Newbie noticing strong cognitive improvement!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
jocelynbailey
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie noticing strong cognitive improvement!

Post by jocelynbailey »

Warmest greetings and appreciation to each of you dedicated and pioneering souls,

Upon discovering this site two months ago, I began tweaking what I'd considered an already fairly clean diet and added several supplements, using primarily the impressive array of resources found here. I carry the APOE 3/4 alleles, and my father died from Alzheimer's complications (pneumonia), my mother 5 months later, also given the same unofficial diagnosis, seemingly out of convenience, as her mind seemed to us lucid. We quietly attributed her death to a broken heart.

Poised to work right away with Bredesen's group (Apollo Health), I approached the practice nearest me, even though they were two months from implementing their ReCode protocols. Just before placing my order for Dr. Goodenowe's prodrome scan test and ProdromeNeuro Plasmalogen Oil Supplement, COVID-19 brought much of our world to a grinding halt.

Without actual test results, my evidence for cognitive improvement is primarily experiential (although my BrainQ scores continue to steadily improve!). My cognition is stronger than its been in years, to which I attribute primarily to fasting 16 hours nightly, adding 1g curcumin/day, improving sleep by way of Lion's Mane and Reishi Mushrooms, adding seaweed and fermented veggies (thank you, Julie, for the interview with Dr. Wahls for these additions), eating far more oily fish (will I ever enjoy sardines?) , eating occasional salmon roe, and several other supplements recommended by several of you here, Dr. Rhonda Patrick's work, and Dr. Bredesen's book.

Prior to discovering this forum, my attempts to avoid Alzheimer's had been piecemeal, with spotty results. Underneath it all, I'd buried the belief that I would follow my father's path; I only hoped to delay it. I imagine that all of us here know and celebrate that ineffable sense of relief in finding here, not only glimmers of hope but personal agency in steering the ship toward a brighter future.

I could not be more grateful.
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newbie noticing strong cognitive improvement!

Post by MicheleCC »

jocelynbailey wrote:Warmest greetings and appreciation to each of you dedicated and pioneering souls,
I could not be more grateful.
Hi Jocelynbailey! Thank you for sharing your story! It is so inspiring to me, and I'm sure will be to many who read it, that there is so much that can be done to prevent and even reverse cognitive decline and other forms of genetic expression. Your story is the reason we do what we do here at apoe4.info!

The wealth of information available on apoe4.info along with people sharing their stories, the community support and the idea sharing can really help make all the difference for people. You mentioned you've been a user on the site for about 2 months and this was your first post. Your motivation to learn, seek out appropriate help and take on self-care is testament that you are your own best doctor and health advocate! As you continue on your health journey, please feel free to reach out with any questions and sharing of future successes as well!

For new users of the site, I suggest starting with the Primer to understand the basics of what the implications of having the apoe4 gene are and then move on to learning "How To" get the most of the apoe4.info website.

Thanks again for sharing your success with us!
Warm regards,
MicheleCC
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
jocelynbailey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jocelynbailey »

Michele, thank you for your warm and supportive response. I especially appreciate your highlighting that we can be our own best doctors and health advocates. I look forward to sharing my successes along the way and am heartened to know that I can ask questions.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Without actual test results, my evidence for cognitive improvement is primarily experiential (although my BrainQ scores continue to steadily improve!). My cognition is stronger than its been in years, to which I attribute primarily to fasting 16 hours nightly, adding 1g curcumin/day, improving sleep by way of Lion's Mane and Reishi Mushrooms, adding seaweed and fermented veggies (thank you, Julie, for the interview with Dr. Wahls for these additions), eating far more oily fish (will I ever enjoy sardines?) , eating occasional salmon roe, and several other supplements recommended by several of you here, Dr. Rhonda Patrick's work, and Dr. Bredesen's book.
A warm welcome, jocelynbailey. What an inspirational post! You've narrowed in on key strategies (fasting, sleep, diet) that yield big results for most of us. Curcumin was a game changer for me as well. Kudos on your improvements. :D Keep us posted on your progress.
jocelynbailey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jocelynbailey »

Julie, I appreciate your warm welcome and am heartily thanking you for the myriad ways your contributions offer both hope and agency to those of us wanting to redirect our genetics. Sharing your daily routines and protocols has helped me shape my own practices with highly favorable results. The podcasts so far have been superb, complete with resources and notes that allow us to tune in at various points as we wish. Lastly, I also live near Lake Michigan (South Bend is about 45 minutes away) and enjoyed learning about your finding it a source of nourishment, too. Very inspiring to imagine you walking outside regularly, despite our MidWestern blusters. You are in my regular prayers of gratitude and continued well-being, Julie. Jocelyn
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Lastly, I also live near Lake Michigan (South Bend is about 45 minutes away) and enjoyed learning about your finding it a source of nourishment, too.
Lucky you! You've got Whole Foods and Purple Porch too. Have you discovered that resource yet? Let's plan to meet for a cup of coffee or tea next time (it's safe :? ) and I'm in your neck of the woods.