wear my E4 badge with pride...we all should. It's not our weakness....it's our strength!

Look forward to sharing and many more conversations!

Cheers!

KB
Brainz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Brainz »

I'm not doing nose-to-tail, but would like to. I'm a 3/4 male and otherwise agree with your perspectives. IMO, the case against saturated fat alone is questionable. But if you're not low carb, then a combined high fat intake seems to exacerbate the problems created by the sugar.

I've been eating mostly meat (grass fed where possible), eggs, nuts and cruciferous veggies now for 4 years and feel/look great. Biomarkers are all the same or better. CAC score is zero.

Count me as a believer.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Unleashing_kb wrote: Also....i'm in Denver and would love to meet some of the local CO members!
Welcome! If you aren't aware already, The Boulder Carnivore Conference 2020 is Aug 1&2.

My 4/4 wife and I live in the CO Front Range area, but aren't carnivores by any stretch of the imagination (though we have friends, like Amber O'Hearn, who are).
Tincup
E3,E4
summer0088
Contributor
Contributor

Post by summer0088 »

Unleashing_kb wrote:
summer0088 wrote:
I so agree with you about the people on this site. I'll be following along and hoping you find your group, and I believe you will! I think it will absolutely add value to the conversation, agreed!

I'll definitely be following along when you share biomarkers too so I can get a better understanding of how changing your diet has impacted them and maybe experiment myself as well :-) And I really love your perspective about the allele status being a strength. Look forward to what's to come!

KB
Unleashing_kb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Unleashing_kb »

[quote="Brainz"]

Hey Brainz! Great to meet you here. 8-)

I noticed a thread here where a few people are logging their markers into a spread sheet. Didn't see your name there...have you done anything like this within the group? I'm in the process of building out a much bigger bio marker tracker for myself and general research. I'll post it once i have it complete.

Curious...how often do you recheck your markers? And to what extent?

Glad to find someone to continue this conversation with!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Unleashing_kb wrote:Hey Brainz! Great to meet you here. 8-)
Hi "kb", I'm jumping into your conversation with "Brainz" to share the hack of our pre-millenium quoting software:

If you want to pull over a whole quote for use or to edit it down, just click on the single quotation mark in the upper right hand of the person's post.

If you want to avoid finding a specific post, and instead just get a message to someone, you can use this formula: [ quote="User Name" ] [ /quote]
NOTE: Note that you have to have two brackets: one with the person's user name in quotes; the second with a slash followed by the word quote. I inserted an extra space after each initial bracket above so that the basic format would display. When you use it to quote, be sure to remove any extra spaces before or after brackets.

Here's a link to Brainz:
Brainz wrote:
Enjoy!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Mags
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mags »

Hi, I'm new to this group and very interested in the carnivore diet - I've been following Kelly Hogan, Laura Spath, Paul Saladino, Ivor Cummins, Dave Feldman, Ken Berry, Nadir Mir Ali, Healthy With Nicole, on YouTube, but haven't yet fully transitioned.. I was vegetarian for 12 yrs and think became very insulin resistant in my 20s, due to a high carb diet (pasta, pizza, bread, wine) but since learning of my e4 status, I have cut carbs, lost 2 stone, (and I wasn't particularly overweight) I do a 24hr fast once a week, and follow the Bredesen no eating 3 hrs before bed, and then not until noon next day. I don't think I am insulin resistant now, but haven't had any blood tests yet.
I'm a full time carer to my dad, who obviously must have at least one e4 lol, and I noticed definite improvements in his cognition (he has vascular dementia) after he eats eggs, or salmon. But most recently folic acid, has also improved things.. so I am investigating the vit b3,6,9,12 deficiencey theory) I was eating a lot of spinach, up until about 6 months ago, and when I stopped, I definitely experienced oxolate dumping (I was athritic for 2 weeks) so I am no longer convinced of the benefits of plants..
I think I would qualify to participate in your research, as 46, experiencing SCI, but feel that I can turn things around.
As for inflammation - about 5 yrs ago I donated a kidney to my brother, had loads of tests (MRI etc) beforehand to establish my health, after the op, the doctors were extremely puzzled, as to why my CRP levels were sky high for a time..I could tell them now lol
Wil be getting homocysteine, hba1c, omegas, hormones etc tested after lockdown ends. ( Currently sheilding my dad) Please let me know if I can contribute these?
My problem with carnivore, is that monthly, I have pretty intense carb cravings..lol but I guess that's a gender specific problem. Anyone else in the community, female, zero carb and happy/healthy? :)
4/4 grateful to this community
candi15
Contributor
Contributor

Post by candi15 »

Hello....I too have been listening to all the same people you mention....VERY interesting.....I am 3/4 but also am very insulin resistant with terrible fasting insulin and glucose numbers. I was previously quite worried about the 'saturated fat' issue, but, having listened to all these people I have come to the conclusion that having 3/4 .......the inflamation and insulin resistance are the things that need to be taken care of first....then to re evaluate once that has been taken care of. From what I have heard, the carnivore diet seems to be the most aggresive at handling these.....and quite delicious !!